Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jersey Shore Shark attacks!

Default Re: Sharking the NJ surf

Just viewed this again thanks for posting surfstix it was cool.

These guys took the video of a great white in June.
    30 miles off Atlantic City. There are some big monsters not too far out there in the summer.

there are 4 GW off the eastern coast of the US. You can see where they are by going to this link http://sharks-ocearch.verite.com/

Default Bull Shark takes bite out of NJ teen

Have to be careful out there you never know when your number is up.

Bull shark takes bite out of New Jersey teen vacationing in Florida

Christian Mercurio, of Randolph, N.J., was badly chomped by a bull shark while fishing in waist-deep water in Sanibel, Fla.

Comments (9) By Ginger Adams Otis / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 6:03 PM
    WNBC

Christian Mercurio, a New Jersey teenager, says he survived a shark attack while vacationing with his family in Florida.

A New Jersey teen on a fishing trip in Florida wound up as the catch of the day for a hungry shark.
    Christian Mercurio, of Randolph, N.J., got his leg and foot badly chomped by a 6-to-8-foot bull shark last week while fishing in waist-deep swells in Sanibel, Fla.

RELATED: BOY SURVIVES SHARK ATTACK DURING SURFING COMPETITION “I felt like my feet were crushed by cement,” the teen told WNBC-TV.
    He had no warning of the menace lurking in the warm shallow waters.
    RELATED: VIDEO: HAMMERHEAD SHARK GIVES BIRTH ON BEACH

Amanda Cotton/Getty Images/iStockphoto
    The bull shark that attacked Christian Mercurio was 6 feet to 8 feet.

Christian, 17, said he was bitten twice — and the big fish seemed to get more aggressive as he fought to get away.
    “(It bit) once when I was fishing, and the second time when I was trying to run in,” he told WNBC.

RELATED: GOOD SAMARITAN USES 'SHARK WEEK' SKILLS TO RESCUE TEEN

On the beach, his mother Lisa Mercurio thought he was joking when she heard him yelling for help.
    “My mom was like, ‘Don’t yell shark, you’ll start a panic,’” Christian said.
    RELATED: SHARK FOUND ON N TRAIN WASHED UP ON CONEY ISLAND

WNBC

Luckily, 17-year-old's Christian Mercurio mother is a nurse who quickly wrapped the bite wounds he suffered from a bull shark in Florida.
    Luckily, his mom is a registered nurse who sprang into action when she saw the vicious, serrated bite marks up and down his right leg and across his left foot.
    She got his legs elevated and wrapped his wounds with beach towels donated by other swimmers.
    The bull shark probably mistook Christian for a fish in the cloudy water, authorities said.
    It missed hitting any major arteries, but left deep wounds in Christian’s ankles and legs.
    Back home in Randolph, Christian recovered from his ordeal by watching “Shark Week” on the Discovery Channel.
    “I spent the week having nightmares,” his mom said, describing the shark attack as “surreal.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2bxIiwPBv

Default Re: Bull Shark takes bite out of NJ teen

I am glad I read this AFTER I waded out into chest deep water to fish at IBSP!

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    I am glad I read this AFTER I waded out into chest deep water to fish at IBSP!
    If your like me you just rub your bloody bunker hands on your waders once your done baiting up. Creates a nice chum slick

A bull shark was what swam up matawan creek and killed those kids. I think it was in the 1920's or 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    If your like me you just rub your bloody bunker hands on your waders once your done baiting up. Creates a nice chum slick
    You so crazy.

I was trying to reply to this yesterday but the web kept locking up on me. I was going to say- you must have seen me, lol, cause I do this. my ritual is to put the bait on then rinse my hands in the surf and then wipe the water (and whatever else) off on my waders. maybe not as bad as doing it directly but I am sure there is some residual. I am very finicky about my rods- anyone who uses my stuff MUST rinse their hands after they bait up- I don't want my rod handles smelling like rotten fish. I am sure it drives my friends crazy- but hey if they don't like it buy your own stuff.

Last night I had to wade through thigh high water to get to the outer sandbar to cast to "fishable" water and all I could think about was this story. I kept looking in the water all around me as I waded out and basically ran back in, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    Last night I had to wade through thigh high water to get to the outer sandbar to cast to "fishable" water and all I could think about was this story. I kept looking in the water all around me as I waded out and basically ran back in, lol!
    Bull sharks are nasty there is no rhyme or reason for when they attack. I have read they are one of the most unpredictable sharks out there. Not saying you can predict a shark attack, but from the info out there it seems the bulls will strike at anything that remotely appears to be edible while other sharks are more cautious at first. Saw some of this stuff on shark week too.
    Dude that would have been a trip if you were out there at night and a ray bumped against you and you thought it was a shark! I know I would crap my pants if that happened!

Sounds like a plot for one of the "jackass" shows. I could picture them putting johnny knoxville or steve-o in the skit covered by shark blood and bunker pieces. No thanks!

That kid is definitely lucky it wasn't worse. And he has some cool scars to impress the chicks with, lol.

Hey that was in Florida but you never know. Even though it has been an off year for sharks in NJ you never know it's not too late for a bull shark to show up.

Default Jeresy Shore Shark attacks!

Thought I would post a thread to honor the end of the tourist season. Lead in with the movie that showed up on TV last year.
    Thread title Jersey shore shark attacks. The movie is so bad it's cool!
    Post your favorite clips or lamest lines. Anything about NJ shark attacks

lol say it in your best guido voice - "I hate shaaaaaaaaks!!!!!!"

^^^^^^Amen, at the same time it is stupid and hilarious. Paul Sorvino, Paul Sirico, Jack Scalia, Fatone, what a battle of guidos against preppies. All of the bennies who come down to Seaside for the season are in this movie.

Interesting documentary on NJ shark attacks including the attack in matawan in July 1916.

today

Sharks spotted in Avalon, Margate
    http://nj1015.com/sharks-spotted-in-avalon-margate/

Aah you joisey folks are sissies. Come on up to MA we have great whites all over.
    We had 2 in just the last 2 weeks, in 15' of water.
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/201....html#comments

Sharks are everywhere.
    does anyone listen to 101.5 during the day? right now they are having a discussion about sharks in New Jersey beaches.

One lady came on and explained how the lifeguards pulled a 3 foot shark with teeth out of the surf and everyone was scared. and animal control officer had to come and take the shark away because of the fear. The Sharks are right beyond the surf line all summer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast