Thread: line roller bearing pressure

Default line roller bearing pressure

I got so many snags yesterday around the rocks in LBI and had to break my line every time (well I got some out but most I wasn't able to) In freshwater fishing I used fluorocarbon- if I got a snag and wasn't able to get it out I would usually break the line with the pressure from the rod but with the gear I use now with the minimum braid strength of 30# my rod might break before the line snaps, so I tend to point the rod straight at the snag palm the spool (to keep it from moving) and pull back putting all the pressure on the line itself. After doing that a few times the thought came to me- am I putting a lot of pressure on the line roller bearing, thus causing damage and getting that grinding noise?

It felt, or sounded like my reel got noisier after breaking the line a few times. Now it could be a coincidence but I figured I would ask the question.

I am cleaning the reel now just incase it just needed a deep cleaning- but I keep my gear pretty clean-so not sure if that is it.

Anyway, any thoughts?

grinding noise comes from salt and a cheap bearing rusting. I break my line off as you describe and never had a bearing issue what type of reel do you have if I may ask seems you had this noise a few weeks back. Same reel??????????????????????????????

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Rob what finchaser said makes a lot of sense. I remember you had that problem as well. Can you take it apart and inspect the bearing for rust? If so maybe the bearing is bad or rusty and you could replace it, good luck. Otherwise you will be spending a lot of moolah on line that you don't have to.

correct I did have this problem before with my fin nor reel. the reel I am referring to here is a penn spinfisher v 5500. it isn't making the grinding noise it just sounds a little louser. I may be hyper sesitive to noises because of my ocd.

If its ocd that helps you to make those great teasers thats a good thing, you should pray it never leaves you.

A woush type noise is normal it is caused by the braid. You could respool the reel with mono and see if noise persists if it does it's the bearing. Me personally except for my VS's. I personally grease all new reels as most companies are very sparse when it comes to grease especially on line roller bearings which I use corrosion -X bearing oil or quantum hot sauce, both coat and penetrate pores in metal.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    If its ocd that helps you to make those great teasers thats a good thing, you should pray it never leaves you.
    lol thanks SS!

also I meant to say louder not louser up above.

ok another question do you use oil or greese for the line roller bearing?

see above in my post for types of oil we use in shops unless it's a non sealed which is unusual then pack with grease