Thread: Re: St Croix 8.5 ft Wild River rod Review

Default Re: St Croix 8.5 ft Wild River rod Review

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Fished from 6:30 to ?. LOL

Thanks again for all the help Vpass ...the pressure is now off the fly rod and I will probably put it away until we see an abundance of small bait around.

I used my new rod a bought for fluke. called wild river from St. Croix, it's a 8.5 foot rod rated for 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz. I love this rod. and would recommand it was fun fighting blues with it.

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for June 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    I used my new rod a bought for fluke. called wild river from St. Croix, it's a 8.5 foot rod rated for 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz. I love this rod. and would recommand it was fun fighting blues with it.

I wonder if I could ask you about this rod vpass. If it says 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz would you only throw 1 1/2 as the max or would you feel comforable throwing something bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
    I wonder if I could ask you about this rod vpass. If it says 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz would you only throw 1 1/2 as the max or would you feel comforable throwing something bigger.
    The knuckle head popper was the heaviest lure I casted last night, and it handle it with no problem. I'm not sure of the weight, I think the weight is around 1 1/2 oz. It would make a great schoolie rod.

The jig head I was casting weight about 5/8 oz and could believe how far I casted it.

I just saw this and would like to ask you a question too. If you threw something that was 2 oz or 2 1/2 oz could you break the rod with it. I know the answer is probably yes but was wondering what basshunter said how much bigger could you throw without chances of breaking the rod. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    I just saw this and would like to ask you a question too. If you threw something that was 2 oz or 2 1/2 oz could you break the rod with it. I know the answer is probably yes but was wondering what basshunter said how much bigger could you throw without chances of breaking the rod. Thank you
    I wouldn't go over 2 oz. The next time out with the rod i'll try it an report back.

Quote Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
    I wonder if I could ask you about this rod vpass. If it says 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz would you only throw 1 1/2 as the max or would you feel comfortable throwing something bigger.
    The knuckle head popper was the heaviest lure I casted last night, and it handle it with no problem. I'm not sure of the weight, I think the weight is around 1 1/2 oz. It would make a great schoolie rod.

The jig head I was casting weight about 5/8 oz and could believe how far I casted it.
    Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    I wouldn't go over 2 oz. The next time out with the rod i'll try it an report back.
    I have owned the exact rod for a while now as well as the heavier rated version (...lets say that mine are most likely outside the five year warranty period already).

Its a great schoolie rod as Vpass mentioned and it really excels with the light stuff. Throw on a 4000 sized reel with 20lb braid and its a casting beast for lures in the .5oz - 1oz range. Its also a great rod for fluke fishing as well and my goto surf fluking rod. I regularly cast 2-3oz plus a clam in the spring or a gulp rig in the summer. 3oz is really pushing it and its just a soft lob but thats okay as I don't need distance. The key with the heavier weights is to start winding up slow and finish fast. I wouldn't recommend going over 1.5oz unless you are highly confident in your casting ability. I have caught bass up to 20lbs on this rod in the back bay with no problems.

I will say that since they are steelhead rods they have a lot of give (they were built with this intention) and I feel at times can lack the backbone to set the hook into the jaw of a bigger bass.

Vpass, I know yesterday was the first day with the rod but don't be afraid to tighten that drag a little more and really drive those hooks home on the hookset.

Now for the heavier version of the rod - I don't like it that much, I find it to be too stiff but my brother loves it but he likes fishing heavier lures while I prefer the lighter stuff. The only thing I like this rod for is snagging bunker but I have a friend who swears by it and throws stuff as light as 1/4 oz.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently got my hands on a St. Croix 8' surf avid and I am in love with it for light to moderate sized plugs. It handles the light sub 1oz stuff incredibly well yet launches a 2-3oz metal out of sight. I really wish St. Croix made the same rod in a 9ft model.

With all the talk about light plugging rods I should also mention the two older standbys that will forever be the "bomber" rods of NJ IMO: Lami Ron Arra 1083 and GSB1081L

Default Re: St Croix 8.5 ft Wild River rod Review

Very informative gents thanks!

I agree with using this for a schoolie or fluke rod. I use mine early and later in the year when the fish are smaller.