Thread: Artificials for Blues at Night

Default Artificials for Blues at Night

I have found catching Blues at night on artificials to be "challenging" at times.....for me most of the time, but that's part of the fun.
    I was throwing SP minnows, wood and other plastic the other night and the only thing they would hit was a black teaser.
    Rubber is most often not an option, its not like they are durable in any way.
    However sacrificing one to find blues in an area works for me.

Most of the Gators I catch at night are either accidental on a 14" Hogy or on Big Dannys.

Here is a double from the other night with the black teaser.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Default Re: Artificials for Blues at Night

How about buck tails?
    nice double header!

Nothing beats a buck and pork trailer. I have gotten em with metals painted black too.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    How about buck tails?
    nice double header!
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Nothing beats a buck and pork trailer. I have gotten them with metals painted black too.

I am an atrocious bucktail fisherman. Have caught a couple bass on them. Zippo confidence in them. I did try them that night and after a few casts with different sizes I went on to another artificial.

I dont loose a lot of teasers to bluefish, especially at night, thinking they have caught me more blues at night than any other artificial.

I need to learn to get better with bucktails too. When they hit it hard I am ok with the aggressiveness but want to learn how to fish better when the fish are not hitting that hard. Any tips anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I am an atrocious bucktail fisherman. Have caught a couple bass on them. Zippo confidence in them. I did try them that night and after a few casts with different sizes I went on to another artificial.

I dont loose a lot of teasers to bluefish, especially at night, thinking they have caught me more blues at night than any other artificial.

Bucktails take some getting used to. A good tip is to carry a few sizes. I plug on the south shore a lot and weeds can be a big problem. For those times a bucktail that gets down deeper will help stay away from the weeds.

Thinking back most of my night time bluefish have come on a mag darter or teaser. Probably the last thing in my bag I would regularly use if I was targeting bluefish.

Try bouncing them off the bottom Monty just slight twitches of the wrist with a red pork rind and teaser.Go as light as possible sometimes they key in on a smaller bucktail over a larger one distance shouldn't really be a factor at night the fish are usually in tight especially on a beach with a deep drop off.The fluke like to hang there also,another method that sometimes gets them to strike is a slow drag across the bottom with the rod then retrieve the slack and repeat this also works with diamond jigs.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Nothing beats a buck and pork trailer. I have gotten em with metals painted black too.
    Exaxtly, keep it simple unless they're busting on top.
    X2 what surfstix said too, good advice on the technique.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Try bouncing them off the bottom Monty just slight twitches of the wrist with a red pork rind and teaser.Go as light as possible sometimes they key in on a smaller bucktail over a larger one distance shouldn't really be a factor at night the fish are usually in tight especially on a beach with a deep drop off.The fluke like to hang there also,another method that sometimes gets them to strike is a slow drag across the bottom with the rod then retrieve the slack and repeat this also works with diamond jigs.

Good and true advice. Sometimes you really have to tease them. Don't be afraid to throw a popper at night but with a different retrieve. Pop it and let it sit for a sec before reeling and repeating. If there are any bass in the area that's a great way to pick one up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    NY...... I may sneak out early tmw. before the crap hits the fan with the beach/bbq crew.
    Hope you got out.

I fished this morning from 2:00 - 8:00 ocean side.
    Picked up my first LI short bass on a 7" Loaded Red Fin at 3:00, missed another on next cast....
    Then between 4:00 and 7:00 I picked up 8 blues. Would not hit metal. White metal lip and orange popper.....and one tore to shreds Hogy started the Blues fun.
    Found some on Bunker, but only managed 1 in that melee.
    Great time.

This had to hurt
    Attachment 18344

This one was a lot of fun
    Attachment 18345
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015_5_26_BZ3.jpg   2015_5_26_Gator.jpg  

Fished yesterday morning from 1:30-10:00.
    Water looked great, had a fun time out there.
    Some how could only manage one blue fish the whole time.
    It may be a PB for me as catching a fish on a biggest plug (Mikes 8 1/4 Commander)
    Only saw one other guy fishing out there (in pick below)
    Water was a bit stained, cleaner 12-200 yards out.
    Bunker flipping here and there every once and a while.
    Had a great time, nice water, awesome weather....
    Next time out for me is Sunday early AM. Can't wait.

Attachment 18376

Attachment 18377
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014_5_28_Blue.jpg   2014_5_28_Fishing.jpg  

Nice fish...
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Some more pics piling up....
    Night surf bluefish....
    Attachment 18526
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6-4-14 night blues RB.jpg  

Attachment 18533

Attachment 18534

** Some of the things working lately for these fish:
    Black bomber,
    magdarter (bought a few of the old ones cheap before they became too pricey),
    and bottle plug or littleneck poppers.
    There are places where rubber and bucktails will work equally as well, but for the flats, I'm finding that for me, the above 3 styles have been productive choices lately.....

Some fish I've been getting at night....mostly blues to 7#,,,and one bass.
    The bass hooked in the back wasn't an accident....I also got a bluefish in the back like that....they were feeding on small bait....it seemed they kept missing it as the strikes were more reactionary than aggressive...

Most of my rear hooks have been changed to singles for ease of release and minimal injury.....
    Unfortunately that one bluefish hit so awkwardly he got stuck in the eye....I took some time to get that hook out, so hopefully he wasnt blinded.

Attachment 18529Attachment 18530
    Attachment 18531

Attachment 18532
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP5556.jpg   IMGP5555.jpg  

IMGP5568.jpg   IMGP5570.jpg  

IMGP5506.jpg   IMGP5507.jpg  

Awesome pics! I would never think you could get them with poppers at night. Thanks for sharing that.