Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: MEAT MEN of New Jersey

I didn't read every page of this thread, but it seems like a good thing to do is work on the New Jersey politicians and cut down those three fish you guys are taking.

Governor Christy refused to sign 3 fish bill. But the law says if he doesn't after 30 days what ever is on the table becomes law.

Tom Fote pushed really hard for it even lying to politicians and getting the JCAA to back him with there 1200 member BS . He kept saying to everyone that if we didn't the bonus tag quota would go to another state. Striped bass is the only fish that has a non transferable quota this was told to Fote by Russ Allen of the ASMFC who over sees bass at a meeting. Russ sticks up for us as he is an avid bass fisherman.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Some more meat. captree meat wagon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails captree meat.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Thank you for saying that!
    We probably can't do much about these a holes and liars. I still pledge that if they ever do put a moratorium on us, I will personally call captain Derek and those other a hole captains up there and ask them- hey can you go striped bass fishing today? When they say no, I will ask them why and then I will say- "oh that's right you can't go fishing for stripers because you killed them all!!!!" I wish some of you other guys would join me.
    I wouldn't waste my breath. These guys don't care. During the last 2 weeks I have seen more boats parked in front of island beach and lavalette than I have since the sandeel invasion of 2012. They don't care what you or I think. After all they are only doing what the law allows them to. Sucks that each week the stripers get smaller and smaller and they still hype the bite to an unreal level. Nothing much we can do except to watch it happen.

You make good sense that there isn't a point to protest. It has to be done through the political process. Unfortunately the fishermen that should be saying something won't call or protest. We tried to galvanize groups to save the jetties from the acoe taking the wrong direction and not that many showed.

As others have said maybe a moratorium is the only thing that will work, for the second time. A lot of Captains will go out of business as the clientele contracts. That or folks will get used to targeting bluefish again. Which is the way it used to be in the early 80's.

It is a testament to greed and selfishness that the ones who have the most self-preservation at stake, the Charter and Party Boat captains, won't take an honest look at what they are doing. A lot of us killed fish in the 70's and sold them without realizing the toll it was taking on the bass population. My friends and I did it. Almost everyone we knew who caught a lot of fish did it as well. We finally realized the error of our ways. That's why I am mostly catch and release now. I think the folks who are doing the most damage now know exactly how perilous the numbers really are. Boat payments and short-sightedness prevent them from admitting it in public. We were exactly the same way in the 70's and 80's but we learned from our mistakes.

I don't think the biggest offenders today will learn until it is too late. jmo

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    A lot of Captains will go out of business as the clientele contracts. That or folks will get used to targeting bluefish again.
    It is a testament to greed and selfishness that the ones who have the most self-preservation at stake, the Charter and Party Boat captains, won't take an honest look at what they are doing.
    Well said I agree 100%. Look guys, I am realistic enough to know that calling a Captain out on his BS and raping the ocean is prob useless. I do feel that captains should know better. The people who go on the boats every day, some of them may not fish a lot or pay attention to what is going on. They are hard working people who just want to go out and catch some. It's up to the captain to explain that they're trying to keep the stripers around for the future. They do this in Fla with the redfish. Cali with the rockfish. Alaska with the salmon and halibut. They are all regulated tightly. Anglers don't complain about that. Also there are some good captains out there. There was one that would tell the clients that the striped bass is not in great shape and encourage c&r of the big girls. I think that guy was out of manasquan, anyone remember what his name was? He seemed to me to be one of the better ones. These other captains who advertise bonus plus plus,. and "get your bonus tags here!!" are all just raping the resource. Fisher price and all the others. They are the ones who should know better. And they suck for not being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Also there are some good captains out there. There was one that would tell the clients that the striped bass is not in great shape and encourage c&r of the big girls. I think that guy was out of manasquan, anyone remember what his name was? He seemed to me to be one of the better ones.
    That might have been Gene Quigley, of shorecatch.com. Good Capt and nice guy.

sooooo - who do you guys think will be the first man on the meatman leaderboard this year?

