Thread: Transporting a yak, best options?

Default Transporting a yak, best options?

Went to the paddlesport show yesterday. The different things I saw yesterday were eye opening. So many ways to rig, tons of safety features. On a side note, never saw so many jeeps, scions, subarus, and honda crvs and pilots in one place. Is that the preferred choice for transporting a yak?

not my preferred.... actually I would like to trailer just for the ease of it, but I still use a bed extender on my pick up. This method actually works quite well since I have a tonno cover I can put everything in my yak and use one strap and nothing comes out.

Question if you use a bed extender is there any special maintenance or tips you do with it? Do you scrub in between every trip to keep the salt water that drips from the kayak to stop corrosion? thanks

I have 72" Yakama crossbars on my roof. Fits two hobie kayaks stored upside down securely while doing 80mph down the highway.

I would prefer a trailer as well but that really limits where you can park and in addition the added tolls can add up for the extra axel.