Thread: Salmon River Pulaski NY fishing guide offers Salmon River NY guide fishing reports

Default Salmon River Pulaski NY fishing guide offers Salmon River NY guide fishing reports

Big Salmon Run!
    Salmon River Pulaski NY fishing guide offers Salmon River guide fishing reports for salmon steelhead off drift boat on the Salmon River NY.
    1,000's of Salmon have entered the Salmon River NY over the last month and are spread out on the Salmon River Altmar - Pulaski NY. Our last BIG Salmon Run was from Sept. 4-7. Everything is early this year.
    -
    9/14 Fishing Report from this Salmon River Pulaski NY Steelhead Fishing Drift Boat Guide:

Salmon are top to bottom of the Salmon River. Nice flow of fresh Salmon (w/ a few Trout) entering, running, spreading out and holding in the Salmon River NY.
    I used the drift boat on Monday from Altmar to Pineville and visually counted approx. 250 Salmon, plus approx. 100 more that I could not see, but knew they were there. Biggest slug of Salmon ran into the river Sept. 4-7. Plus more over our last month.
    (More detailed Fishing Report, Tip's and Ramblings below)
    -
    Crystal Ball Guide Salmon River Fishing Forecast:
    We will continue to see more Salmon enter, run, spread out and hold in the Salmon River NY. These #'s well increase the closer we get to Oct.
    -
    Today's Guide Salmon Season Fishing Joke:
    This one might give you a lil more space and help the angler to understand in a fun - polite way, that they are standing - fishing uncomfortably too close to you. (One of my personal favorites)
    Sir....., you know....., if you stand any closer to me, we will HAVE to get married
    -
    (See Photo - linked below)
    Nice looking King Salmon. (Fish Released into cooler Congrats!!
    -
    Salmon River NY Fishing Guide Mail Bag:

Randy: Kudos on a fantastic website. Your humor, expertise, and obvious love of people make visiting your site a real treat. I especially like your honesty.
    I've been fishing the Salmon River for 7 or 8 years now and have become fairly adept at hooking into a goodly number of fish - on most trips. Notice that I didn't say anything about LANDING them. That's a totally different issue for me, especially when trying to tail a fish. But I'm getting there.
    I have to admit, however, that I'm still lost on river terminology - what in the world are "pockets and slots???" Is there any chance that in your next series of ramblings, um, I mean discourses and treatise on the finer points of piscatorial pursuits, that you could explain what pockets and slots and other such nonsense really are? Thanks in advance. Jerry
    P.S. One of these days, when my wife ups my allowance, I plan on booking a trip with you. 'Til that day, I'll have to fish vicariously through you and your guests. Keep up the great work.
    -
    Hi Jerry, Im happy to hear you enjoy the web site and also the Salmon River.
    Briefly, a pocket is normally a small hole in the river bottom that acts as a current break for the fish to rest in, as they transition and run up the river. They are normally found in rapids. A slot is also a hole, but is longer, then it is wide. An example of a visible pocket would be directly behind a rock (s), boulder or behind some white water (below pic.). Pockets come in small to large sizes. Best Fish's, Randy
    This is a long run of BIG pocket like stairs that the fish climb. Resting after each step. This angler is hooked up to a Salmon while fishing these pockets.
    -
    This young man landed the biggest Steelhead of anyone fishing around us. Approx. 16 lb'r (Fish Released Congrats!!
    -
    ***The below Fishing Report Post relates nicely to the exact type of Habitat we found them ALL in on Monday. (Approx. 350 Salmon over a 3 mile stretch off the drift boat on the upper end of the Salmon River with hardly another sole around, sssshhh)***
    -
    Monday I took a look around off the drift boat in the upper end of the river on a beautiful sunny day with a celebrity friend. ----------Solitude, lot's of Trophy Salmon. Doesn't get much better! (Well, the company could of been better, yukyuk
    We could see everything. We saw 1's and two's, three's and 4's, pods of 6 and 7's. 50-60 in this spot, another 50-60 in another spot. 100 Salmon here and another 100 over there. Salmon running, holding, rolling, splashing in most of the prime spots.
    All the way down a 3 mile section of the upper river. Almost all spots were holding. It looked more like the end of Sept.
    -
    All the Salmon that entered the Salmon River NY over the last month were the ones we were looking at. That other Larger slug of fish that entered the Salmon River last Wed. thru Sat. are running, spreading out and some will be arriving further up river today.
    They say..... it takes some of those King Salmon approx. 7 days to reach the top while the Cohos can do it in a day.
    Coho Fish Tail:
    Many many years ago I heard this Coho story from Jim Rusher (past owner of Whitakers Sports Shop and Motel)
    He said, there were sooooo many Cohos at the top of the river, that they put them in a truck and drove them back to the bottom of the river and made them run the Salmon River all over again. True story????????
    -
    The surprising part of the day for me was seeing Salmon rooster tail up the shallow rapids during the high noon sun. Only a few anglers out and in one 2 mile stretch we only saw 1 angler that had hiked in.
    What type of Habitat had the highest concentrations? Were they in transition resting? Prime transitional holding? Or Prime non-transitional holding?
    They were in all of them!
    -
    -
    Definition of fishing term's - as it relates to all species of fish in the Salmon River NY:
    Transitional resting - Where the fish rest at temporarily while in a transitional mode. (running the river)
    Prime transitional holding - Where the fish will hold for the entire day (usually mid-day) after they have stopped running that morning.
    Prime non-transitional holding - Where they will sit for an extended period of time (days and sometimes an entire month) before there biological clock tells them to find a mate and special rock.
    -
    Prime Non-Transitional Holding
    Something I ve never written about, but learned many years ago, and ......... thought that you might enjoy
    Studying the fish's biological clock that relates to all species of fish that we fish for over our 8 month season.
    -
    Sooooo, early one Sept. the river floods, know one is fishing. A week later the water recedes to a fishable level and low and behold, thousands of fresh King and Coho Salmon had taken advantage of this high flow and had entered and ran the river.
    There were only a few of us locals and guides that had discovered that all of the prime non-transitional holding waters of the Salmon River were holding 100's of fresh Salmon in each individual piece.
    So, I found a hole in early Sept. in an out of the way place, that had approx. 300 fresh Salmon in it. I knew these Salmon were not going anywhere as they had found a nice spot to hold in until there biological clock told them to hit that special rock.
    This spot had no gravel, but offered them the type of habitat that would offer them everything they needed.
    1. Deep water for safety from predators.
    2. No strong currents so they could comfortable hang, with out exerting to much energy.
    -
    What I noticed was every morning when we would get to this spot early in the dark and wait for legal fishing time, you would here them rolling in the hole and also here the males fighting while splashing on the surface.
    Everyday that went by, getting closer to Oct. 1, you would notice a few less Salmon breaking the surface in the hole. Until finally, around Oct. 1 there were only a few left doing this.
    Randy, ....... BUT, ............ where did they all go to?................... I'm glad you asked
    They all simply moved to that special rock, preparing for the next stage in their lives.
    -
    The average angler would never notice this unless you were standing on your favorite rock, in the dark, everyday-same spot for a month straight, like I did. This same thing happens with our Steelhead in the Spring time.
    -
    The funniest part of this story for me was this hole had no official name, unlike many of the holes on this river. So I named it the $$ money hole.
    I made soooo much darn $$ money guiding on this one spot, in an out of the way place during the entire month of Sept. to fresh Salmon that were not going anywhere ----------that I thought the my name was rather fitting.
    -
    -
    Todays Interesting Guide Tip:
    This tip comes with a money back guarantee!
    -
    Soooo, the lesson for today is there are 3 "basic" ways to locate and target these fish. (1 thru 3, in my opionion. 4-7 is advanced )
    1. When the Salmon are running, fish there transitional resting points as they make there way up the river. Otherwise, you are fishing to fish that are not stopping, decreasing your odds greatly, in my opionion.
    2. Once they stop to hold for the remainder of the day, fish these prime transitional holding waters.
    3. Find these prime non-transitional holding places in the river in Sept. and just fish those. After all, they aren't going anywhere soon.
    4. Find a spot that is a combination of all 1-3. (Or, a spot that has all 3 in close proximity, so you can jump around according to what the fish are telling you to do)
    5. Combine 1-4 and find a place above a looong stretch of rapids. The fish get tired after running these rapids. These fish will be in this spot for the longest period of time, offering you the greatest opportunity, all day!
    6. Combine 1-5 and make sure that your spot has 98% of the fish in a transitional stage, move into it. This will offer you the greatest opportunity!
    7. Combine 1-6 and pick a spot that compresses and or concentrates them. On a dime, like a sardine can, trash can lid or the size of a Volkswagen beetle or bus. This cuts down on all the guess work and allows to to present your offering to all the fish on every drift.
    8. The VERY BEST place to fish? Is anywhere I'm not! - yukyuk
    -
    By utilizing the above, you will have the most fish in front of you for the greatest period of time in a concentrated area offering you the greatest opportunity to present your offering to ALL of them. Fish ON and ON and ON! - Baby!!
    Now you know what I look for normally.....................
    I hope you found "Todays Guide Tip" entertainingly informative or mildly educational.
    -
    Nice lil Brownie. (Fish Released Congrats!
    -
    Today's "Kids" Salmon River NY Test:
    What cfs water flow do we call "a gate"? -- 750 cfs
    What do you call it when a fish smokes you and you lose it? -- Getting Spanked!!!!!!
    When can you legally start to fish in the morning? -- 1/2 hour before sunrise.
    How many Steelhead are you allowed to keep per-day, per person and what size does it need to be? -- 1 steelhead per-person per-day, 21 inch's or bigger. By releasing your Steelhead, it may be a gift to another angler as your fish may have been a gift to you.
