Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kayak Trips and Fishing Reports 2013

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for April 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Great pics J Barbosa, congrats on the catching.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I fished the bay last night 10-12 midnight incoming tide. 2 short bass on clams.
    Wow John looks like you guys had an awesome time. Great job! About how far off the beach would you say you were?

Jbarbosa crushing the bass nice work.
    Hit the ocean in moco from 5-7 this morning. Last of the outgoing tide. Managed one 27 1/2" bass, clams, released.

Outstanding report John Nice to see brothers fishing together. Last time you mentioned you beat him trout fishing. this time looks like you won too. If he is your little brother maybe you want to let him win once in a while too, or give him some pointers to equalize things. I always enjoy your reports and see that you both have a great time out there. Lots of enthusiasm. Thanks for sharing.

Great job on the bass John thanks for posting. Well done.

Nice job jb getting it done!

Default Re: Kayak Trips and Fishing Reports 2013

iplayfair and the guys getting it done in jbay!

7deadlyplugs, glad to see you are a fan of Mark and Eli.....
    Mark is one of the most approachable fisherman out there...no pretenses or holier than thou attitude as he both surf and kayak fishes....he's a composite of every guy you ever met on the street, with an enthusiasm that shines through on every video....

Eli, is a friend as well.....IMO one of the top 10 kayak fishermen on the East Coast.
    One of the first I know of to successfully kayak the VZ, which has some of the most dangerous current in the area, and successfully catch bass and other species.......a true maniac who will fish in all kinds of weather and doesn't follow the herd....

I remember one early fall morning Eli and I we got caught in 3-4' swells in the front of JBay/NY Habor as the weather system came up on us in minutes, another reason to have a good idea of the extended hourly forecast and always be prepared with Plan B and C.....

Glad you guys like their videos......
    No secret code needed to understand the language these guys use, and they love to fish the night tides,,,,,

Getting behind in my trip logs so here goes....

2nd kayak trip 2nd week of April -
    Night trip - the bay had a harsh E wind, 20 mph+
    Wasn't comfortable so I decided to stay in a protected cove.
    3 hours of trolling, not a touch.
    Water temp was around 46 at that time.

3rd kayak trip a few days later -
    Got out there to calm conditions, pre-dawn.
    As I was 1/2 mile out in the bay, the shear pin for my rudder busted, still hanging partway in the water.
    Had to make it back to shore pedaliing without a rudder, using the paddle to compensate.
    Trolled as I came back, not a touch.
    Additionally, the winds went from 0mph to 25mph SE with the tide change. I barely made it back in time before conditions became dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    7deadlyplugs, glad to see you are a fan of Mark and Eli.....
    Eli, is a friend as well.....IMO one of the top 10 kayak fishermen on the East Coast.
    One of the first I know of to successfully kayak the VZ, which has some of the most dangerous current in the area, and successfully catch bass and other species.......a true maniac who will fish in all kinds of weather and doesn't follow the herd....

Glad you guys like their videos......

Eli got out again yesterday in JBay....video and report courtesy of Elias.....

"Good fishing the last two days. All fish around 12-15 pounds with a few shorts around. No bigger fish yet, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Took a cool video hope you enjoy it ; ) "

The guy is pretty knowledgable as you said, and intense. thanks for sharing.

he was fishing last night, nice job IPF.

Eli got out again this morning....He mentions it being a bit slow...I noticed that as well last night, feel that the S/SE pattern has curtailed the artificial bite for a bit. IMO guys fishing bait should have more consistent results for the next day or so. The fish that I managed seemed very reluctant to hit artificials and barely nudged the plug....another indicator of cold water fish behavior.....a few degree rise in water temps can change all that like a light switch.......

report and pic courtesy of Elias...

"Snuck out quick this morning. Slack tide totally dead, but on the incoming I had one fish, dropped two others in the same size range. Great conditions but the fish weren't too hungry it seemed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eli yak bass 4-29-13.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	16916

Kept my first fish of the season, swallowed that leadhead deep!"

Very cool have been following elias reports regularly. He is fearless!

That dude is a fishing machine! Here is a video he posted on bridge jigging.

^ Rockhopper, IMO Eli is one of the best yak fishermen in this area when it comes to jigging and fishing structure and current. Now he has an Outback, You should see when he used to fish the bridges for tog with a Cobra Fish and Dive paddle yak and catch fish with his feet braced against the bridge to hold in current. His skills are outstanding.

MSG Danny was out yesterday, hit it hard, 5 hours for a few bass. Here's the report courtesy of DannyV.

It looks like the fishing in RB may be winding down a bit, with the fish heading out front and north. This morning was a bit snotty with only a handfull of fish caught between a small group. The fish that are caught are still a nice size, when you can find them. Almost 5 hours on the water and the only action was in a 90 minute window.

Here is my friend Bob with his first kayak striper ever on his first trip in the salt water with the kayak.

Name:	msg dan n bob 5-6-13.jpg 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	16940

Here is one of mine from this morning

Name:	msg dan 5-6-13.jpg 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	16939

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for July 2013.....wwwStripersAndAnglers.com

On Saturday my brother and I took a buddy out for his first kayak voyage ever. We headed into the bay to look for all the big bluefish that have been around and sure enough since I invited a friend along not even one bluefish showed up for our party. A lot of happy bunker around thanks to those prominent winds we have been having. We also tried for fluke but came up empty handed.

On Sunday the three of us headed to a different location where we picked at short fluke until a school of nice sized weakfish decided to show up and save our day. Most were cookie cuter fish in the 16-18" range with one bigger fish in the mix.

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for July 2013.....wwwStripersAndAnglers.com

On Saturday my brother and I took a buddy out for his first kayak voyage ever. We headed into the bay to look for all the big bluefish that have been around and sure enough since I invited a friend along not even one bluefish showed up for our party. A lot of happy bunker around thanks to those prominent winds we have been having. We also tried for fluke but came up empty handed.

On Sunday the three of us headed to a different location where we picked at short fluke until a school of nice sized weakfish decided to show up and save our day. Most were cookie cuter fish in the 16-18" range with one bigger fish in the mix.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast