Thread: Novice Saltwater Fisherman....Oscar22

Default Novice Saltwater Fisherman....Oscar22

Hey
    I'm very new to this site and from what I see there is allot of info on here to while my working day away with!
    But I do have a question...I was at the Seargentsville Fishing Flea market...and bought some striper rigs, there were no instructions
    and I thought I would remember how to rig them...well I don't...anybody have any easy instructions or remember the name of the vendor who was selling them?
    They were the rigs with a paper clip looking piece with a small plastic clip attached...I'll attach a pic when I can...but glad to be a part of this site!
    Oscar22

Default Re: Novice Saltwater Fisherman....Oscar22

hey oscar I'm new to the site too but not to fishing. Referred by my buddy dogfish. Those small clips might be a fishfinder. You put the sinker on there and that way when the striper takes the bait he doesn't feel it. He runs only with the bait and you can set the hook better after he has it in his mouth. If thats not it maybe someone else can answer.

Quote Originally Posted by fishgutz View Post
    hey oscar I'm new to the site too but not to fishing. Referred by my buddy dogfish. Those small clips might be a fishfinder. You put the sinker on there and that way when the striper takes the bait he doesn't feel it. He runs only with the bait and you can set the hook better after he has it in his mouth. If thats not it maybe someone else can answer.
    Hey Gutz...Thx for the reply...I've used what your talking about before...This "seems" like there should be something else to it...I'll post a pic, hope that will solve my issue.

Welcome aboard oscar. Sounds like a ff rig to me too. Where do you fish out of?

If it is a fishfinder rig it will be a snap for your sinker with a nylon sleeve this just slides up and down the main line for the reason mentioned above, your leader will have a barrel swivel on it to tie to your main line via the swivel.If you use braid for bait which I suggest you don't the sleeve should be a teal color blue not black braid will cut through it.Your actually better off to use a coastlock snap for a FF the drawback is keep an eye on your main line for fraying.I generally don't do bait but when I do I check my line and leader after every fish any fraying I cut back and retie a new rig.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fishfinder01.jpg  
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

^ thanks for the helpful answer, Surfstix.

You will find a lot of old salts here, and some not-so-old salts.
    Some will be grouchy at times, like the OGB Finchaser.
    Some will be crabby at times, like the COB Surfstix.
    Some will be spectacular but entertaining googans, like Monty....but also helpful and hardcore in their dedication to find fish....
    Some will be vexing but funny pranksters, like Bababooey and Storminsteve.
    Some, like me, will sleep in their car for 3 nights and smell real bad, just to catch a few fish.
    Some will actually turn out to be normal folks, with no crabby or grouchy, googan, or compulsive issues at all.

Most, will fall in the middle of the extremes I just described. We're united by our common love of fishing.

But most of them are helpful and willing to lend a hand,,,,the motley group that we are.....Glad ya could stop by for a while....hope you can learn some things, and look forward to your contributions......

Welcome aboard, Oscar.

oscar22 hello and welcome!

Hey welcome oscar

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    If it is a fishfinder rig it will be a snap for your sinker with a nylon sleeve this just slides up and down the main line for the reason mentioned above, your leader will have a barrel swivel on it to tie to your main line via the swivel.If you use braid for bait which I suggest you don't the sleeve should be a teal color blue not black braid will cut through it.Your actually better off to use a coastlock snap for a FF the drawback is keep an eye on your main line for fraying.I generally don't do bait but when I do I check my line and leader after every fish any fraying I cut back and retie a new rig.
    Here is a pic (hopefully) this is what I have...Thanks for the info and the well wishes!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo-55.jpg   photo-55b.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar22 View Post
    Here is a pic (hopefully) this is what I have...Thanks for the info and the well wishes!
    hi bro and welcome ....that looks like a weight snap to get ur rig out there and when u set the hook the weight snaps off
    i could be wrong thats what it looks like to me or a line holder like a casting egg has so ur line does not get twisted when u cast imo.......

used to cast bait out so leader to the hook does not shorten cast

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Thanks Guys!!