Thread: Bluefish on the Fly

Thumbs up Bluefish on the Fly

I need some general advice on my leader material when it comes to the fly rod.

I am going to hit the RB later today around high tide and plan to bring only my 8wt rod.

I have one tapered leader (RIO 7ft 20lb). I plan to use this with about 6" of 30lb surfstrand knotable wire.

If something where to go wrong with leader then I have 20, 30 and 60lb mono to make my own or 20 & 40lb fluro.

I plan to fish with Bob's bangers mostly.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this setup?

I have been told the 8wt is too light for the big blues but its the heaviest fly rod that I currently own. I think the only issue will be getting a solid hookset on such a soft rod.

Default Re: Bluefish on the Fly

Hi JB I'm not a fan of wire for fly fishing. I like using 80 pound test line around 6 inches, I also use straight 15 pound test line for my leader for my 7wt and 20 pound test for my 10wt. The lenght of the leader should be around 8 to 9 feet for floating line and 4 or 5 feet for sinking line. anywhere in the middle for intermidiate. Your rio 7ft is fine, just be aware that your flyline breaking point is around 20 pounds also. so put a tippet between the leader and the wire or heavy mono.

I like using the albright knot.

I also use the Alberto knot.

For tying the fly to the leader/tippet I use a Homer Rhode Knot, so the fly could pivot and have more action.

For the 8wt. you should have no problem handling the fish. once you get some experiance. Use the butt of your rod to fight the fish, and palm the reel to add drag when needed. The weight rating of the rod is more for the size of the flyline. The flyline is what carries the fly. If the fly is to heavy for the flyline it won't cast well. you will have to match the fly to the flyline. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    The flyline is what carries the fly. If the fly is to heavy for the flyline it won't cast well. you will have to match the fly to the flyline. good luck

nice vpass. What wt rod or size line would you use for some of the bigger bunker flys?

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    nice vpass. What wt rod or size line would you use for some of the bigger bunker flys?
    I use a 10wt. for that size fly. It also alters your timing due to drag. You have to slow down your foward and back cast (Longer pause between the two. you still need the speed/acceleration part of the cast), the same thing with a larger popper. it takes alittle time to get use to.

Great info vpass thanks for sharing.

VPass, thanks for sharing what I am sure is a lot of hard earned knowledge over the years.

I will practice the Homer Rhode Loop knot tonight; I am already familiar with the Alberto knot.

My fly line has a welded loop (RIO Outbound 8WT floating) on the tag end and I made some spare 20lb leaders with a perfection loop knot on the tag end. Is this where you would use the Albright or Alberto knot instead of a perfection loop?

The other day when I was out I realized first hand why steel leaders are no good for flies. It curls up and even a slight curl combined with a light fly ruins the presentation.

I am just thinking out loud here to better understand why these are the preferred methods. Teach a man how to fish analogy…

For floating line a 8-9ft leader will help in not having a bunch of heavy fly line hit the water and spook any nearby fish and it will also let the fly sink a little for a better presentation.

With a sinking line we no longer have to worry about the above two issues and it now becomes a reduced visibility and chaffing leader.

Awesome stuff guys. Here is a video I found of a guy catching them from a kayak.

Mario is a great character. I see him out there quite often, one of the few kayakers out there at 4am.

A true fly fisherman from the kayak, not one of those who uses a fly rod to troll with. In fact he fishes the fly fishing division at the Jamaica Bay tournament and was telling me how 90% of the guys there just troll around all day and never actually fly fish...

IMO trolling a fly rod should just be put into the same class as spinning/conventional rods.

Rob, you should fish with Mario; I think you two would get along great.
    Text me, we can all get together and do a kayak bluefish fly fishing only trip

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Rob, you should fish with Mario; I think you two would get along great.Text me, we can all get together and do a kayak bluefish fly fishing only trip
    I just saw this....We probably missed the blues by now. Hey by the way you know those collapsible clothes hampers, they are made of mesh? I picked one up to use as a stripping basket when I stand and fly cast.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    I just saw this....We probably missed the blues by now. Hey by the way you know those collapsible clothes hampers, they are made of mesh? I picked one up to use as a stripping basket when I stand and fly cast.
    Rob,

Mario got himself a 12# fluke last week from the yak!

A 12 lb fluke on the fly. How the heck do you do that? Details please!

Quote Originally Posted by surferman View Post
    A 12 lb fluke on the fly. How the heck do you do that? Details please!
    This kind of fly had 1.5oz of lead attached to it....bucktail

I believe he hired Elias the kayak guide....I am sure Dark will post the whole story when he gets away from his arm chair cell phone!

I don't think he used a fly to get that fluke, people, though I could be wrong.....

complete report will be posted in kayak fishing reports.....
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...rts-2015/page2

Pics and report courtesy of Eli....

"Had Mario and his friends out from Jersey with me. Fluke bite wasn't totally lock and but I guided him to his first DD fluke. We weighed the fish in at Bernie's and it ran 11.14lbs. Congrats on the fish of a lifetime and from a kayak. Not a whole lot of guys in that category Mario. Didn't go soft on the fluke myself, I bucktailed up a 28" fluke with the guys too."