Thread: Costa Rica FYI

Default Costa Rica FYI

FYI Just back from trip to Costa Rica. Great place but a word for traveling fishermen. Security made me strip all the line off my reels when I was leaving the country. I don't think the guard was just being an arse,he was very apolegetic,just doing his job he said. Same might happen to other anglers who go there,so just a heads up to stow your reels in checked bag instead of carry on.

Default Re: Costa Rica FYI

Quote Originally Posted by toadfish View Post
    FYI Just back from trip to Costa Rica. Great place but a word for traveling fishermen. Security made me strip all the line off my reels when I was leaving the country. I don't think the guard was just being an arse,he was very apolegetic,just doing his job he said. Same might happen to other anglers who go there,so just a heads up to stow your reels in checked bag instead of carry on.
    How did you do? I have a friend that visits Mexico pacific side for Rosters every year, and have some really cools stories. Maybe one day?

Just had very limited chances to fish,was on a tour with the spouse. Caught hell for showing up late/wet for dinner on the 1st night but was catching 2' ladyfish and 1 other tarpon like fish 3' but don't know what it was. Later in tour fished a rain forest river and got a snook ...100+ miles from the ocean. If I ever get back there It will be for fishing only.

Just had very limited chances to fish,was on a tour with the spouse. Caught hell for showing up late/wet for dinner on the 1st night but was catching 2' ladyfish and 1 other tarpon like fish 3' but don't know what it was. Later in tour fished a rain forest river and got a snook ...100+ miles from the ocean. If I ever get back there It will be for fishing only.
    How could you help yourself, I know i would be in the doghouse.

Just had very limited chances to fish,was on a tour with the spouse. Caught hell for showing up late/wet for dinner on the 1st night but was catching 2' ladyfish and 1 other tarpon like fish 3' but don't know what it was..
    Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    How could you help yourself, I know i would be in the doghouse.

Me too.
    A lot of us say we're out there for the fishing, solitude, etc, not necessarily the catching....
    But when the fishing turns into catching, and it's a good bite, it's almost impossible for me to walk away from it.....
    I've run out of excuses to use. when I'm out there in a good bite, and have been late for something........
    That's one of the reasons my trips have expanded into the night....when there is more time to devote to that bite when you're lucky enough to run into a solid one.....

Thanks for sharing that toadfish...I was living vicariously through your trip as you were texting me....glad ya had a good time.....

sounds like you had a fantastic trip, thanks for sharing. Did you take any pics?

I would be glad to post some of the pics I took but I am a total idiot when it comes to computers. No young folks around to help me till May.

Toadfish sent me the pics, posted courtesy of Toadfish....

In this first pic this a big tree that fell down. The croc is about 3/4 of the way down and on the banks of the river. You can see it right where there is a curve in the branch halfway across and about 3/4 down.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crocodile behind downed tree.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	16824

Guy fishing for barracuda with handline.

Name:	piranha fishing no rod or reel.JPG 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	16825

Name:	rainforest river.JPG 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	16826

River snook