Thread: Does lights scare stripers away Fact or fiction ???

Default Does lights scare stripers away Fact or fiction ???

I’ve heard that just shinning your head lights or head lamp into the surf or any king of light from the beach will send the stripers running …Is this fact or fiction.
    How do you know if it does ?

From what I have read bright light flashes do bother their eyes. They have very sensitive eyes. It takes a while for their eyes to get used to changes in light. I know bass hang around bridges with lights but, they hang out in the dark area of the water without the light but the bridge lights also bother the eyes of baitfish and when a baitfish gets disoriented by the lights the bass come out of the shadows and ambush. I have also learned that you hear about a nice bass bight off the beach right around dawn and dusk and then when either the sun comes up or even when iy goes down it can take a bass a couple of hours to get adjusted to the the light changes. Anyone else want to either add to or correct me please feel free to elaborate.

madcaster, rip made some valid points. Bass have light receptors in their eyes that take time to get used to variations in lighting.
    For example, when you are fishing the beach near sunset, the bite will occasionally slow down at dark, and then pick up again an hour or 2 later. So a sudden increase or decrease in light can startle or affect them.
    As for lighting in general, we do quite well in the boat at night fishing the shadow lines in bridge areas. Big fish often sit in these darker areas just outside the lighted line on the water as they await small prey to ambush. In that situation, the light is constant and less likely to spook them. Hope that answered part of your question.

Quote Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
    How do you know if it does ?
    You can try a simple test by going to places where fish are feeding at night, like the back bays, marinas, inlets, and the mouths of some of the creeks when there is a lot of bait around. If you are good at stealthily moving around, you can sometimes sneak up on bass when they are feeding on grass shrimp, spearing, or small baitfish. You will hear them slurping the bait as they rise to the surface. Notice how close to the edge they are when they are doing this.

A lot of guys go in with waders at night, and when the fish are feeding they can be literally right at your feet. If the area is comprised of flats and shallow water, true, they will be further out. Fish prowl the shoreline within a few feet to find prey in hiding. So you should be aware of that. As others mentioned, a bright lite constantly on is not enough to spook them. Baitfish are drawn to the light, and big fish in turn are drawn to the baitfish. The flashing on and off of a bright light, when they are feeding in close, is enough to spook them, though. And when you are wading and baitfish are in close, be very careful. I usually cast out very close to shore before I even consider wading in. There is nothing like the feeling of loss when you are wading out and spook a bass over 20lbs. Looking back, you should have presented to that bass even before you set foot in the water.

Looks like Green light will attract them. Anyone know if this is illegal in NJ?

Why Are Green Lights Good for Fishing Lights

fish image by Earl Robbins from Fotolia.com

Why Are Green Lights Good for Fishing Lights?

Overview

Many anglers who enjoy night fishing employ a technique that is known to attract game fish. A submersible lamp that emits green light is placed in the water over the side of a boat or near a dock or other structure. In time, plankton, then bait fish, then game fish become attracted to the light. The angler can then target those game fish, casting lures or bait and fishing by sight.
    Characteristics

"Gulf Coast Fisherman" indicates that green light actually travels farther through water than other wavelengths of light, including white light, thus significantly increasing the likelihood of fish seeing it. Also, green light more closely resembles the bioluminescent light that many aquatic creatures emit, making it appear more natural in the environment.
    Portable 12V Fish Light NEW! Deep Glow's 12 volt LED Bright & Durable, Float or Sink www.deepglow.com
    Sponsored Links

Biological Influences

Light is essential to the proper functioning and activity of the food chain in any aquatic environment. Plankton, the smallest creatures in the food chain, are especially active during daylight hours, and bait fish feed on plankton. This feeding activity stimulates larger game fish to feed, and this chain of behavior is what anglers exploit to catch fish. As sunlight diminishes, plankton activity also diminishes, but introducing light into the water can cause plankton to become active again, thus stimulates the entire food chain.
    Visual Value

Green light in particular stimulates planktonic activity. Anyone who has ever seen moths and mosquitoes swarming around a light bulb knows that light attracts bugs, and the microscopic type that live in water are no exception. Green light also does not scare fish away. According to ESPN Bassmaster, experiments conducted while bringing swordfish into a boat at night indicate that the fish will turn and run when exposed to white light but not green light. Added light also helps improve the ability of the angler to see, making it easier to present bait in the most effective manner.
    Physical Attraction

