Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Googan Moment

Default A Googan Moment

Well I kinda blame Dark for this (or his aura).

I had been fishing for 5 or so hours, no problems, into small blues, had caught one bass, everything was fine.
    Then I miss a swirl at a top water plug, miss another.
    I see Dark and Pebbles a 100 or so yards away and start walking over and casting and missed a few more fish.
    I get over by them and exchange pleasantries and I am not sure if Dark or me noticed I had no tail hook on the plug.
    I carry spares so quickly slap one on.
    I start to walk away to fish and Dark grabs my shoulder and then the plug and he removes the hook protector from the hook I was about to start fishing with.

Just seems like a heck of a coincidence that I was fine, Googan event free until I was in Dark's presence.

Seriously, thanks Dark for noticing the protector on the hook as missing those other hits was beginning to give me a complex.

Was pretty funny
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Default Re: A Googan Moment

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Quick question - did you see his aura or can you smell it as well? Have read stories here about him sleeping in a porto potty so I am searching for answers.
    Don't feel bad about the hook protectors monty. I did that one time in a bluefish blitz. I was with an associate I was trying to impress and maybe get some more business from. He had caught 5 fish in 5 casts. I kept missing the hookups on a new plug that I purchased that day. It turns out it had hook protectors I did not remove and I felt like such a doltz! No worries we all screw up now and again. Welcome to the club.

Dont hang with dark he has bad juju. Staying away will greatly improve your odds of catching.
    He used to carry a googan bucket. Once he ate a sand wich that had clam juice on it and got the runs. He fished with us and we hasseled him all night about it he had to make many pit stops in the woods. I have one good story to tell. There was one night when bunker filled a certain harbor. We were all snagging and loading up for the next few nights of fishing. I had trouble snagging my hooks were rusty. He harassed me about it, was relentless. The next time he saw us me and this other guy he used to fish with a lot each got a 10 pack of weighted trebles from him. He said he didn't want to hear our googan whining any more. and he is the biggest googan of all. but a good dude. At least you got some fish today monty I read your report sounded like a lot of fun. We got the goose egg last night. You win some and lose some.

It's dark he shuts down the bite every time he hunts me down. it had to be him couldn't be you

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    He said he didn't want to hear our googan whining any more. and he is the biggest googan of all. but a good dude. .
    Well I'll do my best each year to give him a run for that Googan Award
    Agree, every time I bump into Dark out there I have a great time, fishing, talking fishing and a bunch of laughs.
    He set me up with a Souped-up Mag-Darter today

we used to remove the hook from our striper swipers after we were wore out catching them during blues blitzes.

it's a rush to have them hit it over and over again, without the requisite fight. sometimes they hold on for quite a while.

ha ha alot of laughs if there are other fishermen around that aren't in on the secret.

"dang lost another one!"

"lol! dang jon what's up with you today? oh crap now i missed one! you're rubbing off on me!"

the looks from the other guys are priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    It's dark he shuts down the bite every time he hunts me down. it had to be him couldn't be you
    from the reports thread I noticed that this year....its like perfect timing, gotta love it

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    we used to remove the hook from our striper swipers after we were wore out catching them during blues blitzes.

it's a rush to have them hit it over and over again, without the requisite fight. sometimes they hold on for quite a while.

ha ha alot of laughs if there are other fishermen around that aren't in on the secret.

"dang lost another one!"

"lol! dang jon what's up with you today? oh crap now i missed one! you're rubbing off on me!"

Aah, someone who is old school and remembers the striper swipers and how good they used to be. I think there is a little googan in all of us, like the caot morgan rum commercial

Nothing wrong with being a googan to me it means you are human and can make mistakes. The stupidest thing I did when starting was to set the hook as soon as I felt a tap. A lot of times I was pulling the plug right out of the fish's mouth. have since learned not to be so trigger happy unless it's late fall and the fish are not that active then I try to hit it quick.

Quote Originally Posted by albiealert View Post
    The stupidest thing I did when starting was to set the hook as soon as I felt a tap.
    there is a dam about a mile from my house, on the Cape Fear river. lots of guys go catfishing there, some off the bank. i've seen 50 pounders hauled in there.

i like to carp fish there - never got into catfish.

anywho, i always use a circle hook when dunking bait. the catfish guys always slam the hookset as soon as they feel a tap.

i've got my carp rig in a sand spike, with the drag set to zero. when the carp go zinging away with the bait, i saunter over to the rod, deliberately tighten up on the drag (never needing to set the hook,) and voila the carp is always perfectly hooked in the lip.

it's great to watch the faces of the cat guys while i'm lollygagging over to my bucking bronco, line burning off rod. sometimes i whistle a little tune on the way over, or roll my eyes cuz i gotta get out of my chair.

they must think i'm some kind of nut, or on 'ludes or something lol.

it's great being a local.

Just seems like a heck of a coincidence that I was fine, Googan event free until I was in Dark's presence.
    Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    Quick question - did you see his aura or can you smell it as well? Have read stories here about him sleeping in a porto potty so I am searching for answers.
    Dont hang with dark he has bad juju. Staying away will greatly improve your odds of catching.
    He used to carry a googan bucket.
    Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Eff ya's all......
    Thanks for the laughs.....all good.....

Well I'll do my best each year to give him a run for that Googan Award
    You are destined to win that award this year, Monty.....
    I already went to an engraver and had your name engraved on a plaque....presentation slated for end of 2013....
    Unless a new member comes up with some spectacular stories of their own goof ups......you're in the lead......

Quote Originally Posted by albiealert View Post
    Nothing wrong with being a googan to me it means you are human and can make mistakes..
    Very well-said, Albie....

there is a dam about a mile from my house, on the Cape Fear river. lots of guys go catfishing there, some off the bank. i've seen 50 pounders hauled in there.

i like to carp fish there - never got into catfish.

anywho, i always use a circle hook when dunking bait. the catfish guys always slam the hookset as soon as they feel a tap.

i've got my carp rig in a sand spike, with the drag set to zero. when the carp go zinging away with the bait, i saunter over to the rod, deliberately tighten up on the drag (never needing to set the hook,) and voila the carp is always perfectly hooked in the lip.

it's great to watch the faces of the cat guys while i'm lollygagging over to my bucking bronco, line burning off rod. sometimes i whistle a little tune on the way over, or roll my eyes cuz i gotta get out of my chair.

they must think i'm some kind of nut, or on 'ludes or something lol.

it's great being a local.
    I can imagine you doing just that, Jon....you love to stir the pot and make folks scratch their heads....

Well Monty you can have the googan of the year kudos. I am winning the dead things trophy!

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Well Monty you can have the googan of the year kudos. I am winning the dead things trophy!
    I don't think you should count your roosters before they hatch....
    Have you checked the Dead Thread lately?
    My dead goose (feet up in air, found on the beach) I think trumps your parking lot deer.
    As for quantity this year...I be bumping into lots of dead things lately.

As for Googan of the year, .....but can never count out Dark....never.....

He used to carry a googan bucket. Once he ate a sand wich that had clam juice on it and got the runs. He fished with us and we hasseled him all night about it he had to make many pit stops in the woods. I have one good story to tell. There was one night when bunker filled a certain harbor. We were all snagging and loading up for the next few nights of fishing. I had trouble snagging my hooks were rusty. He harassed me about it, was relentless. The next time he saw us me and this other guy he used to fish with a lot each got a 10 pack of weighted trebles from him. He said he didn't want to hear our googan whining any more. and he is the biggest googan of all. but a good dude..
    haha so true and i wuz the other dude he gave the trebles to thanks for that dark u are still googin cuz u dont hang wit us anymore come down some night and well throw bait at u!

monty dont feel bad we r all googans i hate the dudes who sit on the websites and point fingers at evryone else like they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. we r all fishing brothers except them meatmen dudes lol

"dang lost another one!"

Great trick thanks for sharing it!

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Aah, someone who is old school and remembers the striper swipers and how good they used to be. I think there is a little googan in all of us, like the caot morgan rum commercial
    Bet this guy felt like a googan big time!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-steve-1711078My fishing blip: Angler needs 12 stitches after hooking HIMSELF in the mouth

He yanked his rod a couple of times to free the line before the bulbous object suddenly flew 50 feet through the air and struck him in the face

BNPS

This is the incredible moment an angler had a miracle escape when his fishing weight flew back at him 'like a bullet' and lodged in the side of his face.
    Steve Redhead, 51, was hoping to land some carp fish but became the catch himself after his lead weight snagged on overhanging branches.
    He yanked his rod a couple of times to free the line before the bulbous object suddenly flew 50 feet through the air and struck him in the face.
    Steve dropped to his knees and thought the object had just grazed him at first until fishing friend Matt Barnes told him it was embedded in his right cheek.
    An ambulance was called and Steve, from Weymouth, Dorset, was rushed to hospital to have the 50 gram weight removed.
    Luckily, the weight didn't break his cheek bone or jaw or damage any nerves.
    Steve, who jet-washes wheelie bins for a living, was told the item could easily have killed him had it hit him in an eye, throat or gone through his mouth.
    Ouch: Steve with the weight in his lip
    BNPS
    He said: "I had been fishing for about three quarters of an hour but hadn't caught anything.
    "We were fishing quite close to a tree because we knew carp hide out there in the winter months.
    "My line got snagged in some of the branches so I tried a couple of gentle tugs.
    "When that didn't work I lost my patience a little bit and gave it a massive yank.
    "Then I just remember catching a quick glimpse of the weight coming straight at me like a bullet at the very last second and then thinking it hurt a little bit.
    "I dropped to my knees and thought it had just grazed my face.
    "When I first touched it I thought it was just swollen before I realised it was the weight and it was now stuck in my face.
    "Even though there was a bit of blood it didn't actually hurt that much. It hurt more when I was given the local anaesthetic later in hospital.
    "I packed up my fishing gear and the bailiff at the lake called an ambulance.
    "I'm very lucky. It could have killed me. Had it gone through my mouth it would have probably gone straight through and out the back of my head.

I remember a few years ago a guy got killed by a weight in a similar accident.
    I would think that would hurt a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Bet this guy felt like a googan big time!
    This is the incredible moment an angler had a miracle escape when his fishing weight flew back at him 'like a bullet' and lodged in the side of his face.
    Steve Redhead, 51, was hoping to land some carp fish but became the catch himself after his lead weight snagged on overhanging branches.

Steve dropped to his knees and thought the object had just grazed him at first until fishing friend Matt Barnes told him it was embedded in his right cheek.
    An ambulance was called and Steve, from Weymouth, Dorset, was rushed to hospital to have the 50 gram weight removed.
    Luckily, the weight didn't break his cheek bone or jaw or damage any nerves.
    Steve, who jet-washes wheelie bins for a living, was told the item could easily have killed him had it hit him in an eye, throat or gone through his mouth.

"I'm very lucky. It could have killed me. Had it gone through my mouth it would have probably gone straight through and out the back of my head.

^ Maybe just a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast