Thread: Pennsylvania Pride......Pa Modern Fishing tackle and gear Manufacturers

Default Bucktails, teasers, teasers, jigs, and more teasers

Got a chance to meet Tom Scibek of East Fallowfield, Pa, aka the teaser man. He makes bucktails, shad darts, hair jigs, teasers. The way he talked about his craft, you would swear he has a PHD in chremistry. He went on in great detail how much of a challenge it was to turn white bucktails black, and make the colors last. PH is important in the process, along with a whole host of other factors.

He had hundreds of teasers, regular and stainless, for sale at good prices, in addition to his bucktails and jigs, and large quantities of deer hair.

Not only is the guy a fanatic about deer hair and the things you can make with it, he's a motocross nut!!! At 62, he's still ridin and winning a trophy here and there. Power to ya, man. Nice meetin ya.

Attachment 5002

Attachment 5003

Attachment 5004

Attachment 5005

Attachment 5006
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2-15 md show 022.jpg   2-15 md show 021.jpg  

2-15 md show 014.jpg   2-15 md show 016.jpg  

2-15 md show 020.jpg  

Default Pierson Plugs

Met Bill Pierson and his wife of Pierson Plugs. Check out these plugs!

For the most part, the plugs are clear cedar or maple, with some bright accents. We had a good conversation about how the action of the plug is more important than anything else, and I guess his "plain" cedar plugs that catch fish are proof of this. Prices range from $3 to $20. He lives in Perkiomenville, Pa, right near the reservoir. Stop by his shop to talk about plugs, or watch him hit the reservoir for plug R&D to test his new stuff. Or you can find him at a few more shows he'll be doing.

Attachment 5206

Attachment 5207

Attachment 5208

Attachment 5209

Attachment 5210

He's been doing it since he got laid off as an aircraft mechanic 20 years ago. He puts 5-7 coats of clear on each plug, and says saltwater doesn't affect the plug, for those interested in using these plugs for striped bass. The plugs are designed and used for big muskies. He's got an album with pics of guys who caught big fish on his plugs, including tuna.

He gets the material from trees on his property, and they mill and shape it into the raw stock he needs to create the plug.

One of the coolest things about meeting this guy is that he's a freshwater AND saltwater fanatic, and his wife fishes too.

He knows Island Beach State Park in NJ well, and he knows Tony Spina! The guy lives over 100 miles away from Tony, and remembers him from fishing IBSP. Small world.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2-22-09 173.jpg   2-22-09 175.jpg  

2-22-09 176.jpg   2-22-09 177.jpg  

2-22-09 174.jpg  

Bill and his wife
    Attachment 5211

Big wood, good for toothy muskies or striped bass
    Attachment 5213

Clear cedar and maple plugs
    Attachment 5214

He invented this killer bluefish rig, comes with a wire leader and extra hooks. Made out of rock maple, it's rock,jetty, and teeth proof. Guys in Mass use it to get live bunker under the bluefish and get to the bass.
    Attachment 5215

Some alligator muskies a guy caught using one of his plugs.
    Attachment 5216

I never fished these, but guys fish them for muskies all the time. If I were to use one in the salt, I would definitely swap out their freshwater hooks for VMC's.

Beyond all this, Bill seemed like a genuinely nice guy. He's a smart businessman and self-promoter, but he's also generous with his time and advice. Kinda reminds me of Charleston from another site I used to be on.

Bill said he's helped about 7 or 8 guys learn the craft, and they're now making plugs like he taught them. He's also got the local kids involved in fishin and "testing" his plugs, keeps them out of trouble.

At the end of the show, a young girl stopped by with her Dad, and he gave her a plug as a gift. With the scarcity of women entering the sport today, it was a generous gesture, and she and her Dad appreciated it.

Nice meetin ya, Bill. The next time I come out your way, I'm bringin my freshwater gear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2-22-09 184.jpg   2-22-09 181.jpg  

2-22-09 180.jpg   2-22-09 179.jpg  

2-22-09 172.jpg  

Default Art Hoch Plugs - Pennsburg, Pa

Art Hoch is a protege of Bill Pierson who has been making plugs on his own for a little over a year now. He had plugs of all sizes, mostly cedar, though he will make different plugs & designs upon request and is starting to experiment with different wood.

He style is to make the plugs and then woodburn the details into them, and finish with several coats of poly. He did say he would use different sealing and curing methods if the market demand developed for saltwater versions of his plugs.

For now, guys use them mostly to catch largemouths and big muskies. He has a bounty on any of his plugs that are used and battered in a battle with a big fish. If you bring it to him with your fish story, hell buy it back from you so he can put it on display.

Nice meetin ya, Art, and best of luck with the business.

