Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for August 2013.....wwwStripersAndAnglers.com

Hybrid View

Default NJ Fishing Reports for August 2013.....wwwStripersAndAnglers.com

NJ fishing reports for August 2013...www.stripersandanglers.com

**Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING. Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED.
    Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

**For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
    Out Front (Ocean) OR -- Out Back (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time.

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

1. If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:
    If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish there today?

2. If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
    More discussion on this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
    NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
    SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
    IBSP - Island Beach State Park
    LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
    CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
    CMC - Cape May County
    GEI - Great Egg Inlet
    TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
    BB - Barnegat Bay
    CB - Chesapeake Bay
    DB - Delaware Bay

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for August 2013.....wwwStripersAndAnglers.com

RobMedina,
    you won the plug in the July 2013 random drawing!
    PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked!

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site!

Wow- Thanks! Can't wait to use it!

Congrats rob I have won this in the past ds has a nice stash of plugs.
    I fished nomoco last night the outgoing tide and slack. Had some nice fluke action till almost the end and got 6 huckory shad on the teaser. 5 short fluke and 6 hickories lots of fun.

Absolutely gorgeous night out yesterday. Hit LBI with my buddy Mike. Went north up into surf city area to wait for the fresh bunker to arrive at the bait shop. While we waited we went and threw a line in. I got to use my casting egg and my new spinfisher v for a little bit. No takers. Mike landed a cocktail blue on a bucktail tipped with gulp.
    Next time I am bringing my gulp! anyway- The target for tonight was shark so we headed to the baitshop got our bunker and headed about mid island. I think LBI should be renamed little wildwood. The beach is huge! although the exercise is good.
    Anyway- as people have reported, the spots are thick in the surf. I tried a king rig and fishbites for the first time. I am a believer my friends. As soon as that bait would hit the water they were on it. MIke loaded up his cooler with spots. I caught a few spots and 1 king.
    Something was chasing the spots because every once in a while they would jump out of the water fleeing something. I threw in some bunker. nothing. Live lined a spot, nothing.
    Mike got tired after the sun went down but he hung out till 11ish. I wanted to move to a new spot but I knew if I did I would loose Mike, so I waited. Mike called it a night and I moved to another spot that used to be a hole and is now a flat area. The water is under 6" deep for about 40 yards before you hit the surf.
    I have to be honest- I am chicken crap in the water after dark- so wading out in that skinny water was a little un nerving even though I knew what could possibly get me in that stuff...
    Well anyway, I managed to **** it up and wade out 'close' to the breaking surf and threw my bait out the furthest I could hoping to land in some good water. About 20 minutes goes by and my reel starts screaming. The fish feels decent. He took a couple of runs straight out so I felt it must be a shark. so after I tire him out I realize- hmm, I am not sure how big he his- the water is skinny for 40 yards...do I have to go get him??? in the water???
    So I keep pulling him in- I can just barely make him out with my headlamp, yup he is a shark. Not a very big one- estimated between 3 and 4 feet. probably closer to 4. I was able to pull him through the skinny water to get him up on the sand. Hook removal was easy. I took him out as far as I could in the scary skinny water afraid he was going to chase me back in, lol!
    He seemed to struggle trying to get back out so I overcame my little girl fear and went in to help him out. I grabbed him by the tail and took him out to deeper water.
    Don't you know that sucker came back in...just to stalk me. I did not think it was safe to go back in to cast out my next bait, lol!

OK, I know I went on way too long, but these are the things you think about to amuse yourself in the dead of night. Thanks for putting up with my ramblings!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130802_225736.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	17369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130802_225508.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	17370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130802_225433.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	17371

Awesome report rob I like your honesty! Even though you said it was a small shark those teeth are big enough to do some damage.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous night out yesterday.
    OK, I know I went on way too long, but these are the things you think about to amuse yourself in the dead of night. Thanks for putting up with my ramblings!
    Real nice report Rob, congrats on getting that shark.
    Last Saturday night when I fished it was a beautiful night, just being out there on such a real nice night was extremely enjoyable.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Fished this morning ocean side from 1:00 to 8:00.
    Picked up a shad on a teaser, then a decent Fluke on a loaded red fin, Sea Robin also on the loaded Red Fin.
    Also picked up 6 short stripers, biggest around 24 inches.
    Loaded Red Fin, white Hogy and feathered teaser (2 on each).
    And a double of blues (Howdy and feathered teaser).
    Last fish caught around 6:15.
    None of the fish were sluggish, was awesome seeing them crash the White Hogy.
    Had a few bumps and misses, covered at least a mile and half of beach, great time .
    Beautiful night, saw 4 shooting stars, ocean had small chop. Water and air were cool.

Absolutely gorgeous night out yesterday. Hit LBI with my buddy Mike. Went north up into surf city area to wait for the fresh bunker to arrive at the bait shop. While we waited we went and threw a line in. I got to use my casting egg and my new spinfisher v for a little bit. No takers. Mike landed a cocktail blue on a bucktail tipped with gulp.
    Next time I am bringing my gulp! anyway- The target for tonight was shark so we headed to the baitshop got our bunker and headed about mid island. I think LBI should be renamed little wildwood. The beach is huge! although the exercise is good.
    Anyway- as people have reported, the spots are thick in the surf. I tried a king rig and fishbites for the first time. I am a believer my friends. As soon as that bait would hit the water they were on it. MIke loaded up his cooler with spots. I caught a few spots and 1 king.
    Something was chasing the spots because every once in a while they would jump out of the water fleeing something. I threw in some bunker. nothing. Live lined a spot, nothing.
    Mike got tired after the sun went down but he hung out till 11ish. I wanted to move to a new spot but I knew if I did I would loose Mike, so I waited. Mike called it a night and I moved to another spot that used to be a hole and is now a flat area. The water is under 6" deep for about 40 yards before you hit the surf.
    I have to be honest- I am chicken crap in the water after dark- so wading out in that skinny water was a little un nerving even though I knew what could possibly get me in that stuff...
    Well anyway, I managed to **** it up and wade out 'close' to the breaking surf and threw my bait out the furthest I could hoping to land in some good water. About 20 minutes goes by and my reel starts screaming. The fish feels decent. He took a couple of runs straight out so I felt it must be a shark. so after I tire him out I realize- hmm, I am not sure how big he his- the water is skinny for 40 yards...do I have to go get him??? in the water???
    So I keep pulling him in- I can just barely make him out with my headlamp, yup he is a shark. Not a very big one- estimated between 3 and 4 feet. probably closer to 4. I was able to pull him through the skinny water to get him up on the sand. Hook removal was easy. I took him out as far as I could in the scary skinny water afraid he was going to chase me back in, lol!
    He seemed to struggle trying to get back out so I overcame my little girl fear and went in to help him out. I grabbed him by the tail and took him out to deeper water.
    Don't you know that sucker came back in...just to stalk me. I did not think it was safe to go back in to cast out my next bait, lol!

Great reports and pics pretty work.

Always enjoy your reports and your honesty rob. Felt like I was there as I was reading that. Thanks for sharing.