Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2013 Blues, Racers, Gators

Default Re: 2013 Blues, Racers, Gators

This is a monster blue someone caught weds. I think they were fishing the tin can grounds. Sheepshead bay boat. Hope to see these in a little closer soon.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19 lb Brooklkyn blue july 30.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	17367

Some big blues being reported around the shrewsbury rocks

that's a nice fish!

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Some big blues being reported around the shrewsbury rocks

Agreed and some even closer. A friend was drifting the rocks in his boat off long branch to asbury early in the morning over the weekend and got into some blues. Mostly cocktail, but once they found them he started jigging with avas. Biggest went 7#.

Default Re: Kayak Trips and Fishing Reports 2013

IN most parts of Jersey nearshore now we have a bluefish drought.
    Not many in the surf, and they are small cocktails when you find some...party boats are fishing 5-15 miles offshore of us where bluefish are abundant...only to catch limits of peewees measuring in inches and not pounds.
    '
    While there are many who turn their noses up at bluefish, I absolutely love the devastation and destruction caused by the bigger ones....when they are around either you lose all your gear, tackle, and plugs in the frenzy, or you learn to deal with it and manage to score a few gorillas.

really enjoyed your report, Cheech...it's been way too long since I've talked to ya....
    Thanks for the report.
    You sound like you had a blast,,,as always a pleasure to read a Cheech report..WTG!

(pics and report courtesy of Cheech )

Gorilla Blues in the Western Sound....8-12-13

Attachment 17385

Attachment 17384

The bunker got slammed today by the ospreys, the bluefish, and my treble snag.

Had trouble getting a intact bunker back to the kayak to liveline on a steel wired tandem hook rig.

Huge acrobatic bluefish were everywhere, my 15#mono, and 65#braid mainlines got sliced many times. Within seconds my drags were screaming on every drop.

After losing several rigs, all my steel leaders and a snag, I took the rubber tube off a 18" ss wire tube n worm and fished that. Fished till my hands and wrists were shot. The nearby porgy/fluke boats were also killing them by all the noise those guys were making. Next time I'll have plenty of steel and a real boat rod and reel. Got two non keeper bass on the way back to the dock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 133199 aug 12 2013.jpg   133200 aug 12 2013.jpg  

Default Re: Kayak Trips and Fishing Reports 2013

Some good news folks. friends of mine were fishing this week and found bigger blues to 17lbs in the Mud dump. You can read the Belmar party boat reports and see that some of the boats broke off from the fleet to take the ride north and found them as well. They are only 5-10 miles offshore now and will probably come closer in the next few weeks.

A fellow capt was in the NY Bight today and jigged bluefish up to 16 pounds. They said the whoie fleet was there even boats from Belmar. About halfway between Sandy Hook and Breezy point. and to the east of that.

Golden Eagle reported five blues over 20lbs today. I would love to see one of those.

Me too those are some monsters!

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Golden Eagle reported five blues over 20lbs today. I would love to see one of those.
    Today on the Brooklyn VI a guy got one 21.6 lbs. Yowza!!!!!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21.6 lbs.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	17629

blues are in mecca

A guy fishing next to me today got a bluefish that had to be 11 or 12 lbs. Prettty big, He got it on a bucktail. Haven't seen one that size in the surf in months.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234