Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing with Teasers

Default Teasers 2011

This year so far the feathered teasers I have been using (Deceivers 4/0) that have caught fish are white or white with a little chartreuse. Any other color has not produced. Ocean side I was throwing a Pencil and getting Blues on the Teaser in front of it. So for me this year the white teaser has been needed for for Bass, Blues and Fluke. I have also started to use the Tsunami Holographic Shrimp as a teaser and have caught Bass, Blues and Fluke with it. The rubber teaser I'll start using more when the Sand Eels are around.
    Anyone else doing anything with Teasers this year?

Deceiver

Shrimp

Rubber Teaser

Rig
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

THANKS FOR SHARING MONTY

I have so many teasers, and lately have been lazy, Monty.

A lot of us have the mindset that teasers are good only in the fall. As your recent trips have shown, that just ain't true as you continue to nail double digits or will sometimes attract that fish on a teaser that might not have hit your presentation otherwise.

My excuse is that I like to fish jetties, and they will sometimes hang you up if you fish the sides and aren't careful. That's really not a problem if you pay attention, and if there is any bait around those jetties at this time, it's likely to be small.

I often carry them with me, will have to start adding the dropper loop. I like to add a bit of stiff mono to keep the teaser about 3" away from the main line. Will report back when I have some results. Good thread, Monty.

Thanks for sharing that info guys. I like gulp for teasers, but I mostly use them for fluking, about 18" up from the bucktail or the killie and squid. I am now going to try those other ways. I like those shrimp ones, tsunami you said Monty? Are they available in most tackle shops?

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    I like those shrimp ones, tsunami you said Monty? Are they available in most tackle shops?
    The ones I bought were Tsunami Holographic Shrimp, pack of 3, 3 inch, clear gold glitter.
    Some tackle places have them, some don't. These I ordered from Angler Systems.
    I think they come in 4" too, but I am trying to keep the rig as light as possible and the shrimp around where I fish are very small.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    A lot of us have the mindset that teasers are good only in the fall. As your recent trips have shown, that just ain't true as you continue to nail double digits or will sometimes attract that fish on a teaser that might not have hit your presentation otherwise.:
    That's the way I was thinking too. We have a lot of spearing and rainbait here now, so maybe I will start using them. Thanks guys.

I like redgills, but have been buying imitation ones, work just as good.

Default Fishing with Teasers

I think I post a thread about teasers each year....

How about posting thoughts and experiences on fishing teasers? Like them, hate them, why? Don?€™t need them? Biggest fish on a teaser, like doubles, don?€™t like doubles? Favorite teasers, favorite teaser rigs.

The past year I tried to cut down on the amount of time I fished with teasers, to see if I noticed any difference in fish caught. So I think I fished 50% with them compared with the past few years at least 75% of the time. Looking back at the year fishing with teasers increased the Stripers caught.
    One night I met up with Dark and Mike O this past year, we caught a few Bass, they seemed to only want black teasers a certain size.
    For teasers I use Deceivers and the small rubber tails for Avas.
    If there are blues around I take the teaser off, but I have had times when it seems the teaser is all a blue would want. Here is an Island Beach Blue that hit a green/white teaser late May this past year. It was the biggest of the morning.

Default Re: Fishing with Teasers

Some teasers for 2013
    Going to fish some of Surfstix teasers this year. He is an incredible tyer (quality and creativity).

Some teasers for 2013
    Going to fish some of Surfstix teasers this year. He is an incredible tyer (quality and creativity).

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    One night I met up with Dark and Mike O this past year, we caught a few Bass, they seemed to only want black teasers a certain size.
    For teasers I use Deceivers and the small rubber tails for Avas.
    If there are blues around I take the teaser off, but I have had times when it seems the teaser is all a blue would want.
    Some good observations there Monty. A lot of the fishing world focuses on the "bigger is better" theory.
    If that were consistently true, you would never see fly fishermen catching fish.

There are times in our area, when small forage is dominant. I probably want to say more about this, will try to compose some thoughts in Roddy's thread.....For this thread, I'll just add my observations, that for NJ, with the exception of the bunker and herring, small forage dominates over half the months of our fishing season.

There are plenty of times when the forage (mostly) consists of spearing, rainfish, grass shrimp, or a combo of these.
    I think that night we all fished together was a great example of that. I'm still not sure what they were feeding on that night but it was very specific, so specific that they wouldn't touch a 4" teaser. Only the smallest ones got any action.

These situations are some of the most exciting for me when it comes to fishing.....
    because if you don't figure it out just the right way, you go home without ever knowing the fish were there....

That night it was all about the small teasers...without downsizing we never would have caught a fish...as hard as we were trying....
    Funny thing about bluefish too....many guys will talk about how easy they are to catch...will hit anything.....

Not when they are feeding on small forage at night....I've found them to be extremely picky....will not hit anything artificial outside the range of the size they are feeding on....have even had to downsize plugs from 6" to 4", just to get them to hit....

Surfstix does make some beautiful teasers....not only that, they hold up to assault after assault by predators....

Only if i have to and then it's an olive over white clouser. I like the clouser as they never foul the leader. Even though I don't fish them allot I still made over 100of them Also never ever in an inlet or canal where there is swift current, double headers cured me of that real quick.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I would add to this, that I won't fish them near structure....not just rocks, but any hard structure, inlets, bridges....etc......
    You probably could.....just not my preference as I don't want the teaser to be the weak link that snags on something and causes me to lose a big fish.....

I know there are folks here who do it differently, that's what makes fishing so great...
    so feel free to chime in, if you use teasers for situations that others may not normally use them for.

Teasers are great for whitebait. Match the hatch perfectly. In the day I tend to use ones with flash. Night fishing I lean on darker and black ones more heavily. Did surfstix tie all those teasers? Nice work.

What charlietuna said. I find them to be great when the whitebait is around. I do not like using them near rocks as dark said. At montauk they are ok for the town beaches and the sand beaches south to shinnecock. Near the lighthouse or the north shore, no.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieTuna View Post
    Night fishing I lean on darker and black ones more heavily. Did surfstix tie all those teasers? Nice work.
    I plan on fishing the black deceivers more often this year in the dark.
    Yes, Surfstix did tie them all. He really ties some awesome flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I plan on fishing the black deceivers more often this year in the dark.
    Yes, Surfstix did tie them all. He really ties some awesome flies.
    2x that ^^^^^^^^^ the best i have seen yet!!!!!!!

when i first moved down here, nobody seemed to know what a teaser was

they are catching on, but still underutilized imo

and i ain't cluing them in anymore, either

Headed east and started fishing 2:30 this morning. Normal start for me. New area for me and a few casts and missed a hit on a redfin/teaser. Decided to head a few miles west after an hour and half and try another new spot and around 4:30 had a Hogy bit in half. Sun came up and found blues rolling and cutting through bait about 150 yards out.
    Finally a bit of luck....good luck.
    They would move up and down the beach and between 40 an 200 yards the next 2 hours.
    Ended up landing 7 and loosing 5 (was 4 for 4 at one point ).
    Loooongs casts and they liked the Green Ava 17, until tube was ripped off. They would not hit a red Ava. Got 6 on the green Ava and 1 on an Epoxy jig, which I lost when a blue cut through the 80 lb leader. Could not get them to hit a popper until 8:30 when I was into the biggest one, which I lost when it straightened the tail hook (typical) .
    Had a great time, only one other guy came by and fished near me for about 20 minutes and left when he could not hook up.
    I really enjoy hooking up with blues this size and its always a bonus if its ocean side. Was crazy lucky running into them, great fun with a nice bend in the rod.

Attachment 18722
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014_8_10_BL_2.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast