Thread: mackerel from the surf

Default mackerel from the surf

pretty cool

Default Re: mackerel from the surf

I did that with sardines in Calif . Went out to the alameda rock wall and everyone was catch sardines the same way . I had a light polewith me and luckily had the same set up as everyone else. Caught 7 at a time,good fight. I was giving them to a guy. His wife was taking them off the hook for him and a older women was cleaning them. We had a system going …. Fun day

Do the Mack ever get Close to the Surf in New Jersey. I'm sure there was a time. I have caught Tinkers while snapper fishing put that was when I was 15 years old. Long time ago.

I remember jigging them as a kid with my cousin for shark bait out on his boat pretty fun for a kid.I've never seen them in the surf.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

We use to catch tinker mackerel off the pier with a few thimble eye mackerel mixed in usually in the the summer. The rig of choice was small long shanked gold hooks that we covered the shank with a bar straw red and white striped worked best remember the Sabik rig had not been invented yet. We had to improvise there was no INTERNET you had to be creative 50% of todays fisherman would not have survived. As far a Boston mackerel we caught a few mixed in with the whiting from the pier. But then again we plugged whiting off the and jetties in the winter months but that was long ago. We live lined tinkers for Bonita ,false albacore and Spanish mackerel off the pier back in the day. We fished for everything and still do. Who would ever think there would be a group of INTERNET trained cell phone blitz bunker fisherman what a joke.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    We had to improvise there was no INTERNET you had to be creative 50% of todays fisherman would not have survived.

With the damage done by Sandy to many areas still not resolved, fishing access is ever harder to protect and maintain. There is a new breed of fishermen who don't see anything wrong with posting detailed pics and locations on the internet or facebook.......

In the Winter, it's less noticable.....less are fishing....and is one of the reasons I spent so much time enjoying the solitude in Dec and Jan....
    Come May with less access, spots will turn into huge traffic jams.......the usual amount of bad behavior toward homeowners, and as a result we may lose more access.......

I know some folks who live in those areas, and fish as well. Some tell me they can't wait for striped bass fishing to be declared overfished because they are so disappointed with the behavior of a few now.......

In the end, it's the behavior of a few, who will ruin it for the rest of us........
    I sometimes wish we could turn back the hands of time and there would be no internet or cell phone reports....but how realistic is that?

Thanks for sharing that, Fin....I never get tired hearing the stories of you and your pals fishing the LB Pier and Sea Bright wall 30 years ago.....

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    We use to catch tinker mackerel off the pier with a few thimble eye mackerel mixed in usually in the the summer. The rig of choice was small long shanked gold hooks that we covered the shank with a bar straw red and white striped worked best remember the Sabik rig had not been invented yet. We had to improvise there was no INTERNET you had to be creative 50% of todays fisherman would not have survived. As far a Boston mackerel we caught a few mixed in with the whiting from the pier. But then again we plugged whiting off the and jetties in the winter months but that was long ago. We live lined tinkers for Bonita ,false albacore and Spanish mackerel off the pier back in the day. We fished for everything and still do. Who would ever think there would be a group of INTERNET trained cell phone blitz bunker fisherman what a joke.

Awesome read, I can't imagine seeing that. thank you sir

Thank you for sharing. Interesting read and a testament to days gone by.