Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for September 2013.....wwwStripersAndAnglers.com

this AM 3 micro bass and 9 blues in the 5 to 6 pound range

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Nice finchaser now all we need is some bigger ones up north! I fished nomoco today around sunup. Picked up a few small blues not snappers but no bigger than 1 lb each. Also 2 hickory shad. The shad hit small redgill teaser the blues hit an ava oo7.

took a walk along the beach in portmonmouth.i counted 105 dead horseshoe crabs, in just a mile.does any body know why they are dying.

Did the sunup thing in nomoco today 5-7:30am. The blues were thicker and there seemed to be a lot of small bait around. Some birds and fish working further out but they were slow moving don't think it was the albies just more cocktail blues. Got almost 20 blues and 3 hickory shad. Ava and redgill teaser.

^^^Possible too much algae or too little oxygen. MHO.
    nice report steve. finchaser happy to hear about bigger blues there have been a lot of aggressive snappers eating my gulp for the last few weeks its time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by voyager35 View Post
    Heads up for the shore guys. The adult bunker have been coming into the bay at the end of day. Have seen them out there around the tip of the hook the last 2 trips while out there fluke fishing. It is possible the bigger bluefish you are seeing are chasing them.
    I think you are right voyager. It seems the party boats don't have to go out that far anymore for the big bluefish. Hopefully they will be in range soon.

Chas something I found on horseshoe crabs. Dont know if it applies to where you are.

Pollution also is a possible threat to horseshoe crabs. People are using more pesticides on their lawns and farmland, and New Jersey and Delaware are spraying more for mosquito control. As a result, you get more chemicals washing into the water from the urban and agricultural runoff. Junk in the water causes problems, too. Sewage, factory waste, rainwater carrying pollutants from parking lots, yards and streams can kill clams and other animals that crabs use for food. Water pollution may weaken or kill horseshoe eggs and larvae.
    http://library.thinkquest.org/J0110020/threat.html

Quote Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
    ^^^Possible too much algae or too little oxygen. MHO.
    nice report steve. finchaser happy to hear about bigger blues there have been a lot of aggressive snappers eating my gulp for the last few weeks its time for a change.
    paco that was pretty informative thanks for posting. I heard up in new england they don't like them but down by us and in the delaware bay everyone pretty much leaves them alone. Except for the poachers. basshunter I fish a lot in atlantic county and we have not had even the small snappers. Mostly croakers and spot, and always doggies and skates. Would love to see those bigger bluefish like you guys do.

Chas I know that area you were walking in. Paco may be right with some of the possibilities he posted. Also around this time of year the water back there gets stagnant. I don't know if you remember this but in the last 10 years we have had fishkills at least 2 times that I recall. Massive peanut bunker die offs. Maybe it has something to do with the lower summer oxygen levels which also kills the fish. Haven't seen any dead peanut bunker or mullet back there this year so I am not certain. That water does get funny though when there aren't a lot of storms.
    Also sometimes there are immigrants who fish along that shoreline. They hate the horseshoe crabs when they hook up with them and leave them on the beach.
    Same thing with the sea robins. I believe madcaster posted a pic of a dead circle of sea robins in the dead things thread.

2 fat croakers and a weakie from the back bay last night. Saw the Rocket with fire trail- pretty cool even though I did not know they were launching a rocket and thought we were being invaded. tons of doggies. there were 3-4' brown sharks all over the bay eating peanut bunker. The water was extremely warm- may have a shot at albies after all.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    The water was extremely warm- may have a shot at albies after all.

Good reports gents.
    Skunk report. Hey rob maybe you will be luckier in south jersey hope you get a chance to find them.
    I was out this AM looking for albies. Drove up and down the strip in 2 counties. Moco and Occo. No real signs of life in close. This is getting depressing they are not even getting them on the bluefish boats or at the shrewsbury rocks. finchaser nailed it when he said this could be the worst year for surf albies in some time.
    I made a note to look in the sky for the rocket launch last night but by the time I remembered it was over.

Alibies were 40 to 60 miles off today

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

weird cause they were reported in the surf down in cape may a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    weird cause they were reported in the surf down in cape may a few days ago.
    Rob, don't believe every report you read. I haven't heard of one reliable report of Albies inshore/surf.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Alibies were 40 to 60 miles off today

I can confirm this...monster sized Albies 30-50 miles out for us. These we're like 5x bigger than any albie I've ever seen in my life.

Fin, were you out there today? Beautiful 1-2ft seas made for a quick and comfortable ride out.

We couldn't keep the Albies out of our trolling spread for longer than a few minutes as they would just slam the spreader bars two/three at a time. Some were so big they were peeling line from 50W setups. If these fish move inshore (I don't think they will - water quality inshore sucks right now as Fin said on page 1) we would be seeing a lot of surf guys getting spooled.

The water quality 40 miles out is really good right now. Lots of life out there too.

We gave up on trolling after a while not being able to get past the falsies and started jigging the readings. We had the fish finder lit up from the sea bottom to the surface all sand eels and Albies. Drop to bottom, crank, crank, jig, Albie on!

Amazing what can change in a few hours...just the day before they only had a few falsies and a bunch of 80-100lb tuna. We only heard of a few YFT caught today out of a huge fleet of boats.

We had to give our arms a break stopped on a pot and had absolutely insane Mahi Mahi action. We could have caught our limit of 40 quickly if we wanted to. One of my favorite fish to eat, fresh sashimi tonight!

Went looking in different areas seeing if we could pull up an edible tuna but no luck.

My arms are absolutely shot.

I'm going to shoot the next person who says Albie or Falsie. Got it?

good report JB sounds like you guys had a great time.

Fished nomoco for sunrise and 2 hours after. The small blues were all over on the tiny bait. Picked up a bunch on diamond jig and teaser. Also a few hickories.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Rob, don't believe every report you read. I haven't heard of one reliable report of Albies inshore/surf.

I can confirm this...monster sized Albies 30-50 miles out for us. These we're like 5x bigger than any albie I've ever seen in my life.

Fin, were you out there today? Beautiful 1-2ft seas made for a quick and comfortable ride out.

We couldn't keep the Albies out of our trolling spread for longer than a few minutes as they would just slam the spreader bars two/three at a time. Some were so big they were peeling line from 50W setups. If these fish move inshore (I don't think they will - water quality inshore sucks right now as Fin said on page 1) we would be seeing a lot of surf guys getting spooled.

The water quality 40 miles out is really good right now. Lots of life out there too.

We gave up on trolling after a while not being able to get past the falsies and started jigging the readings. We had the fish finder lit up from the sea bottom to the surface all sand eels and Albies. Drop to bottom, crank, crank, jig, Albie on!

Amazing what can change in a few hours...just the day before they only had a few falsies and a bunch of 80-100lb tuna. We only heard of a few YFT caught today out of a huge fleet of boats.

We had to give our arms a break stopped on a pot and had absolutely insane Mahi Mahi action. We could have caught our limit of 40 quickly if we wanted to. One of my favorite fish to eat, fresh sashimi tonight!

Went looking in different areas seeing if we could pull up an edible tuna but no luck.

Awesome report jb sounds like you really got into em!
    So - will you be taking any more offshore trips? Albie looking forward to the reports.

Fished Island beach from 6-8. Down by the inlet. There was about 45 minutes of bluefish and bird activity around 6:30. Picked up a few small blues and robins on metal. For once the winds shifted and the flies weren't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post

John there was an old song in the 70's. Michael Jackson, Albie there? Ever hear of it?

^^^John I could not resist had to jump in on the pile too.

In a famous movie the lead actor used the phrase: "Albie back!!!!!"
    Is this a true or falsie statement?
    If so what was that movie?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast