Thread: T.S. Andrea and Portsmouth Island Jaunt

Default T.S. Andrea and Portsmouth Island Jaunt

Well this past weekend we traveled to Atlantic NC to catch the Ferry to deserted Portsmouth Island.

you can see Hatteras to the NE:

Four hours of driving through Tropical Storm Andrea, and we arrived at the Ferry.

you can see Core Sound behind the Donza Lee:

Unfortunately, the Donza Lee wasn't going anywhere. There is no other way to get to P. I., and you have to make reservations for a cabin almost a year in advance. So we drove on up to Cedar Island to the only motel within a hundred miles, and hoped that the weather would abate enough for us to get over to the island on Saturday.

The Driftwood Motel sits at the dock of another ferry, the huge one that connects Hatteras with the mainland. Well that ferry was also grounded, stranding all the passengers at - you guessed it - the Driftwood Motel.

So the gal at the desk (after i had elbowed my way through the crowd,) laughed when I said, "I need a room for 5."

"Aint got no more rooms, shuug. Cantcha see the ferry's not runnin'?

"Yeah, we were trying to get the other ferry over to Portsmouth Island, but Rick ain't runnin either."

"Well I'll tell ya, I shouldn't do this, cuz by law we're supposed to keep one room empty in case of an emergency, but I can let you have 24, if you'll take it."

"Sure!"

"Well you all go on over there, and come back and tell me if you still want it."

That sent up some red flags. But what else could we do?

So we hitched a ride on a couple of hundred greenhead flies over to room 24, and yes, it was what you expected.

But besides the ungodly smell, the holes in the walls and door, the floor heater that would not turn off (it was 90 degrees out and 100% humidity,) the bathroom door that would not close, and the water that came out brown and smelled of rotten eggs, we took it.

Next morning, at Morris Marina, the ferry was still not running. The waves had subsided, but it seems that the storm had sucked all the water out of the sound.

So we waited. A lot of people gave up, but some intrepid souls with their beach buggies and gators, hung around and stared at Capt. Rick as he stomped up and down, waiting for the Coast Guard to show up and inspect some repairs he was doing to the Green Grass. The Green Grass has a shallower draft than the Donza Lee, and he could have been taking vehicles and people across, if the CG had just showed up on Thursday, like they said they would.

Eventually Capt Rick came over to me and said, "Since you all are walk-ons, I think I'll just throw you in my center console and we'll zip on over there while we're waiting for the water to come up. Just don't say nothin'!"

"Great!"

So I helped Rick hitch up his center console. But upon inspection, no gas. One of his sons had borrowed it, and left the tanks empty.

"Well looks like I gotta go get some gas. This'll take a while."

So back to waiting. But waiting wasn't all bad.

"Yesh I'll have another one thanksh":

Well we finally made it over there - amidst open mouths and dirty looks from the landlubbers stranded on the dock - and it turned out to be a beautiful day.

Sitting in front of the PI cabins:

There was some awesome surf for bodysurfing, and my son Jeremy got some skim boarding in.

Jeremy skimboarding:

I broke out the 8'6 St Croix and plugged a break in the bar at dawn on Sunday, after the surf calmed down some, but it was still dirty as hell. Other than some weeds, I caught nada.

One of the guys in the cabin next door got a 17" Southern Flounder and a slot Red Drum down at the South Point, but it was a little too far for me to walk there and back. Besides my sunburn was smarting by Sunday and I thought it would be best to just hang with the Mrs. for the rest of the day.

We had a great time, but next time I'll bring my 4x4.

Thanks for reading!

jon

Default Re: T.S. Andrea and Portsmouth Island Jaunt

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    "Well I'll tell ya, I shouldn't do this, cuz by law we're supposed to keep one room empty in case of an emergency, but I can let you have 24, if you'll take it."

"Sure!"

"Well you all go on over there, and come back and tell me if you still want it."

That sent up some red flags. But what else could we do?

So we hitched a ride on a couple of hundred greenhead flies over to room 24, and yes, it was what you expected.

But besides the ungodly smell, the holes in the walls and door, the floor heater that would not turn off (it was 90 degrees out and 100% humidity,) the bathroom door that would not close, and the water that came out brown and smelled of rotten eggs, we took it.

jon

Funniest part of the story for me! She knew you would take it you were in a bind. Looks like you made the best of things and had a great time. Really enjoyed the pics and story thanks for sharing.

Portsmouth Island looks and sounds very isolated. Heard some stories but never from anyone who actually was there. Thanks for sharing, good family time. Catching many fish in that water would have been a superhuman feat. Maybe not for finchaser but certainly the rest of us mere mortals.

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Taking a trip down to NC/Hatteras is on my wish list.

I remember you told me you were nervbous about the weather but couldn't cancel the reservations...and went anyway....
    Thanks for sharing that with us Jon....the pics are incredible......beautiful sunset.....and way to celebrate your 9 years.....

thanks guys

i have to confess that the sunset photo was taken the first time i went to PI, about 10 years ago or so.

here's a couple more from that trip:

on the strand:

our campsite:

I think the perfect trip there would be for a week or so in a camper. You could just stay where they are biting.

The marina will bring over ice or whatever else you need on the ferry, and there is a public shower and head near the cabins.

Mostly red drum there, but the occasional striper. Blues, albies, flounder, etc., but sometimes pompano! lol.

Great place. Recommend it highly.

That looks like a remote and beautiful place for a family vacation thanks for posting the info.

Quote Originally Posted by surferman View Post
    That looks like a remote and beautiful place for a family vacation thanks for posting the info.
    At least you won't be crowded by tourists and cruise ships.

Very nice pictures thanks for sharing the story!

you're welcome