Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for June 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for June 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

I just saw this and would like to ask you a question too. If you threw something that was 2 oz or 2 1/2 oz could you break the rod with it. I know the answer is probably yes but was wondering what basshunter said how much bigger could you throw without chances of breaking the rod. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    I just saw this and would like to ask you a question too. If you threw something that was 2 oz or 2 1/2 oz could you break the rod with it. I know the answer is probably yes but was wondering what basshunter said how much bigger could you throw without chances of breaking the rod. Thank you
    I wouldn't go over 2 oz. The next time out with the rod i'll try it an report back.

Nice getting in action in front of the weather. Heading out in a bit hope it's not too late.

Fished a cm beach from sunrise to 7am. Was fishing bait in the dark and got 5 hard fighting dogfish. Then when it got light I was tossing a small bucktail tipped with gulp around some rocks and got a 19" weakfish, released.

Quote Originally Posted by surferman View Post
    Fished a cm beach from sunrise to 7am. Was fishing bait in the dark and got 5 hard fighting dogfish. Then when it got light I was tossing a small bucktail tipped with gulp around some rocks and got a 19" weakfish, released.
    Nice action and catch of the Weakfish.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

went out last night to a popular jetty. The tide was coming in. The current was ripping. I tried chunking from the jetty just to see. 6oz mine as well put a floater on- just went with the tins and swimmers. Nothing happening. Left the jetty went to the bay. Again, current ripping. Nothing but weeds. Left there and started to head to another spot out front but the rain kicked in and we called it a night. Lots of exercise is all we got!

Quote Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
    I wonder if I could ask you about this rod vpass. If it says 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz would you only throw 1 1/2 as the max or would you feel comfortable throwing something bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    The knuckle head popper was the heaviest lure I casted last night, and it handle it with no problem. I'm not sure of the weight, I think the weight is around 1 1/2 oz. It would make a great schoolie rod.

The jig head I was casting weight about 5/8 oz and could believe how far I casted it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    I wouldn't go over 2 oz. The next time out with the rod i'll try it an report back.
    I have owned the exact rod for a while now as well as the heavier rated version (...lets say that mine are most likely outside the five year warranty period already).

Its a great schoolie rod as Vpass mentioned and it really excels with the light stuff. Throw on a 4000 sized reel with 20lb braid and its a casting beast for lures in the .5oz - 1oz range. Its also a great rod for fluke fishing as well and my goto surf fluking rod. I regularly cast 2-3oz plus a clam in the spring or a gulp rig in the summer. 3oz is really pushing it and its just a soft lob but thats okay as I don't need distance. The key with the heavier weights is to start winding up slow and finish fast. I wouldn't recommend going over 1.5oz unless you are highly confident in your casting ability. I have caught bass up to 20lbs on this rod in the back bay with no problems.

I will say that since they are steelhead rods they have a lot of give (they were built with this intention) and I feel at times can lack the backbone to set the hook into the jaw of a bigger bass.

Vpass, I know yesterday was the first day with the rod but don't be afraid to tighten that drag a little more and really drive those hooks home on the hookset.

Now for the heavier version of the rod - I don't like it that much, I find it to be too stiff but my brother loves it but he likes fishing heavier lures while I prefer the lighter stuff. The only thing I like this rod for is snagging bunker but I have a friend who swears by it and throws stuff as light as 1/4 oz.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently got my hands on a St. Croix 8' surf avid and I am in love with it for light to moderate sized plugs. It handles the light sub 1oz stuff incredibly well yet launches a 2-3oz metal out of sight. I really wish St. Croix made the same rod in a 9ft model.

With all the talk about light plugging rods I should also mention the two older standbys that will forever be the "bomber" rods of NJ IMO: Lami Ron Arra 1083 and GSB1081L

Very informative gents thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    went out last night to a popular jetty. The tide was coming in. The current was ripping. I tried chunking from the jetty just to see. 6oz mine as well put a floater on- just went with the tins and swimmers. Nothing happening. Left the jetty went to the bay. Again, current ripping. Nothing but weeds. Left there and started to head to another spot out front but the rain kicked in and we called it a night. Lots of exercise is all we got!
    I don't know what area of you fish Rob but some times the Hook is like that. Lots of exercise no fish. When they come through and you are there it makes it all finally worth it!

Nice reports guys I was out last night from 8-12 in the rain. caught the skunk and it seemed the bay got a little colder. I checked the temp site today and it says it went down from 72 to 64 an 8 degree drop in 2 days

Quote Originally Posted by surferman View Post
    Nice going surferman. Good deal on the release there are not too many larger weakfish around.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    I don't know what area of you fish Rob but some times the Hook is like that. Lots of exercise no fish. When they come through and you are there it makes it all finally worth it!
    you sure you just aren't walking through a certain beach area instead of fishing????? LOL! I fish LBI mostly

Fished somoco from 5-7 bad water big surf hooh hah say hello to the skunk.

It was a perfect overcast morning. Went to Nomoco there was hardly anyone there. Threw metal for an hour no takers.

Thanks for the info about the st croix guys very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    Nice reports guys I was out last night from 8-12 in the rain. caught the skunk and it seemed the bay got a little colder. I checked the temp site today and it says it went down from 72 to 64 an 8 degree drop in 2 days

I noticed you post a lot of the temp reports. Thanks for that dude it is helpful. Sucks when the water temperatures go down tho cause you know the bite will suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post

Hey dude at least it keeps us in shape right?

I hope it clears up by tomorrow.

I hope it clears up by tomorrow.
    Me too, I really want to go fluking in the bay.

So last week my mom invited close family friends from Philadelphia to join us for dinner and she promised them fresh caught crabs if they made the drive up. They really love blue crabs and they usually drive up to Maryland twice a year to eat them so the pressure was on.

So I wake up this morning and I'm really dragging myself to get out of bed. Conditions couldn't possibly be worse for crabbing. I swore it was going to be a very slow pick with the colder temperatures and stained water from the heavy overnight rains. however, the alternatives didn't look much better...we could try facing the stained water in the bay along with the stiff winds they forecasted or the heavy swells in the surf and after all my mom did promise them some fresh crabs.

My brother and I decided to go ahead and try to catch a few crabs. We arrive at our favorite spot and my suspicions were correct...cold and heavily stained water from the runoff. We decided to give it a try any way and its a good thing we did.

It started off slow but we made some adjustments and then we each had a hard time keeping our nets empty. Lots of doubles today and at times I didn't even have a chance to empty my net. I sometimes had 3-5 crabs in the net at once.

We Ended up with 99 keepers total.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	17180

A few colossal+ sized crabs mixed in as we'll.

Views:	1 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	17181

This 7 1/2" crab makes my freakishly big hands look normal.

Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	17182

Old bay

Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	17183

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast