Thread: Techniques: Bucktail

Hybrid View

In the past when I purchased bucktails the first thing I would look at is the hook.

I want a good strong hook that won't break on me and I want to be able to sharpen it once it dulls. I also want a reasonable hook size and thickness.

To me this means a Mustad 34185 forged jig hook.

^^^^^ That mustad is a bare hook. Are you pouring your own bucktails? I keep jumping back and forth to favorite hooks. One week I like owner, another week it's dai-ichi. I was using kalins for a while, but they can straighten out when the bass are over 30 lbs. I think you're on the right track if you're targeting bigger bass on bucktails.
    You don't want a whimpy hook, It also depends on how you play the fish. Too many internet surf jockeys post a pic of straightened hooks. It wasn't the fish it was that they had their drag locked down too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    ^^^^^ That mustad is a bare hook. Are you pouring your own bucktails? I keep jumping back and forth to favorite hooks. One week I like owner, another week it's dai-ichi. I was using kalins for a while, but they can straighten out when the bass are over 30 lbs. I think you're on the right track if you're targeting bigger bass on bucktails.
    You don't want a whimpy hook, It also depends on how you play the fish. Too many internet surf jockeys post a pic of straightened hooks. It wasn't the fish it was that they had their drag locked down too tight.
    You're absolutely correct jigfreak, the Mustad 34185 is a bare hook. Its also the hook that you will find on most of the better commercially tied bucktails out there.

The Mustad 34185 is not offset however it does have a 60 degree bend in the hook shank. You will find most jig hooks have either a 60 or 90 degree bend in them depending on the mold and jig head style. A 60 degree bend is usually used for jigs that have the eye towards the front of the jig while a 90 degree bend is towards the middle of the jig.

I have started pouring and tying my own bucktails; I needed something to do with the hollow hair found at the bottom 1/3 of the bucktails. It has very little use in fly or teaser tying as it is very bulky but it turns out those hairs make great bucktails.

I agree with you on the Kalins, they are fine if you are targeting weakfish but anything other than that and you risk loosing nice sized fish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140501_083713.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	18223

Mustad 34185 on Smiling Bill style jig heads...just add bucktail.

I have the range to go up or down a size but the ones above are my preferences.

Dont be afraid to change it up if what your doing isnt working. A good retrieve is a slow steady one bouncing off the bottom, Some times it doesn't work and they want something different. Bucktails make you do the thinking and work. The reward could be a fat bass.

don't know if this was posted but it was pretty awesome. by john skinner

Are you a Henry Ford type of bucktailer?

Henry Ford once said "You can have any color you want as long as its..."