Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Following the Night Tides......Do You have What it Takes?

Hybrid View

Default Following the Night Tides......Do You have What it Takes?

Copyright DarkSkies 2013

There is a book called "Night Tides" the Striper Fishing Legend of Billy the Greek.....
    It talks about the fish he caught during the night tides....

This thread will be about following the night tides, especially when there is a bite in your area......

Default Re: Following the Night Tides......

Many people will say:
    "Fish move, no need to chase reports"
    Very true,,,,,but you can chase or follow the tides.....if you have paid attention......

In my experience, other than the absence of presence of bait, knowing the tides in your area, is one of the single most determinants to fishing success, or failure.....If you are not there at that specific window when the fish are feeding.,.....you may never know,,,,,that they were, or could be, there.....

Default Re: Following the Night Tides......Do You have What it Takes?

Rather than Spoon-feed ya's the How's Why's, and Wheres.....and making it too easy for those out there who don't want to do the work....
    This thread will be a story about the guys behind the fish.......

And the Sights,,,,
    Sounds....

Awful Smell
    s coming from your body and vehicle when you fish for days at a time.....

Lack of sleep
    , and what that does to your life....

Determination to Find the fish
    , on your own or away from the crowds.... without help from Facebook, Twitter, or your buddy the fishing guide's phone call? "Yup I slayed 32 fish at xxxxxxx Beach tonight....it's on!!! it's time to go out NOW!!!!!!!!!

Sacrifices that are made....when the activity is highest in your area.....and you know that this is the time to be out there....if you want a bigger fish.....

Smells....have to repeat this again...because there will be lots of talk about the different smells, it wouldn't be a DS story without that.....

Marathon Fishing....and the toll it takes on your body.......

In short, it will be a chronology, an inside story....of what some of us do....to keep after the fish...once we realize there is a chance to catch more than 1....and the lengths some of us go to.....to keep that Action going....... long after we should quit and give it a rest till the next batch of fish comes in......

Some of ya's may read this, and say...."Oh it's a DarkSkies story,,,,no one could be that obstinate, or delusional, in pursuit of a stupid fish!!!!

I have met a lot of characters over the years....some funny, some sad....some scary, some so obsessive about fishing that they come in from other areas,, and sleep in their car, truck, or van for a few nights when the fishing is good.... and some that could be on the Most Wanted List, if they were not fishermen.....

So this thread, and the posts here....will be a cross section, a composite of the fanatic fishermen I have met in my travels....
    And the lengths some of us go, in our quest to catch the "big one"...or find a level of action at night...that most people never think is possible......

Caution - Sensitive Personalities, please do not read any further........

There will be diisgusting stories......stories of human success, failure, self-doubt, extreme stench moments......
    Suitable for men, enlightened women, and anyone who ever wondered what it's like, to fish all night, sleep in your car, and have folks look at you in the WaWa at 3am like you are a homeless person.....

This is what some of the folks I have met have done, or how they have lived....to chase the right tides......

* If your sensibilities are easily offended.....please turn back now......
    * If you are the type of fishermen who need gloves to fillet a fish or cut bait,,,,,,,,or you carry Purell hand santitizer in your truck....you may be offended here....and might want to take up another hobby, like knitting.......
    * If you are squeamish about natural human body functions and don't enjoy that type of honest story.....please turn back now.....

If you have a real interest in learning more, becoming the best fisherman you can, and really delving deep into the reasons why some of us do this.....Hint..it ain't the tackle shop weigh-in, either.........Then by all means continue on......and have some fun..........

Feel free to poke fun at me or anyone else in this thread.......
    Hope ya's are entertained.......
    And thanks for reading, as always.......

**Keep tuning in....there will be new installments as I get time.....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    There will be diisgusting stories......stories of human success, failure, self-doubt, extreme stench moments......
    Suitable for men, enlightened women, and anyone who ever wondered what it's like, to fish all night, sleep in your car, and have folks look at you in the WaWa at 3am like you are a homeless person.....
    Totally onboard for any story that has stench moments.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    Totally onboard for any story that has stench moments.

figures.....
    I'll try to be real descriptive, just for you....and promise you that if you're squeamish or highly sensitive....ya might not like it.....

For the rest of ya's.....taking bets on how long it will take....remember that in about 30 days there will be no more numbers of bass here at all save the one or 2 ya might find fishin all night...

I don't have much time to post.....now is the time to fish...in 30 days to make that choice it may have to be Montauk, Block, MA, or Rhody.....

Member striperbites got this mid-May...probably 25+lb class.....as a testament to how bad fishing was, he was out fishing almost every night, and didn't get another bass till almost 3 weeks later.....Still a very nice fish caught from the surf at night, on artificials......

Pics courtesy of striperbites.

Attachment 18527
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mid may 23 lbs  cropped IMG954580.jpg  

Attachment 18533

Attachment 18534

Some fish I've been getting at night....mostly blues to 7#,,,and one bass.
    The bass hooked in the back wasn't an accident....I also got a bluefish in the back like that....they were feeding on small bait....it seemed they kept missing it as the strikes were more reactionary than aggressive...

Fish seemed to be focused on the Surfstix teasers as the tail hook.

Most of my rear hooks have been changed to singles for ease of release and minimal injury.....
    Unfortunately that one bluefish hit so awkwardly he got stuck in the eye....I took some time to get that hook out, so hopefully he wasnt blinded.

Attachment 18529Attachment 18530
    Attachment 18531

Attachment 18532
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP5556.jpg   IMGP5555.jpg  

IMGP5568.jpg   IMGP5570.jpg  

IMGP5506.jpg   IMGP5507.jpg  

Some of my night tide trips from the last weeks of June.....
    Fishing last weeks of June 2014
    Estuary fishing..... back bays, and alternating between bay, inlet, jetty and ocean bites....some bait around, I have been chasing after it as it moves from place to place.

6-18-14 AM

Fished 2 hours.
    2 short bass, 8 small blues.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP5581.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	18651
    The bass hit a swimmer, and light bucktail with cabelas eel. I took the pic of this small bass to illustrate that.
    Bluefish hit bucktail and metal. Misssed quite a few as the fish were tentative and focused on small bait. Pretty good action for 1 1/2 hours.

6-19-14 AM
    Fished 3 hours.
    One 9# bass, released. 15 small blues, poppers and mag darter. The blues were real aggressive....lots of fun seeing them smash the top water plugs.

6-20-14 AM
    Based on the good action from the night before....Fished from the dark into sunrise, no action at all. 5 hours. N wind blowing all night. Hate that freaking north wind for NNJ!

6-22-14 AM
    Fished 4 hours
    13 small blues , one short bass, multiple locations.
    Blues hit poppers and very small bucktail.
    Bass hit hopkins shorty.
    ** Am seeing more small bait around, though most places are still not holding any reasonable bait population. Today I noticed rainfish and shrimp that they're feeding on. There are also some very small baitfish fry (1/4" to 1/2" in the water)

6-23-14 AM
    Based on the good action from the night before......Fished 4 hours, no action at all. Bad wind and rough water again.

6-24-14 AM
    Fished 3 hours total, one 12# bass on swimmer, one bluefish on swimmer.
    Left and went to another location. Got another 5 small blues on poppers. All fish released.

6-25-14 AM
    Fished 2 hours, back bay. 9 small blues, poppers.

6-26-14 AM
    Fished 2 hours, back bay. 3 small blues, poppers.
    Moved to the ocean for another part of the tide.
    Found lots of bunker, Snagging them every few casts, high concentration. Some others were snagging and dropping with no success.

Name:	IMGP5623.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	18652
    I was snagging them while trying to work a northbar bottle. No fish for any of us. Got chased off the beach by the pending storms and lightning.

The wind also kicked up too,, was lots of white water, but no fish.

6-27-14 AM
    Fished 2 hours back bay, 5 small blues, poppers.
    SouthEast wind was building and up to 20mph as I left the bay to go to the ocean. Because of that I bagged the trip and went home early.

6-28-14 AM
    Fished 1 1/2 hours back bay, 4 small blues, poppers.

6-29-14
    Took one night off. As luck would have it, that one night a friend out there fishing artificials (who fished the whole night) did pretty well. This is one of the things that drives the compulsion ......... the "no rhyme or reason" to the pattern fishing we try to do.

The fish have been so scattered that unless you're out there every night you can't consistently catch them. Drives me absolutely nuts. On the other hand if someone only fished once or twice a week, it's easy for them to mis-calculate that there are no bass left.

What is left, is the dribs and drabs, the remnants of a late Spring bite, still hanging out in the area and tight to the bunker schools at night.

6-30-14 AM

Fished 3 hours, one bass -- 24 # -- on Northbar bottle, released.

Name:	IMGP5652.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	18653

Name:	IMGP5651.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	18645

It was the only fish on artificials that night. Lots of bunker around, but no indication of bass under them. Was getting discouraged at the lack of action and tremendous amount of bunker.
    Went through many different profiles and presentations. At one point I was bouncing a light bucktail on bottom. Getting hit regularly but not able to hook any of these fish. My best guess is that a lot of croakers or spot had moved in that night. Fish with small mouths. I was puzzled by these small fish and why they could be there in so many numbers that night, but they were. And no reasonable amounts of bass (or bluefish) chasing them, other than the one I got. Was very happy with that one bass, she put up a nice fight.

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Awesome reports Dark.
    Congrats on the Bass and Release .
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Good deal ds puttiing in the time in and still finding em.

Wow you are hardcore fishing all those nights in a row! awesome catches I'm jealous. Even better on the releases. Good job!

Fish seemed to be focused on the Surfstix teasers as the tail hook.

Most of my rear hooks have been changed to singles for ease of release and minimal injury.....

Just a reminder to crush your barbs if you know the fish to be active at night....or if fishing by yourself....
    A few weeks ago, Monty asked me if all the barbs on my hooks were crushed....
    I kind of half-heartedly answered......"Well a lot of them are...."

About a week and half ago...had some bigger blues at night...previously not all my tail hooks had the barbs crushed...
    Before I went out....for some reason I had the foresight to take a few extra minutes with tackle maintainance .......and crushed down a few more barbs on plugs I would be using......

This was fortunate....because one of the first fish I caught was close to 7#. Once hooked it got real angry...tail walking, jumping out of the water like a tarpon.....
    I really should have played that fish a little longer....the bite is limited at that location and I was only thinking of getting the fish released and back on to plugging again....the fish thrashed enough to put a hook through my thumb....
    Once I released the fish, the reality of my situation crept in....

I was far out there.....isolated area...far from any kind of help or assistance....
    Walking back to shore and returning would have taken 15 minutes out of the night's fishing....with the way the tide was that night....
    The feeding window might be over when I got back.....
    (post #38)
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ionary%2Fpage2
    I was grateful I had crushed that barb on the tail siwash....
    Without thinking twice, quickly ripped it back out, the way it came in.....
    It started to bleed a lot....hurt a bit as well....

I was all alone on the flats.....
    Blood dripping from my thumb into the water...
    Some sharks with teeth being caught out that far.....
    I quickly ripped up a bandana I bring along, applied the strip as a tourniquet....band-aids I carry were not enough to stop the bleeding....
    And I went back to fishing.

This is a pic I took of it at home....a few days after it started to heal......peroxide applied daily....

Name:	IMGP5656.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	18654

Monty wanted me to post a pic of the bloody thumb... at the time, it was a littlle hectic....no time or thoughts for a pic...
    I can't get in the way of Monty's Quest to win Googan of the Year again....
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...the-year-award

So many worthy examples on his trips out there....
    (post 42...Bloody Skunk)
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ctionary/page3
    So I hereby disqualify myself from that contest......and any voting.....

Be careful out there, people....
    Especially if you fish isolated areas by yourself at night....like I do.....

** Thanks for the kind words as well, folks.....
    These fish are a lot of fun to catch, for me.....
    I am happy as a clam out there at night....catching some schoolies......bigger bluefish....and the occasional bigger bass.
    It's a lot of work and effort...but a challenge as well....
    When the feeding windows
    (post # 38)
    change weekly, and you have to fit the pieces of the puzzle together......it makes it kind of difficult at times....to me it's all worth the effort.....Fishing the Night Tides.....
    To the mooks that I haven't seen in awhile...I will try to stop by and see ya's soon...

Dark- sorry about the finger- look at the bright side- if you had to hitch hike you would be easier to notice.

I don't go on or in the water at night- but I am considering taking my yak out with you at night- there is no way I am shark bait with you around!

That doesn't look that bad...a bloody picture would have been better.

How do you like that Kuzia style bucktail jig?

This was fortunate....because one of the first fish I caught was close to 7#. Once hooked it got real angry...tail walking, jumping out of the water like a tarpon.....
    I really should have played that fish a little longer....the bite is limited at that location and I was only thinking of getting the fish released and back on to plugging again....the fish thrashed enough to put a hook through my thumb....
    Once I released the fish, the reality of my situation crept in....

I was far out there.....isolated area...far from any kind of help or assistance....
    Walking back to shore and returning would have taken 15 minutes out of the night's fishing....with the way the tide was that night....
    The feeding window might be over when I got back.....
    (post #38)
    I was grateful I had crushed that barb on the tail siwash....
    Without thinking twice, quickly ripped it back out, the way it came in.....
    It started to bleed a lot....hurt a bit as well....

I was all alone on the flats.....
    Blood dripping from my thumb into the water...
    Some sharks with teeth being caught out that far.....
    I quickly ripped up a bandana I bring along, applied the strip as a tourniquet....band-aids I carry were not enough to stop the bleeding....
    And I went back to fishing.
    This is a pic I took of it at home....a few days after it started to heal......peroxide applied daily....

Name:	IMGP5656.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	18654

Monty wanted me to post a pic of the bloody thumb... at the time, it was a littlle hectic....no time or thoughts for a pic...
    I can't get in the way of Monty's Quest to win Googan of the Year again....

Resorting to Googan Chumming for Blues.....

You sure there is no bloody pic??? A waste of blood without a pic.
    First S and A hooked body part of the year and no hook in flesh pic....
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    - if you had to hitch hike you would be easier to notice.
    I don't go on or in the water at night- but I am considering taking my yak out with you at night- there is no way I am shark bait with you around!
    In the last 6 months you have been one of the best free advertisements for having full amounts of car, homeowners, and life insurance, pal.....
    I'm not so sure that being around me is more dangerous than hanging with you...

I know I push the limits when I'm out there.....probably too much at times....
    If it makes ya feel safer to point out how wacky I am...feel free.. ..and thanks for the laughs... ....I really do appreciate the ball busting.....I can't tell ya how many laughs I got out of reading that post....

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    That doesn't look that bad...a bloody picture would have been better.
    How do you like that Kuzia style bucktail jig?
    Someone who pays attention.
    Yes I like the Stan Kuzia style bucktails very much. IMO they have a nice sink rate when fishing deeper water and a nice roll to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    You sure there is no bloody pic??? A waste of blood without a pic.
    First S and A hooked body part of the year and no hook in flesh pic....
    I can't bring myself to steal your thunder...given your history....I know a few big time screw ups are in store for ya before the end of the year....
    and I am looking forward to each and every one.....complete with pics....I have to say when you post something that's bloody...it really stands out.......we should have an award here just for bloody pics.....
    So many worthy examples on Monty's trips out there....
    (post 42...Bloody Skunk)
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ctionary/page3

It's so refreshing to post about my harrowing experiences out there....and some mooks are telling me there wasn't enough blood in the pic . Thanks for keeping it real, people......I appreciate the ball busting....next time I'll try for a deeper hookset and bigger holes so there is more blood.
    Thanks for the laughs...you guys are the best....just what I needed to pull me out of my slump....

** Thanks for the other fishing comments as well...
    I put that time in...because it was worth it to me......
    Some 20# and bigger fish were scattered through the bunker schools,,,,those were the targets for us.....
    In the last 2 weeks it has changed drastically.....
    Mostly bluefish....occasional bass....all for a lot of effort

The latest obstacle is fire in the water....
    It has returned and is plaguing many bay areas.....
    I spent the last 2 nights, presenting to fish, in water that was filled with these dinoflagellates....
    and filled with bait as well.....very frustratng.....

Fire in the water is a real problem when fishing artificials.
    I may have to re-think my strategies for fishing at night....
    Maybe even take the kayak out to get far away from the shoreline and into the deeper channels...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast