Thread: RI Plug and Tackle Manufacturers - Back in Time

Default RI Plug and Tackle Manufacturers - Back in Time

We have a thread here for old-time NJ fishermen and stories, people.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=5236

From conversations with them I realize there were a lot of innovative lure and tackle makers that grew up and prospered in Rhose Island.

They brought us things like different types of tins, tackle, some lures, and many others.

The most important issue?
    How did it swim in the water?
    Did it catch?

Early in the history of Rhode Island fishing, when fishermen made the transition from bait to jigs, bucktails, and other new inventions of the 1900s, some NJ fishing tackle innovators were at the top of their game.

However, RI fishermen are a tough breed. If your new fishing idea or presentation you wanted to sell didn't work, fishermen would ignore you. You failed miserably.

Let's hear about any old-time Rhode island Commercial fishing tackle manufacturers, from the large companies to the garage operations.

The ones that succeeded, and why you liked them growing up. The ones that failed, and the ones in between.

Let's hear about some local pride. Someone in your family or a relative make or sell tackle for awhile? Even if they didn't succeed, they are a part of RI fishing history. If you cite sources that are copyrighted, please remember to put up the link. I reserve the right to edit links I feel aren't appropriate.

I think this is gonna be a good thread for the winter.

If someone wants to talk about Point Jude Tackle here that would be great. Met a guy yesterday in Rhody who has had some success with the Point Jude Pogee. There is a lot of white bait and sandeels starting to show in the surf line there. and the fish have just started to feed on a regular basis.