Thread: 70 lb cow bass in Alabama river!

Default 70 lb cow bass in Alabama river!

This thing is a freak of nature! Awesome catch.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...rd_stripe.html

Dora man catches record striped bass on the Black Warrior River (Joe's Outdoor Office photos and video)

View the Slideshow >>

(Gallery by Joe Songer | jsonger@al.com)

By Joe Songer | jsonger@al.com al.com
    on March 01, 2013 at 6:35 PM, updated March 01, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    View/Post Comments

DORA, Alabama- James R. Bramlett, 65, landed a 70 pound striped bass from the Black Warrior River near the Gorgas Steam Plant Thursday February 28, 2013.
    The fish was weighed on certified scales and officials and a fisheries biologist with the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Natural Resources were at Bramlett's home today to make it official. The fish is 45.5 inches long and has a 37.75 inch girth.

Record Striped Bass caught by Dora man on the Black Warrior River DORA, Alabama- James R. Bramlett, 65, landed a 70 pound striped bass from the Black Warrior River near the Gorgas Steam Plant Thursday February 28, 2013. The fish was weighed on certified scales and officials and a fisheries biologist with the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Natural Resources were at Bramlett's home today to make it official. The fish is 45.5 inches long and has a 37.75 inch girth. It tops the previous state record by 15 pounds that has stood since 1959. That fish was caught on the Tallapoosa River. The catch may become the new IGFA world record for a landlocked stripe bass. That record currently stands at 67pounds, 8 ounces.

(Joe Songer/jsonger@al.com)
    Watch video

It tops the previous state record by 15 pounds that has stood since 1959. That fish was caught on the Tallapoosa River.

The catch may become the new IGFA world record for a landlocked striped bass. That record currently stands at 67 pounds, 8 ounces. That record has stood since May, 1992.Bramlett's wife Janice urged him to go fishing Thursday. She will be in the hospital next Tuesday for a procedure and will need him to take care of her when she gets home.

He went to one of his favorite spots on the Black Warrior River near the Gorgas Steam Plant. He said the fish rolled on top of the water so he threw his bait in that direction. After a battle that lasted more than 20 minutes, he landed the record striped bass and immediately called his wife.
    Bramlett used a Mustad 6.0 hook, Ambassador 7000 reel, a catfish Ugly Stik rod with Berkley Big Game 30 pound test line to catch the fish of a lifetime.

Default Re: 70 lb cow bass in Alabama river!

I don't know how to post these videos. Dark please fix if you can. This is on the front page of that article

DORA, Alabama- James R. Bramlett, 65, landed a 70 pound striped bass from the Black Warrior River near the Gorgas Steam Plant Thursday February 28, 2013.
    The fish was weighed on certified scales and officials and a fisheries biologist with the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Natural Resources were at Bramlett's home today to make it official. The fish is 45.5 inches long and has a 37.75 inch girth.

Record Striped Bass caught by Dora man on the Black Warrior River DORA, Alabama- James R. Bramlett, 65, landed a 70 pound striped bass from the Black Warrior River near the Gorgas Steam Plant Thursday February 28, 2013. The fish was weighed on certified scales and officials and a fisheries biologist with the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Natural Resources were at Bramlett's home today to make it official. The fish is 45.5 inches long and has a 37.75 inch girth. It tops the previous state record by 15 pounds that has stood since 1959. That fish was caught on the Tallapoosa River. The catch may become the new IGFA world record for a landlocked stripe bass. That record currently stands at 67pounds, 8 ounces. (Joe Songer/jsonger@al.com)

Watch video

Oh my God what a fish. Looks like is has a basketball inside her stomach.

awesome fish. great catch.

too bad she won't be breeding any more, however.

just imagine back in the day when there were loads of those around.

I liked where they put his wife on video. "I was home sick and James was taking care of me. I told him: James you just have to go fishing soon!" Priceless, what a woman thinking of her husband despite her own health troubles. Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    awesome fish. great catch.

too bad she won't be breeding any more, however.

just imagine back in the day when there were loads of those around.
    I agree, jonthepain. it would have been nice to put her back, but kind of hard to know what any of us would do when faced with a fish of a lifetime. I think I would release it if I got one but I can't be sure. I don't blame him. Good for him. At his age he may never see another one even close to that size.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    I liked where they put his wife on video. "I was home sick and James was taking care of me. I told him: James you just have to go fishing soon!" Priceless, what a woman thinking of her husband despite her own health troubles. Thanks for posting
    Yes that was beautiful. Where do you find a woman like that? Congrats to the angler on trophy.

I liked his wife too. Very nice lady. And very big gut on that fish. Great catch.

Great fish. I would have that mounted for sure.

WOW!