    If someone is a reeeeeeally bad fisherman and never catches any fish, what fishing joke can you tell them to make them feel better? -- The way you fish, you'd have a better chance of catching a fish if you took took up golf!
    -
    Group photo celebrating a Trophy Male Steelhead. Congrats!!
    -
    Pulaski NY Water Level Snap Shot:
    Until 11:59 PM today, Sat., 335 CFS
    All published flows are approximate and forecasts are estimates only. Actual flows will vary and can change quickly at any time. Always be alert and wear an approved flotation device. Never go in or near the water until you know and accept the risks you are assuming by being in this area!
    -
    Altmar Pulaski NY Weather Snap Shot:
    Friday A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 56. North wind 11 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
    Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. North wind 5 to 9 mph.
    Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 62. North wind 6 to 9 mph.
    Saturday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 41.
    Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 69.
    Sunday Night A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
    Monday A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 59. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
    Monday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 42.
    Tuesday Sunny, with a high near 62.
    Tuesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 46.
    Wednesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 69.
    -
    These cooler temp's. will certainly help!
    -
    -
    9/10 Ramblings from this
    Salmon Steelhead Fishing Drift Boat Guide, Salmon River Pulaski NY :
    Big Salmon Run entered the Salmon River between 9/4-7, plus all the rest over the last month.
    -
    Steelhead Fish Tail:
    A seasoned S.R. angler friend of mine was fishing down in the DSR recently w/ a friend. They spotted a pod of Salmon making their way up river. It was sunny out and in the bunch of Salmon were 2 steelhead. (These Steelhead are bright silver when they first enter the river and are easy to see, especially when they run by you in the shallow rapids and its sunny) My friend pointed them out to his buddy who was fishing upstream, cast was made and an approx. 16 lb. Steelhead ate it!
    He said that steelhead did a reeeel scream'n run for about 100 feet w/ water spraying off its back. Then decided to do a 4 foot ballistic missile jump showing its colors and then a somersault like a jugglers baton, back to earth's atmosphere before a cinder block splash down. Then it did an incredible tail walk dance across the pool with the sun reflecting off its silvery sides. (Boy, I should be a writer, NOT!
    Fish was gently revived and released for your future fishing pleasure. They also played with a few Salmon and even landed a 10 lb. Brown Trout. (All fish released) Congrats!
    -
    Crystal Ball Salmon River NY Fishing Forecast:
    In my opionion, if your fishing anytime soon, we could continue (?) to see ok #'s of Salmon (with a few Trout) continue to enter the Salmon River and run up it.
    All of those Early Salmon (with a few Trout) that came in, in pretty good numbers that are in the river presently. Would be an option for you.
    1. Some of those are running the river presently, normally during low light periods, as I type this. Then holding during mid-day and then running further during the next low light period.
    2. Some have found a nice prime lye in the river to hold, until there biological clock tell'sm it's time to search out a mate and hit that special rock.
    3. Some of those early runners didn't make it (normal for this early) and are now happily stinking up the river. It's smelling like Salmon Season!
    -
    Sooooo, we have Salmon from the top of the river all the way down. I'd say, 1 here, couple there, few over thataway and none over thisaway stuff. Unless fishing to that BIG group that just entered the river!
    If you like to fish in solitude with a chance to play with one or more of these Trophy Fish, fish mid-week, up river.
    -
    I always get emails at this time of the year asking if there will be fish around towards the end of Sept. and Oct. The answer is YES! Many Many Thousands upon Thousands will be arriving. Then in Nov. you'll see an increase of Steelhead and Brown Trout. All the rest of the Winter into Spring you will have many more Thousands of steelhead to play with.
    After 30 years of Guiding, nothing really ever changes that much
    -
    First mate Matt with a nice big male Brown Trout caught here on the Slam'n Salmon River, NY.
    -
    Todays Interesting Fishing Tip:
    The below happens around approx. Oct. 1 for Salmon, Nov. for Browns and Feb. March and April for Steelhead.
    You will notice the fish starting to pair up. (Males and Females) When you hit a fish in particular spot, make sure to cover that area thoroughly because their will normally be the mate (and more) in the same exact area.
    Have seen and done this a million times.
    Sometimes you will have 4 or 5 Buck's (males) in the same area w/ 1 Female (hen). Remember to always release any females asap if you want to keep catching. She is the bait and the ONLY reason all of those buck's are there. Once she is gone then the bucks have no reason to hang around.
    Kind'a like last call at the bar. Once that last ugly girl leaves, you have no reason to hang around any longer - yukyuk
    -
    Today's "Kids" Salmon River NY Fishing Test:
    What do we call a 1 year old Salmon? -- Jack
    What do we call a 1 year old Steelhead? -- Skipper
    When I say, "special rock". What type of rock am I referring too? -- Gravel-where they will spawn
    -
    New World Record Fish caught in the Salmon River! :O
    Very rare! Only a few run the river every 50 years or so.............
    They migrate up through the N.Y. Thruway using an easy pass.
    State police are looking for the above individual's for leg pulling offenses.
    -
    An optional treat with all of these sunny days would be to sight fish during the mid-day. Another strategy would be to fish ANY water that you can not visually see the bottom. In this water level most fish will consider this type of habitat a prime location to hold.
    (A post I made back in 2000 is below - The relationship between transitional fish and structure during low light periods and bright sun.)
    Another strategy might be to stay out of the slow deep stuff and instead fish above these area's as they run. Fishing there transitional-holding-resting places. All of this and much more is explained below. Such a nice guide
    -
    Once they are in the river it normally takes them approx.7 days to reach the top. They normally run approx. 2-3 miles each day. Some Salmon will stop along the way, spread out and will hold until there clock tells'm its time to hit that special rock. Normally around Oct. 1 approx. They say the Cohos can run the river in a day. We've had some of those enter the river recently also.
    -
    Curtis lands an incredible Brown Trout! Notice the bump on the lower jaw? That tells you its a male. Notice the white mouth? This tells you its a Trout. All Salmon will have a grayish black coloration on the inside of the mouth. Thats the easiest-fastest way for anglers to tell them apart.
    Normally, lots of anglers will land a bright silver Coho Salmon and think its a Steelhead. They sometimes look and fight a lot a like. By looking at the inside of the mouth you can easily tell.
    (FYI - Everyone, please read the Reg. book as it relates to Salmon River NY. Daily #'s you can legally keep per person by species and also size restrictions. Dont want to see any of you getting a "dummy" ticket
    (P.S. The DSR has its own private Regs. Please inquire within.)
    -
    -
    -
    I'd like to send a shout out to all of our service men and women over sea's who come here for a lil escape. Keep up the good work, be safe, we will leave a few fish in the river for you.
    Fishing you all a safe return home!
    -
    Thank you all for your words of encouragement, kind words and continued support. Ill continue to do my best in sharing what I've learned through experience, experimentation, borrowed ideas and taught techniques.
    Stay tuned for more entertainingly informative and mildly educational reports and articles on this never-ending virtual fishing trip with your host Randy "The Yankee Angler" and friends.
    I sincerely hope that what little I've been able to share with you will help you along the path to more enjoyable, safe, knowledgeable fishing.
    Thanks for stopping in and spending your valuable internet fishing time here
    Hope your all enjoying this great fishing!
    -
    May all your door knobs smell of fish.
    -
    The Salmon and Steelhead fishing of your Dreams...... .........we'll make'm Reeeeeeeeeeeel.
    Best Steelhead and Salmon Fish's,
    Salmon River NY Guide and Author Randy Jones
    http://www.yankeeangler.com - Fishing Report Page
    -
    -
    -
    HI Rich/ DarkSkies,
    Thanks for the invitation to post my fish stuff here!
    Best Fish's,
    Randy

Con't. - Salmon River Pulaski NY Guide offers Fishing Reports for Salmon-Steelhead off Drift Boat on the Salmon River NY
    -
    The Post-Standard
    Salmon are suckers for fly fishers' wares
    They'll hit on all types of flies right now.
    -
    By J. Michael Kelly
    Staff writer
    -
    Fly fishing for Pacific salmon in Lake Ontario tributaries isn't as difficult as it appears to non-practicioners. In fact, there are at least three effective ways to go about it you can chuck and duck, rely on a strike indicator or swing a few coneheads through your favorite riffle.
    And don't worry about that burst of jargon; translations are just a few sentences away.
    Keep in mind that the 10- to 30-pound chinook salmon and the smaller but equally feisty coho salmon that swim up the Salmon River and other Great Lakes feeder streams this time of year to spawn can be caught on many things. They are especially vulnerable to artificial flies made of real fur and feathers or synthetic materials such as tinsel and fake hair.
    -
    "They'll hit all sorts of flies," said Fran Verdoliva, the former tributary fishing guide who is now the Department of Environmental Conservation's Salmon River program coordinator.
    Verdoliva is partial to neon-bright, weighted streamer flies, himself. But Mike DeTomaso, the manager of the White River fly fishing department at the Auburn Bass Pro Shops store, takes his share of salmon on small artificial nymphs and fingernail-size yarn puffs called glo bugs. And Pulaski guide Randy Jones generally uses simple flies, made of Estaz tinsel chenille, that closely resemble nothing in nature but seem to irritate salmon into hitting them.
    -
    The three anglers employ different methods and tackle, as well as radically diverse fly patterns.
    Jones' bread-and-butter method is the running line. A running-line expert uses one or more split shot to quickly sink a fly in swift, deep water. Instead of a thick fly line that would retard the sinking rate, the method calls for a thin-diameter line that knifes through the water with minimal drag.
    The running-line method is sometimes referred to as "chuck and duck" because its aficionados have to watch out for the split-shot missiles they're slinging past their own ears.
    Jones contends the rig is perfect for the tumbling, white-water pools and pockets that are common throughout the Salmon River and often ringed tightly by anglers.
    "The quicker your fly gets to the strike zone, any species of fish, anywhere in the world, which is about a foot to two feet above the bottom, and the longer it stays there, the better your odds of catching some fish," said Jones.
    He hands his clients long rods, and instructs them to raise the sticks high immediately after completing a cast. The angler should then follow the line with rod tip held high.
    To facilitate a long drift and improve the odds of landing a hooked salmon, Jones employs either a standard 9-foot, 9- or 10-weight fly rod or a two-handed, 13-foot spey-style fly rod. His leaders usually have 2- to 4-foot-long tippets rated at 10-pound test or lighter.
    -
    DeTomaso likes spey rods, too, but he attaches a bright orange plastic foam bobber onto the butt segment of his tapered leader, and uses only one or two small split shot, either BBs or 3/0-size weights, to dangle the fly directly beneath the float, which is called a "strike indicator."
    With the marble-size indicators he uses, DeTomaso can recognize the most subtle interference with his drifting fly. Any sudden wiggle or wobble of the float may mean that the fly is merely stuck between two rocks, or it could be the start of an epic battle with a biting salmon.
    To put the fly in the spots where salmon rest, DeTomaso relies on a spey rod or a 9-foot-long fly rod and a floating, tapered fly line. Typically, only the lower half of his leader is allowed to sink during the drift; the leader butt and fly line are usually at the surface, making for a smooth pick-up and a quick repeat cast.
    "I get a more natural drift with a strike indicator and I also like the fact that I can use less weight than you do with the running line," DeTomaso said.
    -
    Verdoliva has used both the indicator and running-line tactics to take salmon but now is more apt to employ a weighted fly, a sinker-less leader and a floating line, especially when he's fishing water of medium depths and speeds.
    Traditionally, salmon flies were weighted with wraps of lead or copper wire around their shanks, but Verdoliva now has boxes full of streamers which sport barbell-shaped "lead eyes" or tungsten cones "coneheads" secured just behind the eyes of the size 2 or 4 hooks. These flies sink quickly but are more streamlined and easier to cast than the lead-wrapped patterns of yore.
    "I guess you could say they're fly fishing's version
    of a jig," said Verdoliva. If he has trouble getting one of his weighted flies to the bottom in a given spot, Verdoliva either pinches a small BB shot on his leader, which is usually tapered to about a 12-pound tippet, or puts a short, quick-sinking piece of line called a "shooting head" between his fly line and the leader butt.
    -
    Reprinted with permission, The Post - Standard
    -
    -
    Theory of Skeinitivity
    Average size King Salmon. Caught using a spinning rod w/float and skein.
    -
    Interesting Thought's from a World Traveling Fishing Professional:
    Jeff Pierce - Mustad Hooks
    -
    Jeff, why is it those Salmon come to the Skein so well, when we have all been taught over the years that Salmon do NOT eat when they enter into a river system?
    -
    Theory of Skeinitivity
    I wish I knew but if I had to guess it would have to be scent and taste. I can tell you that there are guys around me using eggs sacs and they catch 1 fish for every 15 that I hook into. There are now some who have watched me these past 3 years hammering fish on skein and are now fishing skein themselves. They use store bought cures and they do pretty well. The cure my buddy from Oregon sends me however out fishes the skein that everyone else is fishing.
    -
    Here's why I think it's scent. Egg sacs put very little scent into the water. Skein is oozing/milking the whole time you're fishing it (and it's moving). If you drift a hole with washed out skein you might not get a bite in 20 drifts. Almost every time you put a fresh piece on and run the same drift, you get a take. The real neat thing is when you miss a fish once or even twice. We have found that that fish (assuming it's that same fish when the float goes down in the exact same spot) will take a chunk of skein repeatedly until they feel the hook. Yesterday I had a bit of a tangle so on two consecutive drifts I could not reel up the slack and set the hook when the float went down in the same spot. I took the time to fix the line, rebaited and ran the same drift. When the float got to the same spot, bam, the float went under and a 25lb hen King was on. Also, if you just let the float go under and do not set the hook the fish will totally swallow the bait. Sunday I was proving the point that the Salmon will eat so when my float went down I did nothing for 10 seconds. I then reeled up the slack and had a nice 20-25lb hen King. When I landed her the line went down her throat and you could not even see the
    hook. We hook several Kings like this. It seems as though once they get a taste they want more.
    -
    I don't think it's aggression because we catch just as many hens as we do males and the hens are rarely aggressive when in the rivers, they leave that up to the males.
    Color - I can tell you that I do best with a deep flame pink/red color but orange does work at times. But, there can be guys fishing egg sacs the same color as my skein and they are not catching fish.
    The area I fish is pretty murky most of the time so they must smell it before they can see it.
    -
    Yes, the fish are "supposed to stop eating" when they hit the river but they are definitely eating the skein. We never foul hook a fish and the fish are not getting flossed as most are hooked well inside the mouth. In the past three years I have introduced several buddies to this fishing and all of them are in complete awe that the Salmon come to this skein so well. They said that they would never have believed the Salmon would eat something so well once in the river if they had not seen it themselves. How can you not be amazed when you hook up 30 or more Kings and Steelhead in 3 or 4 hours of fishing and no one else is catching anything. Yesterday my buddy and I landed a total of 17 fish in 2.5 hours and we only saw 4 other fish landed (all but 1 foul hooked) total among the 20+ other anglers. It's like this every single time we go there.
    -
    You really need to come over here on a day off (if you ever have one to spare) and see for yourself, you'll be amazed.
    -
    -
    Today's Mail Bag: Skein Continuation-
    Hi Randy, I enjoyed the info you posted about fishing with skein and floats. My friends and I have used skein for years and it does trigger salmon hits. Today I fished a backwater pool at Oswego, using the skein and bobber. I caught the same salmon three times (in the mouth each time). It was a fairly fresh male Coho, but I've used skein for trout as well. So much for the theory that salmon don't really hit....
    I enjoy all your postings and yours is the first web site my friends and I look at when we cruise the net.
    Thanks for all the good info.. Fred
    -
    Hi Randy,
    I can add to your article about Salmon Skein fishing. In Alaska (where I guided Kings for 9 seasons) we did a lot of egg and bobber fishing. We also would even troll eggs! It is amazing what those things do to fish. We will use egg sacs early on when we do not have fresh skein, but once the run hits we only use globs of fresh skein, with a little bit of preservative in it. You must keep the eggs cool, and they must be kept clean and not allowed to sit in inches of water and fish slim for best results. Freezing is not a good idea.
    -
    If you get a quiet hole loaded with Kings you can get them in such a frenzy they will hit (yes a mean hit not you snagging them in the mouth) anything that is red colored. I have even watched 30 pounders come out of the water and take our bobber (colored red) under like it was a brook trout eating a dry fly. Egg skein on a quiet hole is amazing. If you keep the fighting fish out of the holding fish you can catch every last one of them out. One day I had guest catch a large male. He had two hooks already in his mouth from break offs only moments before. All of the hooks were on the inside of his mouth, and the size hook we use is a 1/0.
    -
    The egg skein as a King sees it is like a combination of some addictive drug and sex to us (no I'm not a drug user, but I assume from stories it does just stupid things to you). Anyway if you get the stuff in front of a King is amazing in terms of success. We even troll it by snelling a hook and having a jet plane diver several feet infront of that to take the eggs down. Then we just back troll it down a run, hole, or slot, and bang as soon as it gets in front of some big old king you got it going on!
    -
    A huge problem with it is you have to kill a lot of female fish in order to have enough skein to fish all day. IF everyone on the salmon river were to fish skein, I do not think there would be any females getting to the hatchery. It is really sad that lots of female fish have to get harvested because they are going to get used as bait. Despite it's great effect on fishing I think it might have very catastrophic effects on the King fishery on the salmon river. I have not read the rules but is it even legal on the Salmon River? Have you ever tried fishing with it?
    -
    I guess you may not want to use this on the web because many people may actually try using skein, which might be the greatest fish catcher ever, but it also takes the lives of a lot of fish that might otherwise get caught several times and go on to be used as a brood fish.
    Tight Lines, Todd
    -
    Jeff, Fred and Todd, Thanks a bunch for you professional insight on this fish catching technique. Im sure a few folks will try it and have success with it.
    (FYI - Everyone, please read the Reg. book as it relates to Salmon River NY. Egg taking, fish cleaning and egg possession amounts, also if there is anything new Ive missed. Dont want to see any of you getting a "dummy" ticket .
    -
    Today's Fishing Joke:
    Randy, Thanks for all your reports, they are most helpful. Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, but when they lit a fire in the craft, it sank proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it, too. Joe
    -
    My guest, Stan the man with a Trophy 30lb. plus King Salmon. Caught while wade fishing with a fly rod.
    Top Secret Tip for the day: See the rock's out of the water over Stan's right shoulder? We call those Flinestone chairs. I build them to be able to sit down, hold my net and be close to the action. Any place you see these chair's would be a good - guaranteed place to fish. Why would anyone take the time or energy to build them in a bad spot? Some of us have been known to kick them over at day's end so as not to give away a prime spot. (Sneaky lil devils aren't we
    -
    There's no Nookie like Chinookie
    A BIG male King Salmon. Nice underwater head shot. Dont know if Ive ever seen one of these before. Unique view!
    Photo complement's of my client, Karl A. Mueller, III (All fish released for you, your friends and or your children's future fishing pleasure.)
    -
    (See Photo)
    A brightly colored up Male Coho Salmon (ready to eat an angler caught on the Salmon River Pulaski NY.
    This is one of my favorite pictures from my Trophy page.
    Isn't the kype and color markings incredible? We call it a Jimmy Duranty nose. You youngster's may not recognize the name, so google it
    This angler accidentally just happened to end up in its mouth when I took the photo. My client ended up submitting it in a magazine photo contest and won first prize!
    He kept the BMW and all I got was this picture. Darn!
    -
    The relationship between transitional fish and structure during low light periods and bright sun.
    -
    Where to fish? --This covers all species of fish that are in a transitional stage that are entering, running and holding in the river.
    Most fish use the contour of the bottom, deepest water and current to navigate. They travel virtually the same route, day after day taking a lot of the guesswork out of it. Normally the deepest part of the river is where they will travel. Once you've made this determination, the next step is to search out their holding, resting points. The length of time they will normally hold in any particular type of structure is determined by the size of the hole, qaulity of the current break, pocket, depth, speed of water, stage of life and what they had to travel through to get to that point. Also fishing pressure and weather is a consideration. To narrow your search down for one of the best spots, consider any deep water just above a long stretch of rapids. (These fish get tired from running the rapids and are looking for a nice place to rest.) These normally are the tails of pools were there is rippled water and depth to offer security, and a break from stronger currents. These are the areas were they will be for the longest period of time allowing you the most shots. To improve your odds even further, look for channels or areas where the majority of fish travel and hold in a small area of the tail end of the hole. Not only will you have 95% of the fish passing by in a narrow area offering you the opportunity to present your bait or fly to almost every fish, but you'll also have them sitting in front of you for the longest period of time, allowing the best odds in the house for hooking up! I call these areas funnels. Other areas to look for are heads of pools, white water on a sunny day. Depressions on the river bottom were they could hide underneath the faster current. Pocket water, surrounded by rapids.
    Remember to fish the resting, holding areas during the run, which is normally during low light periods. Look (fish) for them in the shade, deep rippled water, white pocket water during the high noon sun. If heavy fishing pressure is present, fish for them in the white water.
    (See all Photo's - linked above)
    The fish hold-rest in the deep tail of this pool after running the rapids below. Also under the deep fast white water at the head of this pool.
    (Photo)
    Its hard to see but this angler's spey rod is doubled over with a King. Notice all the white water he is fishing with the bright sun overhead?
    (Photo)
    Another angler hooked up in the HEAT. An area loaded with big boulders, pocket water, surrounded by white water.
    (Photo)
    This pool has depth and fast white water to make it a prime lie for ALL species of fish, anytime of the day, anytime of the season.
    (Photo)
    This is a long run of BIG pocket like stairs that the fish climb. Resting after each step. This angler is hooked up to a Salmon
    (Photo)
    Notice the white water and SHADE.
    (Photo)
    The fish run out of this hole and rooster tail up the right side of photo. At top of rapids there are 2 slots. Both are used by the fish to rest and navigate. This spot offers the observant angler an opportunity to site fish, as they slowly work their way up the slots. These slots are 4 feet wide by 30-40 feet long. While they normally do not stop completely in these slots, its still an example of how transitional fish run up the deepest part of the river. Then rest once at the top.
    (Photo)
    Another prime lie for transitional fish. Shade, white water, depth, offering them safety and a place to rest in the hole.
    -
    With the high 1 o'clock sun most fish were spending the middle of the day in shade covered water, underneath the fast oxygenated white pocket water or the deeper darker holes.
    Hope this helps in your fishing adventures!
    Randy
    -
    The Salmon and Steelhead fishing of your Dreams...... .........we'll make'm Reeeeeeeeeeeel.
    -
    -
    -
    HI Rich/ DarkSkies,
    Best Fish's,
    Randy

