Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Surfwalker Challenge.....Do you Follow the Herd, or Lead your Own Way????

Default Re: The Surfwalker Challenge.....Do you Follow the Herd, or Lead your Own Way????

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    15 years back bomber was the go to lure. Now fellas want something with fancy bells and whistles. The power of marketing and advertising.Go figure.
    The bomber was still king just a few years ago; if they redesigned it to cast further it would be king again IMO.

Default Re: The Surfwalker Challenge.....Do you Follow the Herd, or Lead your Own Way????

The main reason SP took over from bomber is bombers cast like **** and no one really likes the 3 sets of trebles. In the 3 shops I repair rods for you can't give bombers away. If your old enough to remember Bomber replaced the Hellcat and Redfin. Hell the cell phone replaced the CB on the fishing scene. Also Mambo's will fall by the way side because people won't pay $20 for them. At $9.95 the SP rules and out casts anything and catches. The SP also holds in strong current where a Bomber ,Redfin or Mambo can't go. Also the new Bakers are outstanding and keep up with the SP with a profile more like the big C10 Redfin. Nothing is for ever only thing guaranteed in life is change..

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Nothing is for ever only thing guaranteed in life is change..
    that's the truth!

Default Re: NJ Fishing pics

June 10.....Cownose ray, caught on a plug......

Attachment 17205Attachment 17206
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP3844.jpg   IMGP3845.jpg  

June 16 AM trip
    5 hour Monty Mini Marathon

Got the blues....
    Some bluefish activity in the dark, swimmers.
    As opposed to the day before they would not hit top water....tried 3 separate times during the trip.
    Best action on swimmers....Half the fish came from the OFFC plug,

Attachment 17291

which is now trashed after catching over 30 bluefish...tail hook and back part of plug broke.....

One of the "larger" bluefish was caught on speedy's white swimmer...

Attachment 17290

The blues that morning were so small they were not pic worthy...half the size of the blues the day before

What was interesting was how picky and sluggish they were....light hits, if you missed it they would not come back....
    I missed so many fish it was embarassing.
    When the plug bite died they hit metal at varying retrieves until slack tide. Bite was dead after that.

Also hooked and landed 2 cownose rays, 8-10#...both on metal.

Attachment 17292

Total:
    14 blues to 3#.
    2 cownose rays.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP3890.jpg   IMGP3893.jpg  

IMGP3903.jpg  

June 22 2013 - Early AM - 3 hour trip.....

Started out with good expectations...went back to the well-known bluefish and weakfish bay spot to see if I could find the bigger blues at night....
    I failed at that, but did manage to land a 6# weakfish, my first of the year....she was beautiful, had not seen them in long time....quick pic and release.....

Attachment 17297

on a small swimmer...(old and ugly, see the Surfwalker thread...)
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...d-your-Own-Way

The rest of the night went downhill after that...........my bail spring broke and I was not really participating any more no matter how hard I triied....it was too much of a pita.....so I cut the trip short and called it a night early, no other action for me...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP3927.jpg  

In the month of May caught some nice fish on ugly, beat up, old swimmers (with upgraded hooks and split rings)...will post the pics when I get a chance....

very innovative thread and thanks for the tutorial ds.

West Wind Ralph........Yeah I think your psychedelic past has definitely caused some permanent damage!

^Rob, my teen and young adult years were times when kids did a lot of experimenting with psychedelics.....I think 3 kids from our high school class died from drug or alcohol use and related accidents.....Joe did a lot of that stuff too...you should ask him to tell you some of the stories next time you're out fishin together... ....but that was an earlier chapter of my life...

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ou-Know-Bill-W
    30 years clean and sober since then.....

Glad ya like the West Wind Wally and Ralph...btw I will be phasing West Wind Ralph out, back to West Wind Wally....will be shooting some new WWW videos this summer when I get a chance.....

Basshunter, you're welcome. ....
    Remember that this thread arose from a conversation with Surfwalker about how guys have blinders on that a particular plug, like the SP for example, is the only way to catch fish....

Statistically, only about 25-30% of my yearly bass catches, come from the SP...
    Over the past 4 weeks, the one plug that has been the least effective for me, has been the SP.
    If that was the only plug that I would consider using I would have missed out on a lot of fish....
    Food for thought......

I am in the process of tying some flies for the fall. I am working on some ways to be able to cast the flies and work them without a plug or swimmer or without getting a flyrod. It may not be possible but I am going to take the summer to work on it.

I am fishing a 2 flies rig my spinning gear. I have a small piece of leader (about 12") with a inline sinker. There are 2 swivels on each end. Then I connect that leader to my main line and then to my rig via powerclips (or snaps) then I tie a leader with a dropper loop (which leaves me with 2 tag ends. THe dropper loop gets attached to the power clip and I tie 2 flies to the tag ends. So far no tangles whatsoever and I can cast a mile. The weight allows me to feel the bottom nicely (which means my flies are just above the bottom) I pre-rigged a few "sinker leader" with different weights and can switch them out easily via the powerclips. A keel weight like Kayak willy's would be more efficient, but what can I say I am cheap!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fly leader.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	17233

June 27/28 PM/AM trip:

Weather conditions forced me to re-plan my night. The wind and swell were bad, so I found an inlet where I could get a little lee and the wind wasn't so daunting.

Attachment 17303

Attachment 17304

Attachment 17301

Attachment 17302
    Total:
    6 bass to 10#,,,,3 small blues -
    5 hour trip
    All bass were fat and had been feeding well.
    2 of the bass were legal, kept one to see what they were eating., released the rest.....

Mostly on plugs..one on bucktail.....and then when I was getting ready to leave, one nicer fish dropped, on rubber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP4002.jpg   IMGP4006.jpg  

IMGP4007.jpg   IMGP4014.jpg  

I copied the posts above from other threads. You will see at least one fish, in each post, that has been caught on a no-name swimmer. Sometimes they were larger, but for the most part they were smaller swimmers. Some got destroyed by the fish (The small yellow swimmer the OFFC gave me got busted up after 30 bluefish, but so what?).....

In most cases they produced lots of fish for me....
    They were the only thing that would produce for that trip...
    Usually this was because of the very small forage around that time of the season...and the fact that these swimmers came closest to matching it.....
    And..best of all, they all cost $5 or less.....

I cant wait for the fall run when I can catch bass with my homemade flies....I hope anyway

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for August 2013.....wwwStripersAndAnglers.com

Fished this morning ocean side from 1:00 to 8:00.
    Picked up a shad on a teaser, then a decent Fluke on a loaded red fin, Sea Robin also on the loaded Red Fin.
    Also picked up 6 short stripers, biggest around 24 inches.
    Loaded Red Fin, white Hogy and feathered teaser (2 on each).
    And a double of blues (Howdy and feathered teaser).
    Last fish caught around 6:15.
    None of the fish were sluggish, was awesome seeing them crash the White Hogy.
    Had a few bumps and misses, covered at least a mile and half of beach, great time .
    Beautiful night, saw 4 shooting stars, ocean had small chop. Water and air were cool.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Nice going monty you nailed the inshore trifecta only thing missing for a full house was a weakfish. I fished moco from 10-2am last night picked up a few short bass on a black bomber.

ps monty loaded redfin - nice!

Default Re: LI plug and tackle manufacturers: back in time....

Was looking at the back pages and found this. Great thread fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    The official bumper sticker for Sekora lures.I had one still lying around.
    A wealth of info in this thead. Very informative. Thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast