Thread: Fall run

Default Fall run

When will it start?

When water drops to minimum of 60

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Yeah good point the water is way too hot right now. There is no reason for them to move unless the water drops. What about the lenght of day does that have something to do with it? How about the whitebait run they say that gets it jumpstarted what do you guys think?

bait moves on water tempt also
    September’s full harvest moon has a tremendous effect on both weakfish and striped bass which take it as a sign to start their annual southern migration. During this lunar period juvenile species of both predator and prey are driven outward along the shoreline.

do they stay out there after the moon phase or do they go back in, or just move on? so I guess fishing along the inlet during this new moon should be favorable, no?

Finchaser do you do any fishing in new england? I fish in new england the cape,the ditch, ri.

I see you guys are all from Joisey.
    I can't speak for your fall run but ours has a lot to do with water temperatures like finchaser said and also when the bait moves out. Striperhunter was wondering why you are concentrating on the cape and the ditch. There are other places in the bay that are great long before the fish start to migrate. Have been catching fish all summer near certain creek and river mouths. I like the ditch on weeknights but no offense when everyone from down south is talking about it it can be half over by then. There have been squid and lots of tinker mackeral all summer. Find the deeper water dropoffs near channels and harbor mouths and you can find some decent fish from shore. Of course there is always monomoy but then you need a boat.
    Don't you have any fish down in jersey? I saw a pic on the internet of a fishing place that had hundreds of guys lined up. I think that is a famous state park in NJ not sure of the exact name but folks talk about it as the fall to remember. I think it is somewhere around Thanksgiving by you all. Ours starts sooner because of the water temperatures. By Thanksgiving our run is mostly over with only a few small schoolies left.

Quote Originally Posted by striperhunter View Post
    Finchaser do you do any fishing in new england? I fish in new england the cape,the ditch, ri.
    Not since 1969

@dogfish- you are talking about Island Beach State Park. This year will be my first year fishing the fall run and I hope it will be as it has been in the past. Hopefully you boys up north will save a few stripers for us down here.

Dogfish and Finchaser I know about the condtion.I was thinking of heading up north around 17-19 this month.

striperhunter as dogfish said things have not gelled yet if you are looking for big fish from the land. There was a sustained bite at the monomoy rips about 2 months ago which lasted for a while. If you come up the 17-19 that might be good, but the full moon is the 19th. If you have any flexibility I would think the days from 19-22 could be a little better. Right on the waning cycle you just might run into some large. Do you fish eels?

Yes I fish live eels.