Default Con't. - Salmon River Pulaski NY Guide offers Fishing Reports for Salmon-Steelhead off Drift Boat

Monster Salmon pulls angler into Salmon River!
    Reprinted with permission - Syracuse Gazette, Chatham, N.Y. - Mike Cilly- Outdoors Writer
    -
    (See Photo)
    Guide Randy Jones risks his own safety by attempting to lasso a client with net to keep him from being dragged into river by monster fish.
    -
    In the above photo Wayland is tied into a monster Salmon that by size more resembled the Loch Ness monster than the usual autumn King. Wayland yelled, "Help Randy, I've got a monster on here and its pulling me into the river." (best to imagine this panicked cry done in a Scottish brogue) "I canna' hold 'er much longer Cap'n. HELP!"
    -
    In my attempt to keep Wayland from being pulled into the river by this world record Salmon, with no thoughts for my own safety and well-being, I threw the net over his head. Unfortunately the fish was too strong and my guest too weak from the battle. Despite my best efforts to save him, all was lost when suddenly my net handle broke! In went Wayland into the deep, angry white water rapids. He did a perfect belly flop but still managed to hang onto the rod.
    -
    As one eyewitness reported later, "Between the strong deep currents and this beast of a fish, all we could see was his rod tip sticking out of the water by a foot as it started downstream." Witnesses fishing further down reported that Wayland was able to briefly gain his feet for a short time and ski behind the demonic salmon. However, it appeared that after skiing over several large boulders he lost his footing on an old roe sack discarded by a bait fisherman and resumed his submerged journey. Last sightings reported seeing his baseball cap surrounded by little tiny bubbles headed at a high-rate of speed towards the open water of Lake Ontario.
    As a professional guide of the highest moral and ethical standards, I am extremely worried about this situation involving my former client.
    Therefore, if anyone finds a old gaffer in a water-logged ball cap zipping around the river tight to a monster Salmon but still with his tip up, please email...I would like to get my net back.
    -
    Countless people have been guided by me and most have gone on to live normal lives.
    -
    My newest endorsed referral guides are Heather and Treasure. They wore something very special for my first official report for all of you.
    (See Photo)
    Two incredible reason's you should use Mustad Hook's, the b-est there is!
    -
    Hi randy, i was curious, is your mustad hooks rep available to meet. =] larry
    -
    Yes, you must drive a Bentley and own at least a 50 foot Bertram Yacht. Randy
    -
    (See Photo)
    If I'm not available to guide you, then you can request to be guided by Treasure
    -
    (See Photo
    My guest Clint with a nice fresh Fall Steelhead, ready for the smok'r.
    -
    (See Photo)
    My guest Ron, with A HONK'A of an approx. 16 lb. Steelhead. Congrats Ron!
    -
    (See Photo)
    Today was Tom's first time ever fishing for steelhead. My guest Tom with a 16 lb. Steelhead. Congrats!! (Released for your future fishing pleasure)
    -
    In case some of you have not noticed, I sometimes try to cover my tracks and protect your honey hole by brushing or whiting out the background of certain seasonal hot spots. Would you believe that some people are actually right clicking on the images to see if I use the name of the spot to name the jpg? (This one I did)
    They would also make a copy of my pictures and then walk into a tackle shop up here in Pulaski NY and ask the shop clerk where this picture was taken. So with many many thousands of individual viewers per day that landed on my website, I would almost always white out the back ground, to protect YOUR favorite fishing hole. I would never want to be called a spot burner. So in this "secret spot" I had a lil fun and whited out the drift boat, guide and his clients. If your interested in learning the name of this spot, I used the name of it for the .jpg. Go ahead and right click on it.
    (See Photo)
    We banged them pretty good in this spot today. Sorry I can't reveal it's secret location to you.
    -
    (See Photo)
    One of my favorite secret spots to fish. Im sure know one will be able to tell where its at, after I whited out the background
    -
    (See Photo)
    My guest Dave, with a reeeel nice Steelhead!
    (If any of you are fishing the Salmon River and you see Dave fly fishing, make sure you give him plenty of room, I've seen how he cast's.) yukyuk
    -
    Would you believe a couple of years ago there were actually people taking office bet's on my guest's fish totals for the next day? Everyone would throw in a buck and guess how many fish they thought my guest's would hit the next day. I didn't mind the betting so much as I did wondering when my cut was going to arrive in the mail.
    -
    -
    OK, Ill be the bad guy that talk's about something no one likes to talk about.
    If this tip-post saves one person's life, causes you to think twice before blindly wading out into the river, stops you from crossing, then it well be well worth my time and energy in writing it.
    -
    Sometimes you can NOT cross the river and need to be EXTRA careful while wading. Keep an eye on the waterline water level forecast as they could change. Also keep in mind that what they are forecasting could be different then actual flows..
    -
    Safety while crossing:
    We all know how to basically wade, cross the river, what to wear to be safe in the water, gear, etc...But, one thing I have not read anywhere on any internet site is concerning safety while crossing a river is this.
    Safety is my number one rule while by myself or with others. I cross the river almost daily with guest's in the dark (Providing I know the level, where to safely cross, which I do). I get paid to know my stuff and our lives depend on it. When I cross the river with other's there is one way that I have found to be critical or crucial to being as safe as possible. There is no other safer way that I am aware of.
    -
    It begins with me standing upriver of my guest's. They line up below me, so I can break some of the current for them. We do NOT use wading staff's using this method. Spikes and a wader belt are critical. Once we are lined up I explain that you should NOT pick up your back foot until you are 100% sure your front foot is rock solid. If not, just say hold up and we all stop until your comfortable. Before we cross we all get a very good grip on the person's shoulder. NOT the back of his shirt, not locking arms.
    I personally find this too restrictive and if the person goes down I'd rather have a hold of his shoulder. Also, by locking arms I tend to step on the persons foot next to me,(ouch) and not grabbing onto the back side of his shoulder. (This will throw that person off balance should you need to really use it for balance and support.)
    -
    By holding onto the persons shoulder while crossing you have what I call 4 wheel or if 3 people, 6 wheel drive. It is 100% safer than crossing by yourself, even with the use of a wading staff. I am constantly amazed when I see a group of people crossing the river in a dangerous spot all by themselves? Personally, I would rather have 4-6 legs to help me cross and feel comfortable than just 2.
    We also wade VERY slowly. This is critical to your safety and being able to re-adjust your position, balance. If you need a lil help you have the other persons shoulder you are holding to help balance. By going across in a line the top person breaks the current for everyone else. This crossing technique is one in which I rarely, if ever see other's use, so with the past 9/30/2005 drowning, I figured now would be a good time to suggest it. This technique does NOT mean that you can cross the river any ol place and or cross it when the water is too high for the specific spot you are crossing. I set limits on spots and water levels, to cross or not.
    I will not risk my life for a fish and neither should you. So next time your crossing, grab onto your friends shoulder or cross with someone else. Put the wading staff away. I personally want ALL of my attention on my feet while being able to use the other persons shoulder if need be for balance or support and not shared with a wading staff. (Staff's can also be a tripping or stepping onto them hazard)
    -
    I never have claimed to know it all so Im sure there are other good ways to cross also. If you feel safe and secure doing it your way then I'd stick with it.
    If you are by yourself than a wading staff, spikes and wading belt are an invaluable crossing aid combined with knowledge of all aspect's of the river, water level, etc....
    -
    If this tip saves one person's life, causes you to think twice before blindly wading out into the river, stops you from crossing, then it well be well worth my time and energy in writing it.
    Thank you for your valuable time, Randy Jones
    -
    -
    Randy,
    Just a quick, but truly appreciative and sincere thank you, for giving us (your faithful readers!) pointers on how to cross the river safely. My friends and I fished the Little Black Hole last November for Steelhead. One disturbing thing that caught my eye was a marker on an island where some poor, unfortunate fisherman drowned. Don't think that wasn't a reality slap on what could happen to any one of us! I couldn't get that tragic image out of my mind. Your advice may very well save even one life, and it will have been well worth sharing with us. Sincerely, Jim
    -
    *** If you do fall in, Valuable Tip ***

