Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for May 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Default NJ Fishing Reports for May 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

NJ fishing reports for May 2013. ..www.StripersandAnglers.com

NJ fishing reports for May 2013...www.stripersandanglers.com

**Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING. Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED.
    Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

**For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
    Out Front (Ocean) OR -- Out Back (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time.

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

1. If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:
    If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish there today?

2. If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
    More discussion on this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
    NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
    SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
    IBSP - Island Beach State Park
    LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
    CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
    CMC - Cape May County
    GEI - Great Egg Inlet
    TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
    BB - Barnegat Bay
    CB - Chesapeake Bay
    DB - Delaware Bay

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for May 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Baitstealer,
    you won the plug in the April 2013 random drawing!
    PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked!

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site!

fished last nite to 1am 3 small runts and some small bluefish on snot.

Worked a few places on the incoming tide yesterday. 2 bass to 12# bucktail.

1 bass and 1 blue this AM both still swimming

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Fished a few hours on icoming tide in the RB. Nothing going on . Every where I went was empty ...you could tell everyone went to SH

5:00 to 7:00 PM 17 blues to 14 pounds all on metal all still swimming

Fished nomoco today after work. Glad to be back in an old familiar place. The ocean was a little rough so I made a bit of a move to some calmer water. Picked up 5 bass, 3 on bucktail and worm, and 2 on a rubber shad. Biggest was 27" lots of fun. Last of the outgoing.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    5:00 to 7:00 PM 17 blues to 14 pounds all on metal all still swimming
    Finchaser that is a hell of a report your arms must be tired! I want those blues please send some up our way. I saw 2 small blues caught tonight that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
    Fished a few hours on icoming tide in the RB. Nothing going on . Every where I went was empty ...you could tell everyone went to SH
    madcaster hope they all stay at sandy hook. there are still some nice bass around. got 3 keepers to 36" last night. Kept the first one he was around 29" let the other 2 go. Bunker came in thick and was throwing heads. Also one blue around 8lbs. That one came on clams till I switched to bunker heads.

Fished ibsp 3am-11pm howling east wind dirty water with clams 1 keeper and few shorts.

*^ Striperhunter that water sure was dirty yesterday. Congrats for getting out there in less than optimal conditions and putting the time in for those fish. I'm a little confused, how long were you out there? Almost sounds like a Monty Marathon to me.

Finchaser....you know I'm going to mug ya for those bluefish one of these nights.....make sure you have a clothespin handy for your nose when I come knocking.....would rather have insane bluefish action than mediocre bass action any day........glad ya got into em.
    Maybe today you won't be so damn grouchy....

Report 5-1 PM
    Took a little nap after a hard day's work so I could get out there on the right tides and still be able to function today. Man I'm getting old, had to pop 3 advils when I got up to go out there at night.

Same lack of pattern again, it seems in some areas the back bay fish have thinned out. Others, where the bunker are thickest, are producing, but I am finding more dead water than ever this year....just a general lack of bait and small forage fish, other than bunker.....and colder water almost everywhere, by the time I get out there.

Managed 2 bass, 15 and 17#.
    This time I kept one to eat (smaller one, first one caught). I feel cold water bass, before they start gorging on bunker, taste a little better. Released the other. Both fat chunky fish, put up a decent fight, blind casting small swimmers.

No other activity at all for me.....no misses, nothing. This was the only activity of the trip, despite fishing in 2 separate areas and slogging through the sedges on the flats each time I decided to move.

Fished from 10pm last night until 6am this morning.

Only two small 5lb blues got in our way

Once we snagged enough bunker we started catching a lot of nice sized bass consistently. We had multiple double headers of 15-20lb sized bass. We lost track on how many we caught but nothing over 20lbs. Most fish caught were around 15-18lbs. I seemed to cull out all the smaller sized fish today.

I live lined a bunker as the sun was rising and got the smallest bass of the night around 30". LOL

What a way to start May!

Now for the ugly: I made three stops in the bay including where we caught the bass the other day and it was DEAD before making our final stop.

Finchaser, I can't wait to get on some monstor blues.

Way to put in the time John! I was on the graveyard shift last night too tossing the heads. 5 bass to 40". As you said they were all keeper sized. Kind of worries me not to see small ones though. 2 weeks ago it was the clams now the bunka head is the crack that they want.
    Have to give it to you for the 8 hours of fishing, your *** must have been dragging at work today.

fished the hook this morning' . 1 small bass an 2 skates but it felt good to fish there again.

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    Way to put in the time John! I was on the graveyard shift last night too tossing the heads. 5 bass to 40". As you said they were all keeper sized. Kind of worries me not to see small ones though. 2 weeks ago it was the clams now the bunka head is the crack that they want.
    Have to give it to you for the 8 hours of fishing, your *** must have been dragging at work today.
    Between Monday into Tuesdays all nighter and last nights marathon I was a walking zombie this morning; I am feeling much better right now after a nap at lunch time. I wish I did not have to work, I would be out tonight and would have been out Tuesday night as well. I spent a lot of time trying to snag bunker last night as thats all I could get the fish to take and that took a lot out of me. I tried to plug for a good bit of the incoming with nothing to show for it. With the action as hot as it was on the outgoing I feel I could have plugged a few fish if I really wanted to.

Leadhead, on Monday the fish wanted heads and we were only getting hit consistently on heads. Last night I was fishing mostly heads and I was catching less fish and smaller fish while my buddy was using small 1-2" chunks and he litteraly pulled out 3-4 fish in a row that were cookie cutter 18-20lb (boga) fish.

Can't afford to make it back out tonight and keep my job.

I don't know how you do it Ledhead. I wish I had Dark's insane energy levels sometimes.

Just wanted to say that all of my fish were released. Please consider releasing these breeders that are feeding on bunker and instead take some smaller 30" fish from the surf. As Dark mentioned they usually taste better

Nice job fellas. When everyone else is leaving you are heading out.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Between Monday into Tuesdays all nighter and last nights marathon I was a walking zombie this morning;
    Sometimes we call it the 2nd shift. Now in honor of John we can call it the zombie shift.
    Yup those bass just don't bite like that in the middle of a sunny day unless you are on a boat or kayak or they are blitzing the surf on bunker.

9 blue fish to 8pounds all alive and well

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Yup those bass just don't bite like that in the middle of a sunny day unless you are on a boat or kayak or they are blitzing the surf on bunker.
    They used to, and not too many years ago at that. Spring blitzes of bass and blues, no bunker needed. Miles of fish along the nj coast. Miss one group and you could just drive to another. We used to find them by driving up and down the beaches. No cell phones. does anyone remember that? Nice catching, gang.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast