Thread: Tabory snake fly

Default Tabory snake fly

Default Re: Tabory snake fly

This fly has incredible underwater movement. I can't wait to try and tie one up.

Great mullet imitation thanks for sharing.

I just ordered all the material to tie this fly-cant wait to spin deer hair.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    I just ordered all the material to tie this fly-cant wait to spin deer hair.
    Look forward to seeing it

I am still waiting for the ostrich herl but the deer belly hair came today and I have been dying to spin it. I did this little fly by trying to remember how to do it. When all the other material comes in I will follow the video posted above. but it isn't as hard as I was thinking. I used rooster hackle in place of the ostrich herl- could be a peanut bunker type fly. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spun deer hair.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	17549

ok I tied 2 so far. My ostrich herl is not as long as the ones in the video. The first one I tied I did not stay as close to the bend of the hook with the herl- so when I went to spin the hair on I did not have that much room- much better on the second one.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tabory snake fly.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	17553

Looks good and should push water

JB- if you plan on tying this fly- a word to the wise- get jumbo ostrich herl plume. The one I got is small. I can only use the center of the plume for herls with any usable length.

Thanks.

I've noticed some materials can be hard to come by. I really want to get into tying flatwings but the feathers are hard to come by unless your really willing to overpay. Dam teenagers putting them in their hair.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Thanks.

I've noticed some materials can be hard to come by. I really want to get into tying flatwings but the feathers are hard to come by unless your really willing to overpay. Dam teenagers putting them in their hair.
    Yes that is so true- if certain feathers or fur becomes fashionably trendy- you can forget about finding them. I tell you want, I would hold down some teenagers while you get us some feathers!