Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for June 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Default NJ Fishing Reports for June 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

NJ fishing reports for June 2013. ..www.StripersandAnglers.com

NJ fishing reports for June 2013...www.stripersandanglers.com

**Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING. Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED.
    Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

**For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
    Out Front (Ocean) OR -- Out Back (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time.

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

1. If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:
    If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish there today?

2. If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
    More discussion on this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
    NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
    SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
    IBSP - Island Beach State Park
    LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
    CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
    CMC - Cape May County
    GEI - Great Egg Inlet
    TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
    BB - Barnegat Bay
    CB - Chesapeake Bay
    DB - Delaware Bay

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for June 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Storminsteve,
    you won the plug in the May 2013 random drawing!
    PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked!

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site!

6-1-13 Am

Fished before and after sunrise. Monty mini marathon, 6 hours.

Bluefish on plugs in the dark and metal after.
    Managed 28 bluefish to 7#.
    There was some good action, and long periods of inactivity at times. Back bay, lots of fun.

when out on a peir last night ...my buddy caught one fluke .....while he was cleaning it . I pulled out a needle and threw out ...a blue nailed it hard ....drag screaming ....about 5 min it took me to get it close to the pier ....only issue was I had a 7ft pole and 20 ft to the water and two huge pipes to go over ....this blue had to be in the 12 to 14lb range ....first try to pull it up over everthing ...failed ...not even close (I had 50lb braid)on ...I was waiting for the pole to snap .....second try line snapped ....tried another needle ...this time bent the barb down ....threw out ..another blue smashed it hard ...tried to let him unhook himself ...line broke .....tryied again ....this time I took the hook off and just threw the plug .....they were all over this plug ....blues were flying out of the water trying to get this thing
    I was going to take a video ...but it was to dark outside ...still fun watching them attack it

Awesome reports guys! Heard there are some gator blues around. madcaster at least your needlefish held up sad to see it snapped your line. Look forward to some more of those videos. I fished nomoco from 6-8 there were some blues. I picked up 7 with a diamond jig with green tail. It was strange because when you reeled them in they were bulldogging and not rising to the surface. Normally they are jumping all over the place. Could it be that the water is still too cold? The bay temps were 75 today what gives?

Yep the gators are here madcaster. busting tackle and leaders soon to be in your neighborhood. Wasn't that a great feeling to hear the drag scream?
    Last nite they wanted chunks. And to bite through my 80lb leaders. Not as many as the night before but still awesome. 9-2a

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    . It was strange because when you reeled them in they were bulldogging and not rising to the surface. Normally they are jumping all over the place. Could it be that the water is still too cold? The bay temps were 75 today what gives?

Could be that the ocean is colder and a lot of them have come in from there. I agree its strange I drove around the other day to look for spots to fish at night and could see some of them finning out there. who knows there only bluefish but they drive you crazy sometimes. For instance some times they and the bass want heads. Other times its chunks. Other times they only want tails.

water temps ....I was standing in the bay about up to my waste ...I could feel the water change in the levels ...my feet were cold but thighs not cold ....them I could feel the warmer water come in and feet be warm and thighs cold ....funny thing ...didn't catch any fish

couple days before I didn't feel that temp change and caught fish

Awesome story madcaster! Must be a sickening feeling when you are losing something that big and watch in slo-mo, though.
    I fished no mo co today early. Picked up 15 blues at the furthest end of the cast on metal. It was lke you guys are saying they were bulldogging on the way in. Strange.
    got real crowded and I left but not before I took pics of the circus. Every party boat in NJand NY was up that way. All for mostly smaller blues? What?

Quote Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
    water temps ....I was standing in the bay about up to my waste ...I could feel the water change in the levels ...my feet were cold but thighs not cold ....them I could feel the warmer water come in and feet be warm and thighs cold ....funny thing ...didn't catch any fish

couple days before I didn't feel that temp change and caught fish
    Once the weather warms up I'm a big fan of going commando (no waders). Last night/this morning the water is much colder and I felt huge swings in water temperatures. It's also that time of year when the bugs start to come out

I fished last night starting around midnight until 9am. We decided to change it up and chunk out front tonight and couldn't keep the sea robins, skates, and dogfish off the hook. I guess that's what happens when you have the freshest bloodiest slimiest baits around. Saw a few bass caught on plugs but nothing exciting considering the amount of guys out.

We didn't see one bluefish all night but that quickly changed when the sun came up...mini blitz of medium sized blues.

I switched over to fluke for a while but it was very slow due to the colder water = no keepers for me.

I think its about time to clean the chunking rods and put them away until next spring. Plugs/flies from here on out.

The year of Shark goes on....and I been waiting a while for it lol, two slobs tonight, one was my second largest ever, second one maybe was third, right after one another, I literally was huffing and puffing after second and desperately in the need of a gatoraide, one guy to my left one to my right and that was it, you just never know out there.

June 1st fishing from 1am to 9am. started on one spot in LBI but no fish. Met up with Joe and went down to another spot. Good water for the rest of the outgoing just not the " right species" dogfish after dogfish, skate and then more dogfish. Some big ones too. no bass or blues. after the sun came out and our hole became shallow with the low tide we headed south but nothing much was happening. Great night to be out. I spotted a small skate on the beach near a jetty. Upon checking it out I noticed there was a hook in his wing, attached to a 4oz pyramid sinker. Poor little guy was exhausted. I removed the hook and took it out to deeper water. He was very slow at getting back at it but finally managed to disappear in the wash. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big doggies.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	17138

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    Great night to be out. I spotted a small skate on the beach near a jetty. Upon checking it out I noticed there was a hook in his wing, attached to a 4oz pyramid sinker. Poor little guy was exhausted. I removed the hook and took it out to deeper water. He was very slow at getting back at it but finally managed to disappear in the wash.]
    Nice, always a good thing to help a fish or bird or anything stay alive

I fished this morning from 1:15-9:15.
    Lots of Blues for me in the 1-4 lb size, most on top water plugs (30+).
    Also caught a 30 inch Striper on a Big Don Metal Lip at 5:00.
    All fished released.
    Bumped into Dark and Pebbles and fished with them for a few hours .
    Always great seeing them and had a lot of fun with them and the bluefish action.
    Caught a few Blues on Madcaster's needle too
    Had a great time this morning, especially fishing with Dark and Pebbles.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

It was a great morning. I fished this morning from 5:30 to 10:00am. fished metals and it was bluefish until I cried for mercy. I couldn't reel anymore, left them biting fish were from 1 to 7 pounds, I lost a ten pounder in the surf. Seen 2 bass caught to 30 inches. The fluke fishermen were catching Searobins.

Bumped in to Dark, and Pebbles, and just missed Monty. Hi Pebbles it was nice Meeting you. It always a pleasure Meeting you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    Met up with Joe and went down to another spot. Good water for the rest of the outgoing just not the " right species" dogfish after dogfish, skate and then more dogfish. Some big ones too. no bass or blues.

after the sun came out and our hole became shallow with the low tide we headed south but nothing much was happening. Great night to be out. I spotted a small skate on the beach near a jetty. Upon checking it out I noticed there was a hook in his wing, attached to a 4oz pyramid sinker. Poor little guy was exhausted. I removed the hook and took it out to deeper water. He was very slow at getting back at it but finally managed to disappear in the wash. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big doggies.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	17138
    Rob, nice to hear you value all God's creatures out there....Although I agree they can be a PITA, particular the "endangered dog fish" which no longer seem to be endangered.....they are everywhere...

This is all part of fishing, and the real sportsmen out there, know that and just deal with it as part of the fishing, not beating up on a particular fish just because it stole bait intended for a bass....
    Almost had an incident this morning......guys threw back a 12lb bluefish, mad that it wasn't a bass......and by the time they got it back in the water it was floating...trouble breathing....

Why release a fish if you aren't concerned enough to do it the right way?.....thankfully Pebbles and Vpass diplomatically intervened in the situation before I created some new folks who won't like me on Facebook..... ...and spent a short 1 1/2 minutes holding the fish in the water till it got breathing right again.....
    But that's not for here...I'll post the details in the
    C&R contest thread.....

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ps-and-CONTEST!

As for Joe, consider yourself lucky he took you under his wing....he has caught several large fish this year that he never bragged or thumped his chest about......just an old salt, doing what he loves.....and a good friend....

^ I think ya had a lot more than 30, Monty....You must have had over 10 in the short time we were fishin with ya.....

(That's because Monty fishes every square inch of surf......leaving no grains of sand unturned in his quest for excitement, fish, and white water... ) Pebbles and I could see him working the surf, coming toward us, from a 1/2 mile away....I knew from the continued rapid fire casting as you walked the beach, that it was you.......

Pebbles and I had a blast catching those blues....some slightly larger than 10#, bigger than they have been. We didn't do as well as you site sharpies....but combined for a total of 21......

The great thing about the action is it's the first time this year, that I have seen real aggressive topwater action like that.....
    *The blues tore the hell out of Surfstix' Popper.... (which made her sad, she wants me to ask Surfstix to paint it again....custom pink popper he made for her got bashed to pieces... )
    **Also hit aggressively on the Madcaster needle with bucktail siwash......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3734 cropped.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	17395

I didn't think to bring more poppers this trip.
    As for me, it just has not happened with that topwater action, save for a few isolated dawn incidences.......the water temps jumping up and different size blues now here may have ramped up that action a bit......

Had a great time sharing stories and busting each other.

Pebbles got real bummed when I forced her to temporarily switch out her Finchaser rod with a longer one saying "it would not be the same, there is nothing like a Finchaser rod" (her exact words)...but in this AM rough wind we needed longer rods for distance....

Once she got into the groove of casting longer distances...she did pretty well on her own.....no help from me needed.
    I even made her unhook a few of her own fish....Gotta love a girl who can do that....

Name:	IMGP3732.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	17393

Name:	IMGP3756.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	17394

For us...the bigger blues seemed concentrated around sunrise....smaller ones with an occasional larger one thrown in, later on.
    In all it was a blast....good times, good people...and hilarious ball busting.....
    Even Pebbles joined in to make fun of me about always watching birds, geese, and swans.....
    thanks for that, guys.....all good....

I rarely enjoy fishing with anyone other than myself lately...but some good times were had today.,....wish the OGB could have been out there with us....
    And thanks for the laughs and your company, all...

Wow I zigged and should have zagged! Fished somoco today, got into some blues. Needed heavy metal in the winds. The winds were cold and steady 25 miles per hour by the way. The only reason I stayed because I was fishing a few beaches and found one place where there were blue fish. Fish were 2-5lbs. You guys did great!

We got the goose egg last night. You win some and lose some. Nice reports fellas.

Way to go gents.

I hate missing a good top water bite.

Good job guys and gal.

I went crabbing with my brother and my mom to fill some old bay cravings we were all having.

We got 2.5 dozen in about three hours; a little slow but it's expected this early in the season.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	17142

I also got a nice soft shelled crab which is rare by my experience for this time of year.

Views:	2 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	17141

In other news I may have stumbled into the best eel trapping waters in the state. As I was wading through the flats disturbing patches of seaweed to flush out crabs I was scaring off a ton of eels. The big ones are fast but the small ones stayed in the seaweed when I was scooping up crabs.

Views:	2 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	17140

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast