Thread: Fly Fishing Deal on reels

Default Fly Fishing Deal on reels

Lamson Litespeed reels are being re-designed and are now offering an average of 30% off on current Litespeed models.

I already own an 8wt and just picked up a 10wt along with a spare spool for each.

Sweet reels and light weight

nice! I used to fly fish all the time- not anymore- but they are beautiful!

Rob,

I was drawn to Lamson for their simplicity and reliability along with a "waterproof" drag I could maintain myself.

jb- I was wondering.....I used to use a 5-6 weight rod....I have never used the larger weighted rods....are they stiffer and easier to cast long line with? or are they just heavier period?

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    jb- I was wondering.....I used to use a 5-6 weight rod....I have never used the larger weighted rods....are they stiffer and easier to cast long line with? or are they just heavier period?
    Dude..I'm new at this stop asking all these hard questions... Lol

I currently own three fly rods.

The 5wt TFO Pro Special/Lamson Konic II combo I find the hardest to cast. I got a Rio 5wt WF line on there. I've been told to over line it by one and this will help. That's on my list of things to try this winter.

The 8wt TFO BVK / Lamson Litespeed combo was what I learned on and the BVK is easy to cast especially when overlined to a 9wt wf. The Rio Outbound short 8wt line casts pretty good. I have a 9wt Wulff monocore gifted to me that casts well and is what I've been using. I have a third line given to me that I haven't had a chance to try cant remember the name.

I just purchased a 10wt TFO Mangrove series / Litespeed combo for use on the kayak. I tried the 10wt BVK and its great to cast but did not have as much power as the Mangrove series. I can sacrifice distance on the kayak as I can just peddle a little closer. I put a 10wt Rio Outbound short on there.

The problem on a kayak is fly rods are built to a standard length usually 9ft in length which is not ideal when trying to land a fish.

Your welcome to try my 8 or 10wt rod.

Hard questions- LOL!

I actually would like to try the 10wt. Maybe we can hook up and I can give you those fish skulls like we talked about at the same time. I love the presentation of fly's that is why I am trying so desperately to come up with a way to fish them with my spinning rod effectively. So far using a keel weight before my leader that leads to the fly works pretty well but if I add a teaser then it changes the dynamics- the teaser will sometimes foul on a swivel or powerclip.
    I just came up with another method this morning moving the weight to just before the last fly- we'll see how she does.

Thant being said- I hope I hate the 10wt flyrod......because if I like it I will have to buy one and that just might cause my wife to murder me lol!

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    Hard questions- LOL!

I actually would like to try the 10wt. Maybe we can hook up and I can give you those fish skulls like we talked about at the same time. I love the presentation of fly's that is why I am trying so desperately to come up with a way to fish them with my spinning rod effectively. So far using a keel weight before my leader that leads to the fly works pretty well but if I add a teaser then it changes the dynamics- the teaser will sometimes foul on a swivel or powerclip.
    I just came up with another method this morning moving the weight to just before the last fly- we'll see how she does.

Thant being said- I hope I hate the 10wt flyrod......because if I like it I will have to buy one and that just might cause my wife to murder me lol!
    rob,

We will definitely get together and we can fish the 8 & 10wt rods. Shoot me a pm w/your cell I know where we can find a bass or two .

I think you will like the 8wt better I know I do. I only got the 10wt for the kayak and really windy days.