I think it's already been done. Bucktails got a keeper on clams the other day. just the one, from what I read, so no chance to pound the chest for the maximum limit plus plus.

Quote Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
    sooooo - who do you guys think will be the first man on the meatman leaderboard this year?
    Fisher Price IV on 4/8 reported "Excellent Bassin"
    "Only killing the legal limit"
    Dead bass with eggs.

I think it should be strictly C and R until they are done spawning each year.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Fisher Price IV on 4/8 reported "Excellent Bassin"
    "Only killing the legal limit"
    Dead bass with eggs.

I think it should be strictly C and R until they are done spawning each year.
    Think that's bad check out Johnny bucktails video on his new 1/2 million dollar boat daddy bought him

500k for a boat? Most kids if they are lucky dad and mom buy them a new car, 30k at most. What dad buys a 500 thousand dollar boat for his kid?

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Think that's bad check out Johnny bucktails video on his new 1/2 million dollar boat daddy bought him
    Looks like he and his buddies are killing their limit of breeders every trip this year.
    Stupid regulations should be changed to protect the breeders from inconsiderate irresponsible homo sapiens like them.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

down deep on the meat today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0109109.jpg  

None of the charters request they want to throw back fish even when captains suggest it. I have heard this repeatedly from charter captain that I know who push for catch and release except for Johnny ducktails who goes on ego killing trips

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post

Just don't understand why you guys in jersey have to be so damn greedy. In LI and a lot of other states we can only keep one striper. You think at least SOME of the guys on jersey head boats would try to help out a bit. greedy damn gavones!

Quote Originally Posted by 7deadlyplugs View Post
    Just don't understand why you guys in jersey have to be so damn greedy. In LI and a lot of other states we can only keep one striper. You think at least SOME of the guys on jersey head boats would try to help out a bit. greedy damn gavones!
    Couldn't agree more but our extra fish come from us being a game fish state with no commercial fishery so we get there quota. This is still less than the NY recreation and commercial quotas. Some of the worse offenders are the NY Captree fleet. I still agree on the 1 fish coast wide with no commercial fishing

NY goes over quota every year on Striped bass, blackfish ,fluke and seabass they are the worst offenders on the east coast this is brought up at all meetings but Schumer gets it over looked with loopholes in NY law

None of the charters request they want to throw back fish even when captains suggest it. I have heard this repeatedly from charter captain that I know who push for catch and release except for Johnny ducktails who goes on ego killing trips
    Its all about ego and stroking theirselves. As for the fares on the charters they don't give a crap. Like ostriches with heads in the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Looks like he and his buddies are killing their limit of breeders every trip this year.
    Stupid regulations should be changed to protect the breeders from inconsiderate irresponsible homo sapiens like them.

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post

I wondered if you noticed something this year or is it just me?
    With the exception of the down deep out of keyport it doesn't seem that NJ Captains are posting those dock shots of the meat lined up anymore.
    It seems that this one website stripersandanglers is responsible for putting a lot of pressure on them to stop this stupid practice. If so kudos to the guys who started this thread and taking the heat and abuse. Does that seem true or is it just too early in the season yet to tell?

Quote Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
    I wondered if you noticed something this year or is it just me?
    With the exception of the down deep out of keyport it doesn't seem that NJ Captains are posting those dock shots of the meat lined up anymore.
    It seems that this one website stripersandanglers is responsible for putting a lot of pressure on them to stop this stupid practice. If so kudos to the guys who started this thread and taking the heat and abuse. Does that seem true or is it just too early in the season yet to tell?
    The Belmar fleet hasn't started yet neither has the Manasquan fleet most of those captains were in the shop the other day gearing up and waiting for fish to arrive

Johnny Bucktails is part of the Down Deep Charter fleet

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast