Thread: Clouser

Default Clouser

This is like my fifth tie so I am getting a little better. I trimmed the peacock hurl a little after I took the picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130320_083610.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	16770

Default Re: Clouser

That looks great! I love the colors.

Agree, looks great, I like the color selection
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

simple is best, nice work.

Nice work.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Thanks everyone, I just realized how dark that picture came out.

You can also thin out the top wing for a slimmer profile those work well also.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Nice work there J. That fly looks deadly. Good luck with it.

Name:	IMGP3628.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	17057

That is some talent you have there jb. I don't know a lot about it but would like to ask when you are bringing it in (stripping?) do you do a slow or fast retrieve and does it depend on the water temperatures or the fish? for example is it like with plugging do where the blues sometimes like a faster retrieve and the bass a slower one or is it totally different. I really know very little about fly fishing so apologize if this is stupid question.

Views:	2 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	17061

nice work ......tried to clean up the pic

Quote Originally Posted by madcaster View Post

Views:	2 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	17061

nice work ......tried to clean up the pic
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    That is some talent you have there jb. I don't know a lot about it but would like to ask when you are bringing it in (stripping?) do you do a slow or fast retrieve and does it depend on the water temperatures or the fish? for example is it like with plugging do where the blues sometimes like a faster retrieve and the bass a slower one or is it totally different. I really know very little about fly fishing so apologize if this is stupid question.
    Your asking the wrong guy! I have only caught a sea robin on the 8wt and a carp on the 5wt. LOL

This is a thread I started that Vpass made some great suggestions in:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...8965#post68965

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    I have only caught a carp on the 5wt. LOL
    I have yet to catch a carp.....what fly did you catch it on?

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    I have yet to catch a carp.....what fly did you catch it on?
    I am not 100% sure to be honest. Some "nymph" style fly that I bought with the intention of using for trout fishing.

Where I am fishing it is very shallow, like 2 feet deep at the max. The water is very clear and the bottom is sandy. There is usually 5-10 carp in the area and its sight fishing for carp at its best.

The carp are constantly sucking stuff off the bottom and spiting it back out. If you put something in front of them thats light enough they will **** it in and all you have to do is set the hook. I call it the vacuum effect!

The hardest part is trying not spooking them. If one carp darts away quickly so will all the other carp in the area.

Makes me want to go carp fishing

thanks! Yeah I have heard of guys using green yarn just tied onto a hook for carp (we are going back about 20 years) to replicate algae or something like that. I thought you were using something like that. So, hmm, an insect type fly....Well since I am using a spinning rod rigged to cast flies (via small weights and or floats) I am probably not going to be real quiet. If I did not have a bad rotator cuff I would get another fly rod but that isn't possible with my old age LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    thanks! Yeah I have heard of guys using green yarn just tied onto a hook for carp (we are going back about 20 years) to replicate algae or something like that. I thought you were using something like that. So, hmm, an insect type fly....Well since I am using a spinning rod rigged to cast flies (via small weights and or floats) I am probably not going to be real quiet. If I did not have a bad rotator cuff I would get another fly rod but that isn't possible with my old age LOL!
    My brother and I use to toss them 1/16th jig heads in front of their path and wait for them to **** them up. Easy enough to do when your sight fishing.

The easiest way to catch carp is the bread ball and chum method.

Roll tiny bread balls and chum heavily and then cast two rods out with bigger bread balls and light hook but no sinker (important).

I did this all the time as a kid on cheap $10-20 4-6lb trout combos with 6lb mono. I must have caught hundreds of carp before I got my drivers license.

Carp will feed in stained water but higher water levels will make it harder to find and catch them. I am going to give it a try after work...hopefully the water isn't too stained from all this rain.

I bought some koolaid to make the dougballs. Hmmm, maybe I should make a batch and head to the lake down the street. The water looks like coffee but there are a ton of carp in there.

I never found the need to add coloring to my baits.

I have always used bread or bagels as my dad is a baker and we got plenty of free bread or dough.

NY water bagels or Kaiser rolls are my choice. Remove the outer shells and pack them tightly into small balls so they sink (use this as chum).

Take the inner white fluffy stuff and roll a bunch into dime sized balls (use these to chum the area heavily).

Roll yourself a bigger bait the size of a quarter and put a hook in it. In clear water the bait will stand out from a few feet away and the carp will come running for the bigger ball.

We usually always outfished anyone around us that was carp fishing as kids.

Hit up some carp after work yesterday. Got two nice ones and two small ones in about two hours. Only spooked about two dozen or so

Nice carp! You son of a gun! I am so jealous!!! The kool aid is actually for flavor not so much color. I think I will take with me on vacation- we rented a house on a lake so that would be fun if I can catch em.