Thread: Rods & Reels

Default Rods & Reels

Like most fisherman I have a bunch of stuff I've acquired over the past few years that I don't use that much or at all anymore.

I will post pictures if anyone is interested.

Reels:

Penn Squall 15 - $115 + $5 to ship New never casted - comes with box and everything that came in the box.

Mounted it to a rod to spool the line and quickly found out I absolutely hated right handed conventionals. Made the mistake of hanging onto it past the return period.

Shimano Saragosa 10k - $175 + $5 to ship - used - comes with box and everything that came in the box

Bought this new when there was a lot of hype about it. Used it a few times when I first got it and its been sitting as a backup reel to the Van Stalls ever since.

It could pass for new and doesn't have anything wrong with it or any scratches.

Rods:

St Croix Mojo 12' Casting rated 6-16oz - $125 - LOCAL PICKUP ONLY

MSC120HMF2 12' H Mod. Fast 2 20 - 60 6 - 16 20.0 9 $ 290

The rod has some condition issues but nothing that would affect fishability . Surface scratches on the blank and a cut in the x-flock right at the rod but. The cut could be covered via one of those $2 plastic but caps.

The rod has a lot of guides and someone at the factory in Mexico did not perfectly align the top three guides (excludes the tip) as they are off center a little. I fished the rod a bunch of times and never noticed it until a friend pointed it out to me. I contacted St. Croix and they said if I shipped it to them they would replace or rewrap the top half of the rod.

This rod is a good spring surf chunking stick and would also do well now in the summer chunking for sharks.

Im selling this one because I purchased a better heaver...a 13' custom Carolina Cast Pro.

St. Croix Avid 11' Casting rated 4-12oz - $125 - LOCAL PICKUP ONLY - This is not the new Avid series...this is the older surf series.

The rod is in good condition with only a few scratches on the blank. Cork grip shows its age.

This is a heavy duty rod with some serious power behind it. A lot of jersey guys still love to chunk with these although all that power comes with a price as this rod is stout.

An overall great rod if your targeting bigger bass or sharks. I am selling this one because I prefer to use my 12’ CCP rod to chunk.

John,, maybe it's just me getting older but I found that hard to read.....
    Hope ya don't mind, I'm reposting it for ya in a larger font.....to give everyone a chance to see what you're selling....
    I see some good deals there...good luck....

Like most fisherman I have a bunch of stuff I've acquired over the past few years that I don't use that much or at all anymore.

I will post pictures if anyone is interested.

Reels:

Penn Squall 15 - $115 + $5 to ship New never casted - comes with box and everything that came in the box.

Mounted it to a rod to spool the line and quickly found out I absolutely hated right handed conventionals. Made the mistake of hanging onto it past the return period.

Shimano Saragosa 10k - $175 + $5 to ship - used - comes with box and everything that came in the box

Bought this new when there was a lot of hype about it. Used it a few times when I first got it and its been sitting as a backup reel to the Van Stalls ever since.

It could pass for new and doesn't have anything wrong with it or any scratches.

Rods:

St Croix Mojo 12' Casting rated 6-16oz - $125 - LOCAL PICKUP ONLY

MSC120HMF2 12' H Mod. Fast 2 20 - 60 6 - 16 20.0 9 $ 290

The rod has some condition issues but nothing that would affect fishability . Surface scratches on the blank and a cut in the x-flock right at the rod but. The cut could be covered via one of those $2 plastic but caps.

The rod has a lot of guides and someone at the factory in Mexico did not perfectly align the top three guides (excludes the tip) as they are off center a little. I fished the rod a bunch of times and never noticed it until a friend pointed it out to me. I contacted St. Croix and they said if I shipped it to them they would replace or rewrap the top half of the rod.

This rod is a good spring surf chunking stick and would also do well now in the summer chunking for sharks.

Im selling this one because I purchased a better heaver...a 13' custom Carolina Cast Pro.

St. Croix Avid 11' Casting rated 4-12oz - $125 - LOCAL PICKUP ONLY
    - This is not the new Avid series...this is the older surf series.

The rod is in good condition with only a few scratches on the blank. Cork grip shows its age.

This is a heavy duty rod with some serious power behind it. A lot of jersey guys still love to chunk with these although all that power comes with a price as this rod is stout.

An overall great rod if your targeting bigger bass or sharks. I am selling this one because I prefer to use my 12’ CCP rod to chunk.

** Any interest, contact J Barbosa.......

Hey jbarbosa I wanted to ask you about the st croix. You said it was a good chunking stick does that mean it is too heavy to throw lures or is there another st croix model that will do plugging better. thanks and good luck with the sale

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    Hey jbarbosa I wanted to ask you about the st croix. You said it was a good chunking stick does that mean it is too heavy to throw lures or is there another st croix model that will do plugging better. thanks and good luck with the sale
    Hi Porgy,

There are two St. Croix's listed for sale here.

The Avid would make a horrible plugging rod as its too stiff and you couldn't load it with a light payload.

In my opinion the Mojo would also make for a horrible plugging rods unless you were looking for a rod to toss monster sized 4oz+ plugs.

either one of this st croix rods would be great large species rods. I wish I had the extra dough I would buy either one.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    either one of this st croix rods would be great large species rods. I wish I had the extra dough I would buy either one.
    I can hold either rod if your seriously interested. I'm not in quick need of the money.

If your serious about sharking from the surf the Mojo is a perfect fit.

I would like to see them go to someone who will use them as they are just sitting right now. The mojo was fished once this spring and the Avid was fished twice a few days after I got into some nicer sized fish.

I can't even remember the last time I used the Saragosa??? Lol

^^^^^^^^Thanks JB. I am tempted to say hold onto that mojo surf but not sure if that is really what I want. Right now my go to rod is my 9' er with a penn 5500. I have a 11'er penn prevail with a penn 8500LL reel- that combo has been able to handle big rays and everything else I have caught with ease. Now I have not hooked into a 150 lb shark but not sure I will, lol!

My 11' prevail is rated to sling up to 6oz so having a rod that can sling more than that may be beneficial, however, if I can't hold bottom with 6 do I really want to be out there anyway?

decisions, decisions...I may want to pick up a 10' rod more for pluggin- not really sure.

So I would say if you can sell it, sell it. Come December if you still have it- I may grab it just because it is a super great deal and I will have some spending money then, unless I grabbed a 10'er....decisions, decisions.....

Closed.

Conventional gear is not as easy to resell

thanks for the chance