Thread: Pennsylvania Pride......Pa Modern Fishing tackle and gear Manufacturers

Threaded View

Default Jim Baumbach Master Fly maker

Met Jim and his wife Sue out of Steelton Pa., near Harrisburg. Jim has been tying salt and freshwater flies for 30 years.

He has also been a fly fishing instructor or consultant at Lehigh, Bucknell, and Allentown Universities. After talking to him for a few minutes, I could see why.

Every now and then, you run into someone who is truly passionate about what he does. Sure we all love fishing, and are passionate about it, but that's not what I'm talking about. After you meet enough people doing these reports, certain people start to stand out in your mind. Jim is one of them. The fervor and dedication he has to the process of creating his flys comes out as you speak to him.

He has been asked to participate at juried shows, where a select few artisans are picked to show their products to the public.

He went into detail, with pride, about how he uses engineered epoxy as part of the finishing process, and how he is particular about how they dry, so his flys will withstand fish after fish hitting them.

He explained to me his customers fish in exotic locations, Belize, Argentina, Andros, as well as every day streams, lakes, and salt water. So he feels he doesn't get a second chance to make a good impression, and he is obsessive about getting it right the first time.

Nice meetin ya, Jim and Sue! I learned a lot in the short time I was talking to you.

Some pics:

Attachment 5823

Attachment 5824

Attachment 5825
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3-15-09 024.jpg   3-15-09 025.jpg  

3-15-09 026.jpg