Thread: Record-Sized Rockfish May Also be the Oldest - 175 years?

Default Record-Sized Rockfish May Also be the Oldest - 175 years?

Big fish.

Record-Sized Rockfish May Also be the Oldest

http://sitkasentinel.com/7/2012-05-1...-be-the-oldest
    June 21: Sport fisherman Henry Liebman, from Seattle, holds his record-breaking shortraker rockfish at the Alaska Department of Fish and Game office.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Record rockfish.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	17246

A record-breaking rockfish was hauled in near Sitka last week.
    Henry Liebman reeled in the 39.08-pound shortraker late last week, breaking the old record of 38.69 pounds for a shortraker caught on sportfishing gear.

The age of the fish hasn?t yet been determined, but that too might be a record, a fishery expert said.

Liebman, an insurance adjustor who works in Seattle, said he frequently visits Sitka to charter fish, so he knew that he had a large fish on when the shortraker struck.
    I knew it was abnormally big (but I) didn't know it was a record until on the way back we looked in the Alaska guide book that was on the boat, Liebman said.

A fishery biologist said this shortraker may have been patrolling Sitka's coast since the time of Alexander Baranov.
    Troy Tidingco, Sitka area manager for the state Department of Fish and Game, certified Liebman?s catch, and said this fish might be in the neighborhood of 200 years old.

The rougheye is the oldest-aged fish at 205, Tydingco said. He said the longevity record for shortrakers, which are often confused with rougheyes, is 175 years. But that record fish, he said was quite a bit smaller than the one Henry caught.

That fish was 32 and a half inches long, where Henrys was almost 41 inches, so his could be substantially older.
    Samples of the fish have been sent to a lab in Juneau where the actual age of Liebman's fish will be determined.

Rockfish live at depths that range between 84 feet all the way down to almost 4,000 feet. Liebman said he was fishing at a depth of around 900 feet, 10 miles out when his giant shortraker took his bait.

The fish went back to Washington with Liebman, who plans to have it mounted.
    He also took home a big fish story that he said he's already been getting a lot of mileage out of.

Default Re: Record-Sized Rockfish May Also be the Oldest - 175 years?

Can't even imagine a fish being 175 yrs old. I have read that some tog can be 40-50 yrs old. I can wrap my head around that age but 175 is way up there. Nice catch!

Default Re: Record-Sized Rockfish May Also be the Oldest - 175 years?

nice fish!