Big Salmon Run!
Salmon River Pulaski NY fishing guide offers Salmon River guide fishing reports for salmon steelhead off drift boat on the Salmon River NY.
1,000's of Salmon have entered the Salmon River NY over the last month and are spread out on the Salmon River Altmar - Pulaski NY. Our last BIG Salmon Run was from Sept. 4-7. Everything is early this year.
-
9/14 Fishing Report from this Salmon River Pulaski NY Steelhead Fishing Drift Boat Guide:

Salmon are top to bottom of the Salmon River. Nice flow of fresh Salmon (w/ a few Trout) entering, running, spreading out and holding in the Salmon River NY.
I used the drift boat on Monday from Altmar to Pineville and visually counted approx. 250 Salmon, plus approx. 100 more that I could not see, but knew they were there. Biggest slug of Salmon ran into the river Sept. 4-7. Plus more over our last month.
(More detailed Fishing Report, Tip's and Ramblings below)
-
Crystal Ball Guide Salmon River Fishing Forecast:
We will continue to see more Salmon enter, run, spread out and hold in the Salmon River NY. These #'s well increase the closer we get to Oct.
-
Today's Guide Salmon Season Fishing Joke:
This one might give you a lil more space and help the angler to understand in a fun - polite way, that they are standing - fishing uncomfortably too close to you. (One of my personal favorites)
Sir....., you know....., if you stand any closer to me, we will HAVE to get married
-
(See Photo - linked below)
Nice looking King Salmon. (Fish Released into cooler Congrats!!
-
Salmon River NY Fishing Guide Mail Bag:

Randy: Kudos on a fantastic website. Your humor, expertise, and obvious love of people make visiting your site a real treat. I especially like your honesty.
I've been fishing the Salmon River for 7 or 8 years now and have become fairly adept at hooking into a goodly number of fish - on most trips. Notice that I didn't say anything about LANDING them. That's a totally different issue for me, especially when trying to tail a fish. But I'm getting there.
I have to admit, however, that I'm still lost on river terminology - what in the world are "pockets and slots???" Is there any chance that in your next series of ramblings, um, I mean discourses and treatise on the finer points of piscatorial pursuits, that you could explain what pockets and slots and other such nonsense really are? Thanks in advance. Jerry
P.S. One of these days, when my wife ups my allowance, I plan on booking a trip with you. 'Til that day, I'll have to fish vicariously through you and your guests. Keep up the great work.
-
Hi Jerry, Im happy to hear you enjoy the web site and also the Salmon River.
Briefly, a pocket is normally a small hole in the river bottom that acts as a current break for the fish to rest in, as they transition and run up the river. They are normally found in rapids. A slot is also a hole, but is longer, then it is wide. An example of a visible pocket would be directly behind a rock (s), boulder or behind some white water (below pic.). Pockets come in small to large sizes. Best Fish's, Randy
This is a long run of BIG pocket like stairs that the fish climb. Resting after each step. This angler is hooked up to a Salmon while fishing these pockets.
-
This young man landed the biggest Steelhead of anyone fishing around us. Approx. 16 lb'r (Fish Released Congrats!!
-
***The below Fishing Report Post relates nicely to the exact type of Habitat we found them ALL in on Monday. (Approx. 350 Salmon over a 3 mile stretch off the drift boat on the upper end of the Salmon River with hardly another sole around, sssshhh)***
-
Monday I took a look around off the drift boat in the upper end of the river on a beautiful sunny day with a celebrity friend. ----------Solitude, lot's of Trophy Salmon. Doesn't get much better! (Well, the company could of been better, yukyuk
We could see everything. We saw 1's and two's, three's and 4's, pods of 6 and 7's. 50-60 in this spot, another 50-60 in another spot. 100 Salmon here and another 100 over there. Salmon running, holding, rolling, splashing in most of the prime spots.
All the way down a 3 mile section of the upper river. Almost all spots were holding. It looked more like the end of Sept.
-
All the Salmon that entered the Salmon River NY over the last month were the ones we were looking at. That other Larger slug of fish that entered the Salmon River last Wed. thru Sat. are running, spreading out and some will be arriving further up river today.
They say..... it takes some of those King Salmon approx. 7 days to reach the top while the Cohos can do it in a day.
Coho Fish Tail:
Many many years ago I heard this Coho story from Jim Rusher (past owner of Whitakers Sports Shop and Motel)
He said, there were sooooo many Cohos at the top of the river, that they put them in a truck and drove them back to the bottom of the river and made them run the Salmon River all over again. True story????????
-
The surprising part of the day for me was seeing Salmon rooster tail up the shallow rapids during the high noon sun. Only a few anglers out and in one 2 mile stretch we only saw 1 angler that had hiked in.
What type of Habitat had the highest concentrations? Were they in transition resting? Prime transitional holding? Or Prime non-transitional holding?
They were in all of them!
-
-
Definition of fishing term's - as it relates to all species of fish in the Salmon River NY:
Transitional resting - Where the fish rest at temporarily while in a transitional mode. (running the river)
Prime transitional holding - Where the fish will hold for the entire day (usually mid-day) after they have stopped running that morning.
Prime non-transitional holding - Where they will sit for an extended period of time (days and sometimes an entire month) before there biological clock tells them to find a mate and special rock.
-
Prime Non-Transitional Holding
Something I ve never written about, but learned many years ago, and ......... thought that you might enjoy
Studying the fish's biological clock that relates to all species of fish that we fish for over our 8 month season.
-
Sooooo, early one Sept. the river floods, know one is fishing. A week later the water recedes to a fishable level and low and behold, thousands of fresh King and Coho Salmon had taken advantage of this high flow and had entered and ran the river.
There were only a few of us locals and guides that had discovered that all of the prime non-transitional holding waters of the Salmon River were holding 100's of fresh Salmon in each individual piece.
So, I found a hole in early Sept. in an out of the way place, that had approx. 300 fresh Salmon in it. I knew these Salmon were not going anywhere as they had found a nice spot to hold in until there biological clock told them to hit that special rock.
This spot had no gravel, but offered them the type of habitat that would offer them everything they needed.
1. Deep water for safety from predators.
2. No strong currents so they could comfortable hang, with out exerting to much energy.
-
What I noticed was every morning when we would get to this spot early in the dark and wait for legal fishing time, you would here them rolling in the hole and also here the males fighting while splashing on the surface.
Everyday that went by, getting closer to Oct. 1, you would notice a few less Salmon breaking the surface in the hole. Until finally, around Oct. 1 there were only a few left doing this.
Randy, ....... BUT, ............ where did they all go to?................... I'm glad you asked
They all simply moved to that special rock, preparing for the next stage in their lives.
-
The average angler would never notice this unless you were standing on your favorite rock, in the dark, everyday-same spot for a month straight, like I did. This same thing happens with our Steelhead in the Spring time.
-
The funniest part of this story for me was this hole had no official name, unlike many of the holes on this river. So I named it the $$ money hole.
I made soooo much darn $$ money guiding on this one spot, in an out of the way place during the entire month of Sept. to fresh Salmon that were not going anywhere ----------that I thought the my name was rather fitting.
-
-
Todays Interesting Guide Tip:
This tip comes with a money back guarantee!
-
Soooo, the lesson for today is there are 3 "basic" ways to locate and target these fish. (1 thru 3, in my opionion. 4-7 is advanced )
1. When the Salmon are running, fish there transitional resting points as they make there way up the river. Otherwise, you are fishing to fish that are not stopping, decreasing your odds greatly, in my opionion.
2. Once they stop to hold for the remainder of the day, fish these prime transitional holding waters.
3. Find these prime non-transitional holding places in the river in Sept. and just fish those. After all, they aren't going anywhere soon.
4. Find a spot that is a combination of all 1-3. (Or, a spot that has all 3 in close proximity, so you can jump around according to what the fish are telling you to do)
5. Combine 1-4 and find a place above a looong stretch of rapids. The fish get tired after running these rapids. These fish will be in this spot for the longest period of time, offering you the greatest opportunity, all day!
6. Combine 1-5 and make sure that your spot has 98% of the fish in a transitional stage, move into it. This will offer you the greatest opportunity!
7. Combine 1-6 and pick a spot that compresses and or concentrates them. On a dime, like a sardine can, trash can lid or the size of a Volkswagen beetle or bus. This cuts down on all the guess work and allows to to present your offering to all the fish on every drift.
