Thread: 2013 Fluke Regulations Set

Default 2013 Fluke Regulations Set

The NJMFC votedunanimously in favor of a recreational fluke season that will begin on May 18thand end on September 16th, with a 17 1/2" size limit and a five fish baglimit. The groups I represented at the meeting supported a longer season or atleast one that extended the season further into the fall. However, the vastmajority of those who spoke favored the option that was chosen. However, thereis still a little ray of hope that the season might be extended further. Afterall states have set their regulations, the ASMFC will review them. If theydetermine that the regulations are likely to result in a coastwide underage ofthe quota they may allow New Jerseyand New York to liberalize theirregulations somewhat. New Jerseyand New York were the only twostates who were forced to take a reduction due to overfishing their quotas lastyear. If the ASMFC does allow us to liberalize somewhat the NJMFC may do so byadding a few days to the end of our season. However, there was some concern bycouncil members that doing so could cause us to exceed our quota. I pointed outthat we are more likely to underfish our quota this year because there will befar less participation. This is due to all the marinas, boats and coastal homesthat were damaged or lost due to Hurricane Sandy. If we are given the option toliberalize further, the NJMFC will consider doing so at their next meeting onMay 2nd.
    The NJBMF isstill working on the sea bass options for this year. They are expected to beready sometime in the near future. Theregulations will then be set at the NJMFC meeting on May 2nd.

Paul Haertel

Default Re: 2013 Fluke Regulations Set

Quote Originally Posted by Angler Paul View Post
    I pointed outthat we are more likely to underfish our quota this year because there will befar less participation. This is due to all the marinas, boats and coastal homesthat were damaged or lost due to Hurricane Sandy. If we are given the option toliberalize further, the NJMFC will consider doing so at their next meeting onMay 2nd.
    The NJBMF isstill working on the sea bass options for this year. They are expected to beready sometime in the near future. Theregulations will then be set at the NJMFC meeting on May 2nd.

Paul Haertel

Fin and I were supposed to go with some others but he got sick. Sorry I wasn't able to make it.
    Paul, thanks for for the comprehensive report. I think it's a good thing anglers were able to get up and voice their opinions. I read some comments from some who have been to past meetings, and the feedback they gave was they didn't feel they made a difference. They felt the anglers at the meetings were superfluous as the decisions had already been made.

I disagree....every single person makes a difference...if you love to fish for fluke... it's a good mindset to show that and fight for them. As you have pointed out, things aren't a given anymore. Seasons are modified or abbreviated with short notice. Fluke are a staple of the recreational fishing economy for our area, and folks should be mad enough to fight for quota and voice their opinions.

As always, thanks for the extra effort you make, and keeping us informed Paul.

Default Re: 2013 Fluke Regulations Set

Thank you angler paul! I hope we don't go over and get a little more from the season. I would also like to say it is very hard to catch a keeper from then surf. Many throwbacks for me. I do a lot better in the channels in the bay.