Thread: Surf Candy

Default Surf Candy

This is another Bob Popovics creation

Thanks for sharing. Stupid question, is a surf candy a variation of a deceiver? Or is a deceiver a type of the surf candy fly, or are they totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Stupid question, is a surf candy a variation of a deceiver? Or is a deceiver a type of the surf candy fly, or are they totally different.

Cowhearder, Im still just getting my feet wet but I will try my best.

The Surf Candy traditionally has an epoxy or UV body/head that runs from the eye of the hook to the shank. I 've been told this adds much more durability to the fly. You normally see these flies tied as small and slim bait profiles. Think spearing, anchovies and sand eels.

The deceiver is normally a fly with a much bigger and bulkier profile. I don't know how else to describe it?? Check out the deceiver videos that are posted.

Hopefully someone more experienced can add to this.

Asking questions about something you don't know is embarassing at times because you wonder if someone will bust on you. I don't get that feeling on this site so much because of all the helpful members but sometimes feel apprehensive asking questions. Thank you for not doing that and for the help jb.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Asking questions about something you don't know is embarassing at times because you wonder if someone will bust on you. I don't get that feeling on this site so much because of all the helpful members but sometimes feel apprehensive asking questions. Thank you for not doing that and for the help jb.
    I only wish I had more first hand experience/knowledge on the subject so I could offer a better answer. I've only been doing this for about six months so I'm hesitant to offer advice on something I'm not completely sure of myself.

I have to agree with you about the helpful members on here. I go onto one of the bigger sites much less now...most of the sub forums have turned into a few guys who started fishing three years ago and are now experts in every subject and others who can't help but to make sarcastic remarks in every thread.

Are you planning on getting into fly fishing or fly tying?

Surf Candies using Fleye Foils by Bob Popovics

These should make great teasers as well.

Thanks for sharing JB. Cool Video, I have that Flex coat. Have not used it yet. I do need to make more flies for this season. I'm so behind on what I planned. Need to make some of those flies.

A deceiver pattern is utilizing bucktail and feathers(hackle) where as the surf candy is generally a rainbait pattern usually using just bucktail and some flash, there are many types of surf candies.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Surf Candy with rattles

Watch the video that dogfish posted that shows how spearing look underwater:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...-Under-the-ICE!

Makes a great case for using the FLEYE foils on surf candies as spearing imitations.

Spearing is usually the only other visible bait I see around in our northern NJ bays in early March (besides adult bunker).

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Spearing is usually the only other visible bait I see around in our northern NJ bays in early March (besides adult bunker).
    I caught my first few bass ocean side last year on a yellow Surf Candy (as a teaser).
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I like his version of the surf candy.

Surf Candy by Andrew Warshawer

TUFFLEYE

EPOXY