8. The VERY BEST place to fish? Is anywhere I'm not! - yukyuk
-
By utilizing the above, you will have the most fish in front of you for the greatest period of time in a concentrated area offering you the greatest opportunity to present your offering to ALL of them. Fish ON and ON and ON! - Baby!!
Now you know what I look for normally.....................
I hope you found "Todays Guide Tip" entertainingly informative or mildly educational.
-
Nice lil Brownie. (Fish Released Congrats!
-
Today's "Kids" Salmon River NY Test:
What cfs water flow do we call "a gate"? -- 750 cfs
What do you call it when a fish smokes you and you lose it? -- Getting Spanked!!!!!!
When can you legally start to fish in the morning? -- 1/2 hour before sunrise.
How many Steelhead are you allowed to keep per-day, per person and what size does it need to be? -- 1 steelhead per-person per-day, 21 inch's or bigger. By releasing your Steelhead, it may be a gift to another angler as your fish may have been a gift to you.
If someone is a reeeeeeally bad fisherman and never catches any fish, what fishing joke can you tell them to make them feel better? -- The way you fish, you'd have a better chance of catching a fish if you took took up golf!
-
Group photo celebrating a Trophy Male Steelhead. Congrats!!
-
Pulaski NY Water Level Snap Shot:
Until 11:59 PM today, Sat., 335 CFS
All published flows are approximate and forecasts are estimates only. Actual flows will vary and can change quickly at any time. Always be alert and wear an approved flotation device. Never go in or near the water until you know and accept the risks you are assuming by being in this area!
-
Altmar Pulaski NY Weather Snap Shot:
Friday A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 56. North wind 11 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. North wind 5 to 9 mph.
Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 62. North wind 6 to 9 mph.
Saturday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 41.
Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 69.
Sunday Night A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Monday A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 59. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Monday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 42.
Tuesday Sunny, with a high near 62.
Tuesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 46.
Wednesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 69.
-
These cooler temp's. will certainly help!
-
-
9/10 Ramblings from this
Salmon Steelhead Fishing Drift Boat Guide, Salmon River Pulaski NY :
Big Salmon Run entered the Salmon River between 9/4-7, plus all the rest over the last month.
-
Steelhead Fish Tail:
A seasoned S.R. angler friend of mine was fishing down in the DSR recently w/ a friend. They spotted a pod of Salmon making their way up river. It was sunny out and in the bunch of Salmon were 2 steelhead. (These Steelhead are bright silver when they first enter the river and are easy to see, especially when they run by you in the shallow rapids and its sunny) My friend pointed them out to his buddy who was fishing upstream, cast was made and an approx. 16 lb. Steelhead ate it!
He said that steelhead did a reeeel scream'n run for about 100 feet w/ water spraying off its back. Then decided to do a 4 foot ballistic missile jump showing its colors and then a somersault like a jugglers baton, back to earth's atmosphere before a cinder block splash down. Then it did an incredible tail walk dance across the pool with the sun reflecting off its silvery sides. (Boy, I should be a writer, NOT!
Fish was gently revived and released for your future fishing pleasure. They also played with a few Salmon and even landed a 10 lb. Brown Trout. (All fish released) Congrats!
-
Crystal Ball Salmon River NY Fishing Forecast:
In my opionion, if your fishing anytime soon, we could continue (?) to see ok #'s of Salmon (with a few Trout) continue to enter the Salmon River and run up it.
All of those Early Salmon (with a few Trout) that came in, in pretty good numbers that are in the river presently. Would be an option for you.
1. Some of those are running the river presently, normally during low light periods, as I type this. Then holding during mid-day and then running further during the next low light period.
2. Some have found a nice prime lye in the river to hold, until there biological clock tell'sm it's time to search out a mate and hit that special rock.
3. Some of those early runners didn't make it (normal for this early) and are now happily stinking up the river. It's smelling like Salmon Season!
-
Sooooo, we have Salmon from the top of the river all the way down. I'd say, 1 here, couple there, few over thataway and none over thisaway stuff. Unless fishing to that BIG group that just entered the river!
If you like to fish in solitude with a chance to play with one or more of these Trophy Fish, fish mid-week, up river.
-
I always get emails at this time of the year asking if there will be fish around towards the end of Sept. and Oct. The answer is YES! Many Many Thousands upon Thousands will be arriving. Then in Nov. you'll see an increase of Steelhead and Brown Trout. All the rest of the Winter into Spring you will have many more Thousands of steelhead to play with.
After 30 years of Guiding, nothing really ever changes that much
-
First mate Matt with a nice big male Brown Trout caught here on the Slam'n Salmon River, NY.
-
Todays Interesting Fishing Tip:
The below happens around approx. Oct. 1 for Salmon, Nov. for Browns and Feb. March and April for Steelhead.
You will notice the fish starting to pair up. (Males and Females) When you hit a fish in particular spot, make sure to cover that area thoroughly because their will normally be the mate (and more) in the same exact area.
Have seen and done this a million times.
Sometimes you will have 4 or 5 Buck's (males) in the same area w/ 1 Female (hen). Remember to always release any females asap if you want to keep catching. She is the bait and the ONLY reason all of those buck's are there. Once she is gone then the bucks have no reason to hang around.
Kind'a like last call at the bar. Once that last ugly girl leaves, you have no reason to hang around any longer - yukyuk
-
Today's "Kids" Salmon River NY Fishing Test:
What do we call a 1 year old Salmon? -- Jack
What do we call a 1 year old Steelhead? -- Skipper
When I say, "special rock". What type of rock am I referring too? -- Gravel-where they will spawn
-
New World Record Fish caught in the Salmon River! :O
Very rare! Only a few run the river every 50 years or so.............
They migrate up through the N.Y. Thruway using an easy pass.
State police are looking for the above individual's for leg pulling offenses.
-
An optional treat with all of these sunny days would be to sight fish during the mid-day. Another strategy would be to fish ANY water that you can not visually see the bottom. In this water level most fish will consider this type of habitat a prime location to hold.
(A post I made back in 2000 is below - The relationship between transitional fish and structure during low light periods and bright sun.)
Another strategy might be to stay out of the slow deep stuff and instead fish above these area's as they run. Fishing there transitional-holding-resting places. All of this and much more is explained below. Such a nice guide
-
Once they are in the river it normally takes them approx.7 days to reach the top. They normally run approx. 2-3 miles each day. Some Salmon will stop along the way, spread out and will hold until there clock tells'm its time to hit that special rock. Normally around Oct. 1 approx. They say the Cohos can run the river in a day. We've had some of those enter the river recently also.
-
Curtis lands an incredible Brown Trout! Notice the bump on the lower jaw? That tells you its a male. Notice the white mouth? This tells you its a Trout. All Salmon will have a grayish black coloration on the inside of the mouth. Thats the easiest-fastest way for anglers to tell them apart.
Normally, lots of anglers will land a bright silver Coho Salmon and think its a Steelhead. They sometimes look and fight a lot a like. By looking at the inside of the mouth you can easily tell.
(FYI - Everyone, please read the Reg. book as it relates to Salmon River NY. Daily #'s you can legally keep per person by species and also size restrictions. Dont want to see any of you getting a "dummy" ticket
(P.S. The DSR has its own private Regs. Please inquire within.)
-
-
-
I'd like to send a shout out to all of our service men and women over sea's who come here for a lil escape. Keep up the good work, be safe, we will leave a few fish in the river for you.
Fishing you all a safe return home!
-
Thank you all for your words of encouragement, kind words and continued support. Ill continue to do my best in sharing what I've learned through experience, experimentation, borrowed ideas and taught techniques.
Stay tuned for more entertainingly informative and mildly educational reports and articles on this never-ending virtual fishing trip with your host Randy "The Yankee Angler" and friends.
I sincerely hope that what little I've been able to share with you will help you along the path to more enjoyable, safe, knowledgeable fishing.
Thanks for stopping in and spending your valuable internet fishing time here
Hope your all enjoying this great fishing!
-
May all your door knobs smell of fish.
-
The Salmon and Steelhead fishing of your Dreams...... .........we'll make'm Reeeeeeeeeeeel.
Best Steelhead and Salmon Fish's,
Salmon River NY Guide and Author Randy Jones
http://www.yankeeangler.com - Fishing Report Page
-
-
-
HI Rich/ DarkSkies,
Thanks for the invitation to post my fish stuff here!
Best Fish's,
Randy