Attachment 5246

Attachment 5247

Attachment 5248

Attachment 5249

Attachment 5250
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2-22-09 148.jpg   2-22-09 142.jpg  

2-22-09 143.jpg   2-22-09 146.jpg  

2-22-09 150.jpg  

Art Hoch Plugs

Attachment 5251

Attachment 5252

Attachment 5253

Some of his biggest plugs are 9" and 2-3+ ounces.
    Attachment 5254

His plugs are priced from $5- $20 depending on the size and level of detail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2-22-09 149.jpg   2-22-09 152.jpg  

2-22-09 153.jpg   2-22-09 154.jpg  

Default Fish-Tel lure company

Met Angus from Fish-Tek lures, out of Lebanon, NJ. He decided to start his business 10 years ago, making indestructible plugs out of plastic. Price ranges from $5-10 for his poppers and surface swimmers. He says they don't sink, and are fished on the surface.

He also has a line of large spinnerbaits used for muskies. Nice meetin ya, Angus.

Attachment 5817

Attachment 5818

Attachment 5819
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3-15-09 018.jpg   3-15-09 019.jpg  

3-15-09 020.jpg  

Default Jim Baumbach Master Fly maker

Met Jim and his wife Sue out of Steelton Pa., near Harrisburg. Jim has been tying salt and freshwater flies for 30 years.

He has also been a fly fishing instructor or consultant at Lehigh, Bucknell, and Allentown Universities. After talking to him for a few minutes, I could see why.

Every now and then, you run into someone who is truly passionate about what he does. Sure we all love fishing, and are passionate about it, but that's not what I'm talking about. After you meet enough people doing these reports, certain people start to stand out in your mind. Jim is one of them. The fervor and dedication he has to the process of creating his flys comes out as you speak to him.

He has been asked to participate at juried shows, where a select few artisans are picked to show their products to the public.

He went into detail, with pride, about how he uses engineered epoxy as part of the finishing process, and how he is particular about how they dry, so his flys will withstand fish after fish hitting them.

He explained to me his customers fish in exotic locations, Belize, Argentina, Andros, as well as every day streams, lakes, and salt water. So he feels he doesn't get a second chance to make a good impression, and he is obsessive about getting it right the first time.

Nice meetin ya, Jim and Sue! I learned a lot in the short time I was talking to you.

Some pics:

Attachment 5823

Attachment 5824

Attachment 5825
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3-15-09 024.jpg   3-15-09 025.jpg  

3-15-09 026.jpg  

Default Jim Baumbach pics

some more, his work is priced from $1.25 - $4

Attachment 5826

Beautiful herring flies in the middle
    Attachment 5827

Attachment 5828

Attachment 5829
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3-15-09 028.jpg   3-15-09 029.jpg  

3-15-09 030.jpg   3-15-09 031.jpg  

Default Interview with Steve from AOK tackle

Many of you guys out there know him on the internet as "Sudsratt".

Well, he's also Steve from Bristol, Pa. Been doing the AOK tackle thing for a few years now, and he has some very good brand recognition in the NJ and NY areas.

I thought you guys and girls might like to hear a little more about him:

Disclaimer...these are all raw videos I'm shooting here. You get to see these guys warts and all. I may never have time to edit or polish them up like you might see elsewhere. Realize that Steve was tired here, he had a long day, there may be some mistakes, such is life.

I thought he did a great, and candid, interview. That's what I look for when I interview someone. Thanks for the few minutes sharing your thoughts, Steve. Best of luck with AOK in the northern part of the Stripercoast.

Default Connie from Tri-plex tackle

I met Connie at the Point Pleasant Fire co fishing flea market. Her Dad runs a small PA company called Tri-plex tackle making bucktails and hand tied bottom fishing rigs.

She helps with not only the rigs, but is also starting to tie the bucktails. It was nice to meet a family where 2 generations are working together to build a good business. Best of luck to you both!

Attachment 10095

Attachment 10096
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP6937.JPG   IMGP6938.JPG  

Default Tom Scibek the teaser man

Tom is from Chester county, PA.

I first met him at a flea market in MD. Tom travels all over the region to sell his professional hand-made teasers, and flys.

The guy is amazingly talented. I remember a demonstration of his skill and ability in MD, he had quite a crowd around his table.

I seem to remember Tom is an avid motocross or BMX rider too. This is amazing because Tom is not a young kid, but he stays in great shape, and enjoys life to the fullest with his lovely wife Mary Ann.

Nice meeting you folks again!

Tom will be at the Berkeley show tomorrow and the Asbury show next week.

Jeff from Striper Bites teasers Bensalem, PA
    Friend of Steve from AOK Tackle

Big Bites Tackle...Ben from Philly

Default Pennsylvania Pride......Pa Modern Fishing tackle and gear Manufacturers

We have a thread here called:

PA Plug and Tackle Manufacturers - Back in Time...
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...s-Back-in-Time

which chronicles PA's Fishing Tackle manufacturing history...
    Throughout the years here I have run into some of the folks who are still doing it in PA......

If you are aware of any that aren't up here, please feel free to post.......