Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Blues, Racers, Gators

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for May 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Fished last night starting just before midnight until 10am this morning. We were in the bay from 12-5am and I caught a 16lb bass and a buddy got a 8lb bass + one small blue. Decided to move and try the surf and we found what seemed like miles of small bluefish blitzing just outside of casting range. They did move in and out and we had some fun with them on light rods. Also tossed some of my leftover bait from the night trip to see if any bass in the surf where willing to cooperate...conditions felt very fishy.

This female crab is lucky I'm to lazy to steam just one crab although I am having withdrawals from OLDBAY.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Thanks for answering my question about the blowfish jb they look like nice size and the crab looks mighty tasty too bad you couldn't get some more.
    I fished nomoco this morning from 5-7 incoming tide there were some blues there. Had good time with them on metal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC 4300912.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	17058

I did not catch this bluefish but saw it online. Capt Paul Peluso from MamaMia. I thought it was a monster and worth posting. Can't wait till we have them that size in the rivers here!

Name:	monster bluefish.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	17073

Default Re: 2013 Blues, Racers, Gators

Got them 10lbs and up yesterday late noon into night. All on bunker chunks, bayshore. The bunker came in and the blues after them. Bit off a lot of my leaders and tackle. Wicked fun.

Name:	887911111.jpg 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	17121

Nice bluefish dudes! I was fishing over the weekend. Walked past one guy who was fluking. He got a six pound bluefish on his gulp. He was cursing. He said "I would rather not fish, than catch these suckers!" I dunno blues are kinda fun!

I enjoy catching Blues, but Gators give me an extra adrenalin rush.
    This year and last year there has been a few times where there where lots blues around in the 1-5 pound range. But some bigger ones where mixed in, somewhere in the area I was fishing. So the challenge was to try to catch the Gators. I like to think of Gators as a Blue 30 inches or bigger.
    They have been giving a few of my plugs a beating Plus its awesome getting top water Blues and Gators.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Some big blues were in the bay the last week of May, following the bunker schools.....never showing, never blitzing,.....but busting tackle for anyone throwing bunker chunks.,....pics courtesy of the TCB crew......

Name:	tcb gator blue may 29 2013.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	17157

Name:	tcb crew rod bent by gator 5 29 13.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	17158

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I enjoy catching Blues, but Gators give me an extra adrenalin rush.So the challenge was to try to catch the Gators. I like to think of Gators as a Blue 30 inches or bigger.
    They have been giving a few of my plugs a beating Plus its awesome getting top water Blues and Gators.

You know I feel the same way....when the blues get to 30" and up,,,,I would rather leave the bass and target them....
    One of the old timers I met the other day....one of Chuckwagon Chuck's friends....and I were talking about this....

He said:
    "I want to catch any fish that's fun to catch...bluefish are fun because they just do not give up...even when you beach them they want to kill you!"....
    Simple but true...why does it have to be a bass for most guys to get excited about it?
    IMO There is nothing for the surf fisherman (except for big albies) like casting and catching giant after giant blue....better than going to the gym....and enough adrenalin for a natural high that lasts me for hours......

Awesome pics thanks for starting this thread monty!!
    A bluefish I got the other day

Name:	mad demon.jpg 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	17162Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mad demons.jpg 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	17163

Nice shots keep em coming.

So where are all the blues and how come the party boats can't even find them? are they spawning?

Quote Originally Posted by baitstealer View Post
    So where are all the blues and how come the party boats can't even find them? are they spawning?
    I think its that time of the year when they head out to spawn.

^ What Monty said. They are supposably all offshore too. This was on nj.com yesteday Capt Al.

Ocean bluefishing has been a disaster for party and charter boats along the Shore, but Capt. Russ Binns proved there's no lack of choppers if you just sail far enough. On Sunday, Binns ran his Mar-Lin from Toms River off to the Glory Hole where he was soon covered up with blues to 12 pounds instead of the bluefin tuna he was seeking. That's about the worst thing that can happen to a tuna troller as the choppers tear up expensive lures, if not cutting them off. Indeed, Binns said he saw only one sea turtle and hardly any birds all day as he moved to the Atlantic Princess for more blues in clear waters. He ended up at the HA Buoy, where the water was green and the bluefish not as abundant. Binns said they must have caught 50 blues during the day, and the only consolation I could give him was that he'd probably outfished the entire Shore bluefish fleet over the last several weeks.

Though the Golden Eagle from Belmar hasn't caught any blues on day trips recently, Capt. Jim Elliott got into a few Saturday night. They have had information about big blues within range, and plan to try reaching them.

The belmar boats finally got on some blues today.

^^^2nd day in a row they got into them today again. Had to go offshore 30 miles to get some. I hope that changes soon, would really like to see some of those gators. Even small ones will do it has been a desert as far as bluefish action goes.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    ^^^2nd day in a row they got into them today again. Had to go offshore 30 miles to get some. I hope that changes soon, would really like to see some of those gators. Even small ones will do it has been a desert as far as bluefish action goes.
    Yep, same for about two weeks now.

I wish the headboats offered to net the blues rather than just gaff everything. They would be so much fun on light tackle.

Some blues are starting to be caught in the Barnegat Ridge area and SE of that. I feel they should be a lot closer to shore by the end of the month.
    Some friends of mine caught small cocktails in the Barnegat inlet yesterday.

They are back in the RB.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    They are back in the RB.
    Thanks for the "heads up", that's good news.

I don't like the current path I am on. Honey, somebody shrunk the bluefish!

1 month ago they were brutes! 10-12lbs+
    Two weeks ago average size was around 5lbs
    Sunday average size was 1lb
    Next week - snappers

I honestly can't wait for some cooler water again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast