Thread: Should kayakers be responsible for their own safety? Should they take a safety course like boaters?

Default Should kayakers be responsible for their own safety? Should they take a safety course like boaters?

There was a good bass bite in the bay yesterday. My buddy was out on a boat and crushed the bass. He mentioned a group of about 15 kayaks though and said some of them were off from the main group. One guy had a sand colored one and was very difficult to see. Also my friend was griping about flags and said every kayak should have flags or reflective tape.

I wish those kayakers would be more responsible though. He almost collided with one that didn't have a flag. One of these days there is going to be a serious accident and the kayakers family will get a high price lawyer to sue the boat owner when in reality the kayakker should have been more careful. My bud feels its a matter of time before someone hits one. Says they should all be licensed with a safety course mandatory. what do you guys think?

Default Re: Should kayakers be responsible for their own safety? Should they take a safety course like boate

Another thing my bud said was he feels all kayaks should be registered with the state. All boats have to be registered, and some canoes in fresh water if they fish certain reservoirs. Kayaks should be no different. With the explosion of all the kayakkers out there it makes sense.

Default Re: Should kayakers be responsible for their own safety? Should they take a safety course like boate

Great and timely topic ledhead. I have lost count of all the times I have come upon a kayaker in rough water and not been able to see them because the swells are too big. They bob up and down like a cork in the ocean. How easy would it be to spot a cork out there? Well I feel the same way about a kayak. I think bright colors are a plus. Anyone fishing a busy area should have a yellow or brightly colored one, red etc. Flags should be an absolute must.

Licensing is a great idea. With all the revenue the state is claiming to have lost since sandy this would be a great one. License all the kayaks in the state and you would be up a few million at least. Don't make it too much. $50 a year sounds like a good start. Kayaks particpate in the same environment that we boaters do, with the Coast Guard, etc, being called in if there is a rescue needed. Why should they be free riders? That was the point that I agree with most , if we have to pay every year to register our boats why not kayaks? I also agree it is only a matter of time before there is a serious accident where a boater hits a kayak. Then there will be hell to pay. Better to be pro active and start to regulate them now as it is already out of hand.

The thing that worries me most is when they are in a channel in an inlet. I know as a Capt I have to be more aware in an inlet but they should not be allowed to traverse the inlets to go out to the ocean. Too dangerous. There should be a minimum fine for doing this. ledhead I agree with your friend I have had several near misses with kayakers I did not see until the last minute. Bright colors help. A flag should be required too. As has been mentioned when the swell is big and they bob up and down you can only see a portion of them. I do want to share the water with everyone and realize the danger of a wake near a kayaker so I do my best to be extra careful. What gets to me is some of them have real attitudes. If you try to point out something that is lacking in their safety features they get defensive. Don't understand why.

I think a state safety course can't hurt. If a capt of a boat has to have all papers in order and know how to operate a vessel that is safe it would be smart to require this of kayakers as well. Every year in the sound we have fishermen who drown from their kayaks. What if a kayaker is missing and there is no id to be found. If a yakak had a registration number at least you would have some better info. My .02

When on the water in my yak I try to offer boats the same courtesy I want to be given to me. I dont agree with having an attitude there is no need for it. One time I had a problem with a group of drunk boaters but they should not have been behind the wheel in the first place.

x2 a little respect goes both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    Great and timely topic ledhead. I have lost count of all the times I have come upon a kayaker in rough water and not been able to see them because the swells are too big. They bob up and down like a cork in the ocean. How easy would it be to spot a cork out there? Well I feel the same way about a kayak. I think bright colors are a plus. Anyone fishing a busy area should have a yellow or brightly colored one, red etc. Flags should be an absolute must.

Licensing is a great idea. With all the revenue the state is claiming to have lost since sandy this would be a great one. License all the kayaks in the state and you would be up a few million at least. Don't make it too much. $50 a year sounds like a good start. Kayaks particpate in the same environment that we boaters do, with the Coast Guard, etc, being called in if there is a rescue needed. Why should they be free riders? That was the point that I agree with most , if we have to pay every year to register our boats why not kayaks? I also agree it is only a matter of time before there is a serious accident where a boater hits a kayak. Then there will be hell to pay. Better to be pro active and start to regulate them now as it is already out of hand.

Agree 100%. With the amount of kayakers out there and with the things I read about them its a disaster about to happen.
    How it cannot be mandatory for flags to be required is stupid.
    Great ideas in this thread, I could see them being put in place within 5 years (yearly license, flags, inlets, safety courses).
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I'm glad you agree monty you might think I have nothing better to do than with you. no one is addressing this and 5 years down the road it could be the reality. Don't want to offend any of the kayak guys here or dark either but ledhead hit the nail on the head. There are too many of them. The sport is growing. Some of them have attitudes as mentioned. You could also say boaters have attitudes too but if you ever run into a drunk boater you should report him to the marine police. I drink a lot when home but never on the water when lives are at stake. It's time to regulate the plastic navy before a real tragedy happens. Anyone who disagrees is being short sighted.

IMO most act like they have a death wish especially at night

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I try to always have the flag on my kayak and I got the bigger flag for easier visibility. I also choose yellow in hopes that it stands out more. I don't kayak by myself ever. I stay out of the shipping lanes and have never had my kayak in an inlet. I avoid rough weather in the kayak for the reasons mentioned in the previous posts (disappearing in the swell) and because I don't find it fun. I can usually catch more fish with my feet planted on the ground.

i should add a plastic whistle, waterproof radio, and some reflective tape to my kayak and life vest.

I have had boats go by max speed in the river/bay no doubt about see me for 100 yards just blast me with their wake with no concern, Majority of boaters want to show off how big their ______ is by going fast, even if could mean 2 min longer to get to the inlet at a fair speed. When chasing birds and fish most go way to fast. i Drive a 30' foot boat as well from time to time and I seriously cant imagine being in forward without looking and seeing whats in front of me.