Thread: Hollow Semper Fly

Default Hollow Semper Fly

That's pretty interesting how he did that. I have seen fly tyers make the flies before and usually they run the bucktail to the back and wrap it. Haven't seen a video yet where he set it up facing frontwards and pushed it back with his thumbs. Have you ever made that particular one? Looks pretty complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by VSdreams View Post
    That's pretty interesting how he did that. I have seen fly tyers make the flies before and usually they run the bucktail to the back and wrap it. Haven't seen a video yet where he set it up facing frontwards and pushed it back with his thumbs. Have you ever made that particular one? Looks pretty complicated.
    I haven't attempted to tie it myself yet but SF describes the fly well in the video.

I believe the hollow tie method was created by Bob Popovics. He ties the material in backwards and then uses a tube (empty pen case) to push it back and wraps bucktail in front (NOT ON TOP) to flair the material.

It looks to be a good big bait profile such as bunker or herring without all the bulk that makes other big flies difficult to cast.

Thanks for the quick response JB!

It gives the illusion of a wider baitfish from the rear and allows the bucktail to pulsate when stripped or j igged compared to just tying in at the head.If you use 2 colors it will blend them together.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    It gives the illusion of a wider baitfish from the rear and allows the bucktail to pulsate when stripped or j igged compared to just tying in at the head.If you use 2 colors it will blend them together.

Surfstix,

Do you blend the bucktail on each band or assign one color to each band?

Im going to try one with a red head and white body.

What other color combos do you recommend for these? Usual dark over light patterns?

one color at a time, the important thing is to tie in front of the material to hold it9takes some practice) rather then wrap over the material that will pull it down and you will lose the profile.Red/white,olive/white,yellow/red and blue/white and chartreuse for those dirty water days.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.