Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear mods

Default Gear mods

Met a dude on the rocks the other week who rigged up his korkers to withstand some abuse. He used some automotive hose for the "bumpers", and some HD parachute cord from EMS for the laces. Thought that was pretty cool, my korkers are on their last legs. Thought I would try some of his mods before buying new ones.

He gave me permission to take the pics, but I forgot his name. Thanks, dude, for the cool idea! Anyone else who is modifying your gear, let's see the pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p 6-14-08 NJ Misc 018.jpg   p 6-14-08 NJ Misc 020.jpg  

p 6-14-08 NJ Misc 019.jpg  

Default Korker Refurbish

My Korkers were shot, way too much use, no spare pairs. I should have checked them sooner.

I took out all the old worn cleats, punched them out. In the old holes I put some decent screws I had lying around. Tried to match the length so it was uniform, but some were longer than others.

Next step is to take my DeWalt grinding wheel to the longest screws, and grind them down a little. Otherwise, they hold pretty well, Used them the other night, and felt like a billy goat again.

Default Modified sand spike

Met a guy in Cape May Sun, there fishing with his wife. Think his name was Jeff, or Jim, maybe? I remember faces, but am bad with names sometimes. If he reads this and contacts me, I will edit his correct name in.

He took a regular sand spike and modified it with some angle iron and a stainless steel handicapped grab bar.
    Really cool modification. Looks like it would stand up to some repeated positioning, in contrast to some of the ones I saw with the red plastic spike bars where you put your foot to dig the spike in.

Great innovation. There are probably others out there, but IMO he deserves the credit for this one. Thanks for letting me take the pics, nice setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p 7-12-08 032.jpg   p 7-12-08 031.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by fishlipper View Post
    Met a guy in Cape May Sun, there fishing with his wife. Think his name was Jeff, or Jim, maybe? I remember faces, but am bad with names sometimes. If he reads this and contacts me, I will edit his correct name in.

He took a regular sand spike and modified it with some angle iron and a stainless steel handicapped grab bar.
    Really cool modification. Looks like it would stand up to some repeated positioning, in contrast to some of the ones I saw with the red plastic spike bars where you put your foot to dig the spike in.

Great innovation. There are probably others out there, but IMO he deserves the credit for this one. Thanks for letting me take the pics, nice setup.

I like that setup, may have to make one. I'll probably use a longer tube, but follow that design.

Boot modifications. I didn't do this, but liked the pic of the guys work, and may copy it one day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P7170002.jpg   P7170003.jpg  

nice work on the boots.

pinhead44 Guest

2nd that good job on the boots, sometimes it's safer NOT to wear waders, like if the surf is big and you are on the jetty end.

Cool. the stainless could even be a handle for you to carry it with.

How about some pics of surf carts or stuff made to carry stuff to the spot without spilling all over?

Bump for a good thread. Anyone else working on any cool stuff, gear-wise, for the winter?

Met a dude on the rocks the other week who rigged up his korkers to withstand some abuse. He used some automotive hose for the "bumpers", and some HD parachute cord from EMS for the laces. Thought that was pretty cool, my korkers are on their last legs. Thought I would try some of his mods before buying new ones.

He gave me permission to take the pics, but I forgot his name. Thanks, dude, for the cool idea! Anyone else who is modifying your gear, let's see the pics.
    I like that idea. You think they would last longer and hold up to more abuse, thanks for posting the pics..

Default Surf bag tweaks

Some of the small things guys are doing to customize their bags to their specific application.

This is one Rip plugger did.
    He mostly fishes the rivers, doesn't hit the salt too often, so this is what works for him...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rp custom plug bag1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	12912

Default JimmyZ's modification for carrying big wood

Name:	jimmyz custom plug bag1.jpg 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	12914

Y'all know what a problem it is to carry the longest plugs in
    the surf bags. JimmyZ, always a tinkerer, found a way to resolve that. Pretty cool thinking.
    Sent in by Rip-Plugger, courtesy of JimmyZ, thanks.

Name:	jimmyz custom plug bag larger plugs.jpg 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	12913

some guys hit their local fence guys for scraps of pvc fence poles for long plugs may be them in the bag above or it may be leaders for gutters cut in sections can't tell.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    or it may be leaders for gutters cut in sections can't tell.
    Good call Surfstix
    that's exactly what it is.

Loaded bomber...

Name:	IMGP3551.JPG 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	14325

Met a guy the other night who never saw how easy it is to load a bomber. He never saw any of the "how to"internet videos, or went online to figure it out.

Instead, he did it himself, and sealed the hole with tape and epoxy....not the best job, admittedly,,,,

But the fact that he did it without benefit of instructions from anyone, or internet guidance, gives his creation high marks in my book.

When he catches something on that plug, it will be all the much sweeter....

Whatever works and that bomber works except he has to change those hooks.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Yeah I would change those out to VMCs. Otherwise if it works, its all good.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Instead, he did it himself, and sealed the hole with tape and epoxy....not the best job, admittedly,,,,

But the fact that he did it without benefit of instructions from anyone, or internet guidance, gives his creation high marks in my book.

When he catches something on that plug, it will be all the much sweeter....
    Yup!

Default Re: Gear mods

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    Boot modifications. I didn't do this, but liked the pic of the guys work, and may copy it one day.
    He was doing it back in 2008? Now they sell boots with it already done. Just goes to show you when you fish a lot you can see things are needed which may not exist as products yet. If he could have capitalized on them and started selling them he might have been rich now. Thanks for posting that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast