Thread: Following the Night Tides......Do You have What it Takes?

Hybrid View

Default Re: Following the Night Tides......Do You have What it Takes?

Enjoying it so far ds.

I mention the above to make us all aware of the fact that no one is perfect....
    We try our best to be prepared, and think of all these things....
    But when big fish come calling....they frequently take you by surprise.....big fish are solitary by nature....and you never know when you may get the chance to see one or feel one at the end of your line.......

So like the Boy Scout motto...
    Be prepared.......

The Committment to be out there...when the fish are there......

In my experience, the night bite, is very different from many other bites.....it is a study unto itself....
    I was trying to explain to some newer guys I met the other night......that if you want to be successful, you have to know the tide.....
    You can't learn it in an hour....or expect to catch fish with only a one hour committment.....unless you are concentrating on dawn and dusk.....

The biggest fish I have found while fishing, other than the bunker blitzes, are ones that I found deep in the night...
    and usually when I was least expecting one....half asleep from the lack of action....until your arm gets the jolt of a solid hit on your plug.....a real solid hit....and after you manage to set that hook hard, you feel the fish start to fight, the drag starts to sing....zinnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg..............to me there is more adrenalin in that moment than drinking a whole pot of coffee....

As to the Committment....I have tried to help hundreds of folks over the years....some of them get it....they know the feeding opportunities are limited.....there will be one window per nght if you are lucky...if you find more than one....you have hit the jackpot......

The standard complaint of today's harried angler (family...job, social obligations, etc, etc) is "I fish when I can"
    That's a great path to follow, if it is the only path that gets you out there., and you are able to get some relaxation from it....all good....

However, the fish feed when they do.....the fish wait for no one....and the tides...wait for no one....
    So if you are ready to take it to the next level, you have to understand that clearly......and learn to make more of a committment...to be there when the fish decide to feed......

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    However, the fish feed when they do.....the fish wait for no one....and the tides...wait for no one....
    So if you are ready to take it to the next level, you have to understand that clearly......and learn to make more of a committment...to be there when the fish decide to feed......

Amen,dude. When its on its on and when dead is like a funeral.

"Why is that Committment necessary?
    Can't I just get that info from Facebook?---there is a cool new surfcaster group I joined....they are catchng large all the time, if you believe the pics they are posting.....why I can't just go to the beach, and shadow them? Why do I need to learn all this extra stuff? It just seems too frivolous to me....too obsessive!"

This is an earlier thread I did....
    "How Hard are you willing to Work, to Learn?"
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...-work-to-learn
    Good reading for the newer members here.....

You need to learn these things, and fish a whole tide at a time.....so you will understand how a bite develops, how and why it sustains itself, and how and why it shuts down...and what you can do at that point.....you can't learn this on facebook, an internet seminar, or even here, for that matter...the only way to learn...is to go out there....put in the time....and see for yourself.......

Usually, when a bite dies....it is about the food lessening, or stage of tide lessening...or some factor that you are possibly not aware of....but you have to train yourself to "see" when this happens, and when it wanes.......

"What are the Benefits, besides me investing a sh*tload of my time, with no guarantees?"

My answer to that is that there are no guarantees in life....

When you asked that beautiful girl to become your wife, there were no guarantees that she would say "Yes!"
    When you went for that promotion at work, there were no guarantees you would get it.
    When you climbed that mountain ridge to scout for signs of that trophy deer, bull elk, etc...there are no guarantees that you would find the trail....
    When you tried that new path in life, unsure of every step, there were no guarantees it would work out either....

You need to learn these things, and fish a whole tide at a time.....so you will understand how a bite develops, how and why it sustains itself, and how and why it shuts down...and what you can do at that point.....you can't learn this on facebook, an internet seminar, or even here, for that matter...the only way to learn...is to go out there....put in the time....and see for yourself.......

Usually, when a bite dies....it is about the food lessening, or stage of tide lessening...or some factor that you are possibly not aware of....but you have to train yourself to "see" when this happens, and when it wanes.......

Bored at work today. Would definitely be interested in hearing about more of this. Thanks for the thread, dark

I hope you put in a post or two about sitting on a white bucket. That can work out when there are bunker in the area and you sit tight for the whole tide. Have gotten bass up to 38# this way in the spring when they pass by.

^Ledhead, there's nothing wrong with sitting on a white bucket...you, me, and the guys know I did that for many years.......and I always managed to find a source of bait when you ran out for the night....

I have a few friends like you who consistently catch large by tossing bait at night and waitiing...one such friend gets bass in the 30-40# class every year by tossing bunker heads during the right time and tide.....
    He knows all too well the importance of following the night tides.....

he has it down to a science and knows what week, to be in which location....we have discussions about fish migration and fishing all the time.....every year he correctly predicts when bunker will enter the bay in numbers...and he can see fish underneath when it looks like there is no activity above.....

He has been getting fish to the high teens in the ocean in the last 2 months on bunker heads...but the other night he called, grumbling that this is his worst year in a long time....
    Also, a bunch of his fishing friends just went to Montauk, and did poorly in the surf....June has always been the traditional month when bass turn the corner at the Point...While the boats are doing OK...many have not noticed that their "split trips" are a relatively new phenomenon because you can no longer catch bass all day at Montauk...even in a boat...if that doesn't say the numbers are down., I don't know what does.....

There is another thread here that talks about the decline of fish in Montauk....
    or you could just do an internet search for
    "Why are there no fish in Montauk right now?"
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...tauk-right-now

Despite all the internet cheerleading by folks who say they are having a relatively good year for striped bass....I'm not.,...have to travel further and longer trips to still find bass...and am not finding the numbers I usually run into.....he told me his trips are 8 hours or more at night,,,,,all for one 16-20# bass.

He claims this is his worst year in decades....
    I would have to agree with him...those are my sentiments as well...

I wonder where this year stands for you..relative to your past years of success?

"The biggest sense of achievement is not when everyone else is catching fish in a blitz..it's when you catch one or two, on a night when it seems they are not around...."

It's a real sense of accomplishment to find one,
    when others think there are none.....

The other part of the Equation here, is the Failure part....
    There will be times when you are out there....and no matter what you can't find a fish....Even more depressing than hooking that one fish and losing it....is the work you put in.....a full night of fishing, 3-7 hours, and you just can't buy a hit, anywhere.....

To me, that is the most depressing....but if you really love fishing, it's not a total loss....
    1. It can be an opportunity to look at what you did during the night....and ask why the fish were not there..
    2. It can be another opportunity to look at bait patterns, and ask yourself if there are likely to be fish in another area where there is more bait around.
    3. It can be another opportunity to look at your log and see what temperatures the fish have been most active at....what patterns are you seeing?

**Remember.....if there are tons of bait in an inlet or back bay area, and the water temps are consistently holding in the high 70's....there is a lesser likelihood of you catching bass until those temperatures moderate downwards a bit....

If there is an algae bloom in the back bays, fire in the water,or other adverse conditions....these all will affect the bite, and where the fish will be sitting and moving through....these are all factors to think about, on nights when you can't find activity....