Randy, Not sure if you'll have the time to speak to this but, one area I have not seen covered is what to do should you fall into a dangerous area. Most of what I have learned involved a couple simple things. 1 get your feet heading down stream, below you, and get on your back and float. That way you can see downstream and kick off any obstacles or possibly grab on as you go by. If you are heading downstream you could hit your head on a rock etc. You do not want to try and swim until you float into a safe area or can be grabbed by someone nearby. Just a thought and thank you for the web site. Keep safe and thanks again, Andy
    -
    Thank you very much for helping out Andy! Myself and many more folks that visit here will certainly gain from your advise. I know I will. Best Fish's, Randy
    -
    -
    Mail Bag:
    hi my names anthony i live in rome ny and i go up to the river almost every weekend your web site has helped me ALOT so i just wanted to say thanks and im 15 so i have school and my homework tonight was to write a poem and i did it on the river and here it is i hope u like it.
    -
    The Altmar Salmon
    Many fish go up to spawn
    And many Anglers come along
    with their poles.
    and their gear
    Some might even bring a beer.
    As the river Twists and Bends...
    As the drift boats come and go
    the fishermen will move back slow..
    When a fish gets a hook
    All the fishermen will take a look..
    as the real goes screaming by
    in a fight not to Die..
    Some of the fish may touch the sky.
    Soon the day will start to end
    but another one will come again
    By Anthony Darcangelo
    -
    Nice one Anthony, I hope you get a good grade for that one. I liked it. You are a pretty good writer. Want a job? Thanks for adding a smile to a lot of fisherman's faces with your poem. Best Fish's, Randy
    -
    Another techie question, any thought on what to do when the fish just goes to the bottom and sits there? I had one that started a run and then decided to sit in the bottom of a pool, since I am using 10-lb. leader you cannot horse it. Thanks, Jay
    Hi Jay.
    Briefly, If the Salmon gave you a good head shake when first hooked, normally it’s in the mouth and it’s a waiting game. I always get even or below the fish and bend my rod down stream (The down and dirty) This puts the maximum amt. of side pressure on fish and helps tire it sooner. If the fish is accidentally hooked in the dorsal fin it will sit there forever and not move. It’s like your hooked to a rock. These fish are big so if its in the mouth its a waiting game.
    -
    Again, Dave has exquisitely written an inspiring piece.
    -
    It's not about the lump of fish flesh at the end of the line. It's stepping into the slot....roaming over the spot with your eyes. Picking up a break in the current, a rip on the edge, a foam line. You imagine that big steelie or king laying in there....gills flaring...KING of the run...queen of the hole....
    You measure it up...strip off some line.....open the fly box...what will swim out and down to this fish...that I DREAM is holding tight to the rip. I think if I swing this spey through there he might jump it...like a thug in a back alley. You hear the click of the reel as you pull off the line. In seconds you've made a perfect roll cast to the point in the river that will allow that amount of line to load up and swing into the spot. As the line swings...the rush of water grows louder in your ears...like THUNDER rolling out of a valley...you expect the water to explode, your good at this...you know you've guessed right....the fly picks up speed, and starts to swing...you hear the tick ticking of the time bomb...AC/DC's HELL'S BELLS "GONG" going off echoing into the canyon walls....
    And then it happens...just like you dreamed it...your bug is assaulted by a 10 pound silver missile....your rod throbbing forward...bucking out of control...fish tumbling down stream like a break away avalanche....that high pitched wine enveloping your ear drums is the sound of your reel...
    -
    Moments later you lead a tired weary fish into a slow eddy...it's 38 degrees out, light snow falling...but you still have to wipe the sweat off your brow....what a dance you just had with this fish. Deep in the corner of his mouth, is the bug...the one YOU invented...the colors and materials you chose....he ate it real good. You back the fly out....and gently revive this warrior...a twinkle in your eye as he swims off...a job well done....all your emotions played out on the rocks of the river.....
    -
    Dave, thanks for inspiring us all.
    -
    -
    Salmon River Baptism:
    Dr. Howard Beemer did a swan dive into the deep dark, fish filled waters of the river today. Everyone clapped and gave him scores of 6's and 7's for style and grace. Howard did feel a lil slighted on the scores. He thought it was at least a solid 10. There was so much water in Howard's waders that when he regained his composer, the water level of the river dropped by at least a foot. After he dumped all the water out of his waders, the water level went back to normal.
    I snuck the below picture before Howard saw me.
    After he noticed the flash of the camera from across the river, he hollered, HEY RANDY and gave me a not so flattering salute. (he-he)
    -
    Coupl'a fun Salmon Highlight's from Years Past:

Sept. 30th
    Sept. came to a close with a bang!! 2000-3000 Fish ran all day long through the D.S.R.!!! The catching was none stop! These fish were on fire as last nights rain brought the water level up and a tad off color. Jim LaRoche and brother David could not finish their drift without hooking up.
    Memories of last Year filled my mind, as the bottom of the hole was moving, BLACK with fish. This was Dave's first Salmon River experience. I told him to expect the same during Steelhead season. Ha.
    Normally what we do is called fishing. Today what we did was not called fishing it was called catching and catch we did!
    -
    10/4
    Todd was honored and flattered to receive the distinguished award of being the first person I know of to fall in the river 4 (that's not a typo) 4 times in a day while tight to a fish!
    When interviewed at the awards ceremony he was asked, what happened?
    His response was, well, I fell but didn't think of the cold water up to my chin, or the cold water hitting my private parts. All I could think of was, I've got to land this fish! So I jumped up and was rewarded with the biggest Salmon of my life!
    He then added; if I had to do it all over again, I would!
    Stay tuned for more on this never-ending fishing trip with your host and guide, Randy Jones.
    -
    Fish Tail's:
    Im planning on making a BIG time investment for next years Salmon Fishing. I will be offering E-Commerce products from this site. The first item will be a custom autographed pair of Salmon River Baptism - "Adult Water Wings".
    All of my clients will be expected to wear them for next year. My guests who fell in this year will be required to wear 2 on each arm next year while fishing.
    -
    -
    The following is a post that made me grin ear to ear. Well written, accurate and coming from a pro. Dave gave me permission to copy it and re-post with my report, as it is too educational to only be seen on 1 site. Thanks Dave!
    -
    Guiding nearly 20 years, for trout and salmon, and fishing kings from here to Alaska. Saying that kings will not take a fly or bait is as wrong as saying water isn't wet. No non-believer can debate me on this. If you swing the right fly to the right fish, he or she will take the fly. They will move to it.
    -
    Just had a 32-pound buck king move four feet for a purple leach on Friday. But he didn't take....Ahhh..but he was lit up on that fly for what ever reason...so on the next swing that was a foot in front of him...he pounded it just like an NK spoon...or a cut bait off a rigger rod....and I’ll tell you a take like that is just about the most exciting thing a stream angler can witness.
    -
    Next up another buck looked at a goo bug four times...fifth time the king moved two feet ...six feet before the fly swung down by him...and he flared his gills...saw the black and white flash of his mouth open...felt the tick and the fish was on. A very subtle take...but the fish positioned himself into the path of the fly as he picked it up in the low clear water. This is just two examples of how I've legally caught king salmon that CHOSE to take my offering.
    There really is absolutely no debate on if a king salmon will take a fly.
    -
    Now the other side of the story. I fished from 6:30 AM, until 5 PM last Friday. I'm sure I swing flies to well over 100 salmon. I had 14 takes by fish that CHOSE to chase and slam...or slip and sip my flies. Ten and half-hours of fishing 14 bites. 100's of fish...90 %of them not biting. So I will be the first one to agree that king salmon are not an easy fish on the fly....or spin tackle for that matter. But they can be had...if you are persistant, and you work on your presentation. Swinging a fly right into the lips of a king salmon is not the right presentation. Why???? Fish loses the fly in his sight range...just as if I shoved a fly right up to your nose...cane you see it better on the tip of your nose...or a foot in front of you....and fish have eyes on the side of their head. You must present your bait on the swing in front of the fish by several inches to get his full strike zone as the fly swings in and past the fish.
    -
    Not all king fishing is sight fishing...what do you do then. You watch the water...often you can see fish swimming around in a hole. That is an important factor. Fish moving around...more often tend to be the biters. I walk by most guys trying to drift who are running slinkies...and all kinds of shot. In very cold water just above freezing...fish will be on bottom...but trout and salmon don't tip down to feed. Their best strike zone is 8 inches to two feet off bottom. This time of year ...I may run no more then one to three micro shot three/four feet above the fly. However if I don't get bites...before I add more weight...I throw more mends in my line as I land my cast. This will reposition my fly. If the water is heavy...then I may have to add more weight.
    -
    Linning FISH. This happens to every body whether they are trying to or not. You have a run or a hole with 50 kings in it...your going to make contact with fish. It's pretty much a given. If you are foul hooking them in the back....your fly is riding too high...add a little more weight...or throw more mends. When I say add more weight....I mean one more shot...of the same size..or one size up. If your foul hooking under the fish...your to low. Anglers that are trying to catch fish really don't want to snag them.
    -
    The fight is exciting...but the challenge is in making the perfect presentation...selecting the right fly to get a VERY VERY difficult fish to take. And I realize that's my big bang out of this...many people are all about how many they catch...how big...I'm not here to knock that, but your NOT going to get 50 or 100 kings to bite a day...that would be very rare...I couldn't get that many to bite in Alaska a day...with out any other pressure for 60 miles on a river. So I can't disagree with the folks that say they don't bite often...your right they don't...BUTTHEY ABSOLUTELY BITE...that is just a plain cold hard fact.
    -
    Personally ... I don't care to land more then five or 10 a day on fly tackle...it gets to be work after awhile. But I really don't care about numbers. You'll notice however I mentioned numbers at the top of this report...because I do keep track for my records....and I take notes to learn things. The more anglers...and the more anglers tossing heavy weight...and ripping the water....the less% of fish will bite...pure and simple. You get into quiet water and you have fish to fish to that aren't stressed...and you can't CATCH them, then you aren't making the right adjustments. It's that simple. You can't stand on top of these fish, yell scream and toss downrigger cannon ball weights at the fish and expect to get bites.
    -
    Countless others who fish kings know what I'm talking about, know I speak the truth. You non-believers ...you have that right. The weakest excuse I hear these days is it's the state of New York’s fault. They taught us to snag long ago...cause salmon don't bite they must be right. Hell NYS just copied Michigan. We had no idea what to do...so we went with the pack....well Michigan found out they screwed up and fixed the snagging problem 15 years ago, they fish there now. They just did a fly fishing show from the Pier Marquette' last week on ESPN. It's just a plain simple fact the fish will bite. It's also a fact the kings are not push overs.
    -
    One last comment...those who think it's a mess out there because we have pacific salmon...and if we had Atlantic’s...we'd be hauling them in like yellow fin tuna...have NEVER done much Atlantic salmon fishing. If you think Kings are tough....you ain't seen nothing till you've watched a pool of 100 Atlantic’s refuse flies for 10 DAYS. Spawning Atlantics are about the MOST difficult fish to get a bite from while they get ready to reproduce.
    -
    Thanks again Dave, for a great post!
    -
    -
    I'd like to send a shout out to all of our service men and women over sea's who come here for a lil escape. Keep up the good work, be safe, we will leave a few fish in the river for you.
    -
    Thank you all for your words of encouragement, kind words and continued support. Ill continue to do my best in sharing what I've learned through experience, experimentation, borrowed ideas and taught techniques.
    Stay tuned for more entertainingly informative and mildly educational reports and articles on this never-ending virtual fishing trip with your host Randy "The Yankee Angler" and friends.
    I sincerely hope that what little I've been able to share with you will help you along the path to more enjoyable, safe, knowledgeable fishing.
    -
    May all your door knobs smell of fish.
    -
    -
    -
    -
    HI Rich/ DarkSkies,
    Best Fish's,
    Randy

Very cool info thanks for sharing!

Thank you for the info Randy and welcome to stripers and anglers. You seem like you know a lot look forward to your future posts.

I saw Randy's reports and noticed how instead of just hyping himself he was a pretty generous guy with advice, tips, and words of wisdom gained by many years on the water.

Someone said his posts are as long as mine.....we'll have to see about that....

I do feel that he has a lot to offer, and if you are considering a trip to the rivers up North for salmon fishing, why not check out the link to his site and services.....
    www.yankeeangler.com
    he really seems to have a passion for what he does....

Let's give Randy a warm welcome!

Welcome aboard Randy look forward to your posts and reports.

Hi Randy welcome to stipers and anglers and thanks for the info about salmon fishing.

Welcome Randy

Thanks for your more than kind and generous words!
    -
    Tuesday off the drift boat I counted over 100 in 1 area, next spot 50 andthen approx. 75 in the last. Some of these were packed in like sardines.You could have walked across there back's (seriously) Most were sprinkledabout in all the usual places over our 3 mile drift boat trip. Many in transitionalholding, most in "prime Holding". Floated upper end, Altmar to Pineville.Not many anglers out mid-week, we fished all by ourselves all day. (In 3spots fished we could not see a single other angler fishing the River More fish coming daily, ye-haa!
    Randy

I have always heard of Pulaski. It is definitely a destination on my bucket list. Welcome aboard!

Hey welcome to the site and thank you for sharing the reports!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Jones View Post
    Thanks for your more than kind and generous words!
    -
    Tuesday off the drift boat I counted over 100 in 1 area, next spot 50 andthen approx. 75 in the last. Some of these were packed in like sardines.You could have walked across there back's (seriously) Most were sprinkledabout in all the usual places over our 3 mile drift boat trip. Many in transitionalholding, most in "prime Holding". Floated upper end, Altmar to Pineville.Not many anglers out mid-week, we fished all by ourselves all day. (In 3spots fished we could not see a single other angler fishing the River More fish coming daily, ye-haa!
    Randy

Good report Randy thank you. How late in the season do you fish until?

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    Good report Randy thank you. How late in the season do you fish until?
    - I'll be out there now until the end of Oct. for Salmon, then Nov. 1 Ill start targeting Steelhead - all Winter into the end of April. Best Fish's, Randy

Thanks Randy. Checked out your site nice layout.

Welcome aboard thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Salmon River Pulaski NY fishing guide offers Salmon River guide fishing reportsfor salmon steelhead off drift boat on Salmon River NY
    -
    9/23 Ramblings from this Salmon River NY Steelhead Fishing Drift Boat Guide:

Holy Cow-a-bunga!!
    1,000's of Salmon have entered the Salmon River NY over the last month andare spread out from the top all the way to the bottom of the Slam'n SalmonRiver Altmar - Pulaski NY. Our last BIG Salmon Run was from Sept. 4-7. Everythingis early this year. Everyday in the lower river we have had either a slow,ok, steady, reeeeeelly good # of Salmon (w/ a few Trout) entering, runningand holding thru out the entire River. Everyday over the entire length ofthe Slam'n Salmon River these King Salmon, Coho Salmon, Steelhead and BrownTrout are in 3 specific places.
    -
    Fish Tails?
    This just in!
    Rare Migratory Whales and Seals have been sighted off the mouth of the SalmonRiver in Pulaski NY on Lake Ontario eating our Steelhead and Salmon! (AssociatedPeeeess)
    (Please see photo's Fishing Report link below)
    -
    Biggest complaint from ALL anglers presently fishing on the Salmon River NY!
    1 experienced angler hooked up 30 and landed 1. This is the 1 common denominatoramongst all anglers presently. Everyone is telling me, Randy, we played w/a few and lost them all. Randy, we hooked up a lot, but could only land acouple of them. Randy, I hooked up a lot today, and only landed 1 or none.
    Getting one of these fish on, is sometimes the easy part. Fighting and tryingto land a big'ol powerful freight train pulling bus well keep you on yourtoes and hopefully not on your back! These fish are big and powerful andwell put even the most experienced angler and equipment to the test. Thatswhy we love these Slam'n Salmon River Kings and Cohos!
    -
    Today's Fishing Tip:

Please re-read my complementary fishing reports, Tips, Articles as they relateto Salmon. They all have relevant info. that is still pertinent now (Sucha nice guide - yukyuk)
    -
    Crystal Ball Fishing Forecast:

We will continue to see many more 1,000's of Salmon enter, run, spread outand hold in the Salmon River NY. These #'s well increase the closer we getto Oct. and after.
    (After 30 years of guiding, things never reeeeelly change that much
    -
    From the Row'rs Seat:
    Sunday, Monday, Tuesday Wed. Thurs., off the drift boat I counted over 200in 1 area, next spot 50, then a couple, then 5-6, then 1 or 2, then another100 and then approx. 75 or so in the last spot, etc... etc... over 3 milesof River.
    Some of these were packed in like sardines. You could have walked acrossthere back's (seriously) Most were sprinkled about in all the usual placesover our 3 mile drift boat trip. Not many anglers out mid-week, (this hasall changed) we fished all by ourselves all day. In 3 spots fished we couldnot see a single other angler fishing the River
    I'd highly recommend to come up and fish now!! Ye-Haaaaa - Fish On, Baby!!!!
    -
    Definition of fishing habitat term's - as it relates to all species of fish in the Salmon River NY:
    Transitional resting - Where the fish rest at temporarily while in a transitional mode. (running the river)
    Prime transitional holding - Where the fish will hold for the entire day(usually mid-day) after they have stopped running that morning.
    Prime non-transitional holding - Where they will sit for an extended periodof time (days and sometimes an entire month) before there biological clocktells them to find a mate and special rock.
    -
    Up river presently, there are a few here and there, trickling up into thetemporary transitional resting spots. More are in the prime transitionalholding waters. And as usual for this time of year, most are in the "primenon-transitional holding area's.
    Transitional resting - some here and there sprinkled about everyday running.
    Prime transitional holding - Im seeing more fish in these, mid-day, everyday.
    Prime non-transitional holding - Most of the Salmon are in these, along with most of the anglers.
    If you dont like crowds over the next few weeks, avoid these easily accessible Prime non-transitional holding spots. Instead, go for a lil walk up or downthe river from these area's and you'll be pleasantly surprised at all thefish you will have all to yourself. Thats how I do it, ssssshhh!
    -
    Guide Humor and lil Tip:
    When I see these, easily accessible Prime non-transitional holding spotsloaded up with fish and anglers. I sometimes think that maybe some fishingfolks think these fish are air lifted by a helicopter in a BIG net and thendropped into these places.
    They actually have to run from the bottom of the river to the top. They usethe depth of water and current to navigate there way up river. So by goingfor a lil walk above or below these popular and crowded area's during "primetime" and finding there route and resting locations.
    You can have a reeeeeel nice fishing time all by yourself on even the busiest day up here. Thats how I do it
    -
    I sincerely hope this helps you to understand the movement of fish a lil better and hopefully catch'a bunch!
    -
    These fish are BIG!
    On a funny net note - Up here, if you fish here long enouph, you will seeanglers useing a small net. The netter usually takes 20 swipes at the fishbefore they get it into the net and thats ONLY if they dont fall in the waterwhile trying. (sound familiar?)
    Then, the nets are soooo small and our fish are sooooo big, that normally they can only fit the head of the fish in the net.
    Then, sometimes the fish will break the mess netting and fall completelythru it back into the water, losing it and then you get to listen to theangler curse out his fishing buddy for -------- it all up (this site is ratedpg
    Or, what I find even funnier is when they do finally scoop up that fish andare as proud as a peacock, due to the weight of the fish, the net handlebreaks in two.
    Never a dull moment on this river!
    (I was new once too and the above was written in fun. I use Cumming Nets)
    -
    On a funny note from last week:

My celebrity guest new ever pebble in the river. I anchored in a spot calledthe - hole. My friend didn't know about it so I figured I'd explain it tohim and why it was such a nice lil hole. See that long stretch of rapidsbelow us? Those fish get tired running those rapids and this is the firstspot they come to, to rest. The hole is the first current break. See allthose BIG boulders above this hole breaking the current? Thats your secondcurrent break. I then rowed over to the hole so we could take a peek intoit, to see how many Salmon were in it. Would you believe we didn't see one!
    I had to chuckle to myself after I just went thru how good this lil hole was. Guess its like a box of chocolates out there sometimes
    -
    Salmon Q. Mail Bag:
    HI Randy: Carl and I are scheduled to fish with you and we wanted to getsome tippet to fish the day after guiding with you ahead of time. What tippetwould you suggest. Thanks! Steve
    -
    HI Steve,
    Great Question and one that I find many angler's don't fully understand andor understand the incredible importance of it all. It took me many yearsto understand and "implement with success" all of the below. One of the simplestpart's of rigging can sometimes be the most overlooked (important) whichcan easily cause no fish or very few. The average angler never ever realizesthis because they do not see what the fish are doing under the water. Or,they never experiment (like I have) when they are ON fish or have a presenceof fish to determine the correct answer. I've written many times about thissubject due to the importance of it all.
    You can use mono or floro. I normally use mono for Salmon and Floro. for Steel.
    Mono tippet- leader 8, 10, 12 and 15. Pound test used is determined by manyfactors. Since I like to be prepared for any and all variables or factors,I like to carry all of these pound test's. If I knew exactly where youwere going to fish, the speed, depth, clarity of water, # of fish present,major run, lil run or just the odd fish here and there, weather, educationlevel of fish during all hours of the day, # of anglers fishing around you,etc.. I would know better what pound test to recommend to you. Since I dontand you may not either than I'd get a lil of all.
    Floro. - In the same pound test.
    Most anglers dont realize all of the factors I use to determine the properpd. test. We can go into this much further on our day out to simplify itall.
    Being off by just a few pound's or MUCH less can make a BIG difference. Believe or not.
    ****Anytime you can disguise what your fly/bait or lure is tied too, anyspecies of fish, anywhere in the world, the fish are normally easier to fooland catch. This can be done in many ways. But first, I ask myself about 10questions to determine tippet (leader) strength. By this one single incorrector correct determining factor it could mean no fish, 1 fish or a dozen fish.******
    Thanks, Randy
    -
    Steelhead
    If you like fishing for steelhead during the Winter, (Nov. thru April) please stop back.
    • Winter Steelhead On The Salmon River
    By Randy Jones - The Salmon River is located in Pulaski, New York on LakeOntario's Eastern Shore. Its reputation for large runs of fish of incredibleaverage size is unsurpassed by any other fishery in New England.
    -
    • Gearing Up For Winter Steelhead
    By Randy Jones - The Fall Steelhead comes into the river for one reason.
    -
    • Angling Tactics For Winter Steelhead
    By Randy Jones - Besides all the other pieces of the puzzle we have coveredand will cover, hopefully these tips will help you to be more in tune withyour fishing. Putting all of this together consistently will put you intothe 10% of anglers that catch 90% of the fish!
    -
    • Factors To Consider When Fishing For Salmon River Steelhead during the Fall, Winter and Spring.
    By Randy Jones
    -
    More Steelhead Rambling's for your complimentary viewing pleasure coming this season:
    Fly Presentation Technique, Detecting the Take and Proper Weighting
    The Perfect Drift - Drift Fishing Correctly with Fly Rod:
    Visual and non-visual characteristics of line:
    Common causes to common concerns:
    My 3 main suggestions:
    Fishing in Jan. and Feb.? Are you nuts? -Yup:
    Slush - Planning your fishing day around it:
    Equipment:
    Pressured Fish:
    F.A.Q.S
    Creeks, Streams, Diversions, Brooks:
    Fish Fighting Techniques: I guarantee you'll learn some new stuff, and maynot want to try. If you're afraid to experiment and try something new, then please, do not read on.
    If I only had 1 fly to use all season that works for all species of fish that run the Salmon River, this would be it
    Winter tying tips:
    -
    The above and a hole lot more coming to your virtual fishing computer screenthis season, complements of Salmon River NY Guide - Randy Jones, so pleasestop back
    -
    -
    I'd like to send a shout out to all of our service men and women over sea'swho come here for a lil escape. Keep up the good work, be safe, we will leavea few fish in the river for you.
    -
    Thank you all for your words of encouragement, kind words and continued support.Ill continue to do my best in sharing what I've learned through experience,experimentation, borrowed ideas and taught techniques.
    Stay tuned for more entertainingly informative and mildly educational reportsand articles on this never-ending virtual fishing trip with your host Randy"The Yankee Angler" and friends.
    I sincerely hope that what little I've been able to share with you will helpyou along the path to more enjoyable, safe, knowledgeable fishing.
    -
    May all your door knobs smell of fish
    -
    The fishing of your dreams...... ............ we'll make it reeeeeeeeeeeeeel.