When a singular light source is introduced into an aquatic environment, plankton are attracted to it from all directions. This artificially concentrates the food source for bait fish, which are then attracted to the plankton, also from all directions. The "bait ball" that forms within the area of light, in turn, attracts game fish. Because green light does not bother game fish the way white light does, they are more inclined to enter into range of the angler's cast, making them easier to target and catch.
    Restrictions

The use of green lights for fishing is so effective that it is banned in some areas. For instance, "Gulf Coast Fisherman" states that in Wyoming, many fishermen have been using submersible green lights to attract salmon. Apparently, they were catching them in such large numbers that the Wyoming state government was motivated to prohibit any man-made lighted device used for the sole purpose of attracting or catching fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
    Looks like Green light will attract them. Anyone know if this is illegal in NJ?

When a singular light source is introduced into an aquatic environment, plankton are attracted to it from all directions. This artificially concentrates the food source for bait fish, which are then attracted to the plankton, also from all directions. The "bait ball" that forms within the area of light, in turn, attracts game fish. Because green light does not bother game fish the way white light does, they are more inclined to enter into range of the angler's cast, making them easier to target and catch.
    Restrictions
    What Pebbles said, light that is continous or even that comes on for a few hours, like restaurant or beach club lighting near the water, will attract baitfish. The bigger fish sit in the shadows and pick them off. Wading in the surf is different, though. A lot of times I see guys at the Hook wading out far. If it is a sandbar, sure you have to wade out, or cast over the bar. If you have deep water close to your feet, you should first cast and work that water, You never know a large cow could be feeding 20 feet away from you if there is bait in close. In those situations I would not shine a light on the water and only try too use a red or green led, I think they are less noticable to the fish.
    Also, if you fish the surf a lot at night, you will notice some of the more experienced guys will walk away from the water and turn with their back to the surf if they have to change a plug or unhook a fish. This is good fishing etiquette. When fishing in close proximity to others you don't want them to think you are an idiot and scaring the fish away.

X2 what skinner said. I can't stand the guys who come out with the lighthouse lights on the water. I was fishing IBSP one night and there were these 5 guys, they had 2 of those million candle power lights and they shone in on the water as they brought each fish in, bait fishing with clams and catching 8lb bass, and they needed 2 freaking monster spotlights to see what they were doing?
    Don't do that madcaster, don't be those guys.
    And use a red or green led whenever you can. If the moon is full you don't need a light at all some nights, stealth fishing. That way no one sees when you are into a nice fish.

Default Re: Does lights scare stripers away Fact or fiction ???

i think the biggest thing that throws fish off is movement in an area where they are feeding at night. I have seen guys wading in too far and all of a sudden a fish splashes because they spooked it.

This topic allways goes in so may direction ....I always hear that a flash of light into the surf will scary bass away ...how true I don't know
    I would love to test it one day

Quote Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
    This topic allways goes in so may direction ....I always hear that a flash of light into the surf will scary bass away ...how true I don't know
    I would love to test it one day
    Quote Originally Posted by clamchucker View Post
    You can try a simple test by going to places where fish are feeding at night, like the back bays, marinas, inlets, and the mouths of some of the creeks when there is a lot of bait around. If you are good at stealthily moving around, you can sometimes sneak up on bass when they are feeding on grass shrimp, spearing, or small baitfish. You will hear them slurping the bait as they rise to the surface. Notice how close to the edge they are when they are doing this.

A lot of guys go in with waders at night, and when the fish are feeding they can be literally right at your feet. If the area is comprised of flats and shallow water, true, they will be further out. Fish prowl the shoreline within a few feet to find prey in hiding. So you should be aware of that. As others mentioned, a bright lite constantly on is not enough to spook them. Baitfish are drawn to the light, and big fish in turn are drawn to the baitfish. The flashing on and off of a bright light, when they are feeding in close, is enough to spook them, though. And when you are wading and baitfish are in close, be very careful. I usually cast out very close to shore before I even consider wading in. There is nothing like the feeling of loss when you are wading out and spook a bass over 20lbs. Looking back, you should have presented to that bass even before you set foot in the water.

Excellent advise. I think if they are feeding heavily on the bait it doesn't matter. When they are slurping here and there with the grass shrimp you could definitely spook them away. I am all for fishing lighted areas because that light is what draws the smaller things in to feed. Clamchucker and some others made some good points about the way and the frequency the light shines on the water.