Thread: Sand Eels

Hybrid View

Default Sand Eels

Sand eels have made their way inshore again the past few years and have once again become a staple bait source so lets see some of your imitations.

This is my first attempt at a sand eel fly and first time using synthetic materials. It took a little time to get use to the synthetics and I had to undo and restart the fly a few times but overall I am happy with the outcome.

When wet the fly takes a very sleek and thin profile.

This hook is a 2/0 Mustad 34007.

Material is Steve Farrar's flash blend in off white and olive and then I finished the body off with CCG and then a thin top coat.

looks good John.. I make mine with super hair. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elle1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	17582Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elle2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	17583

Metal white and olive or white and chartreuse bucktailed hook or PoJe same hook or deadly penis same hook also on Hopkins or root beer over white SS stubby needle . As you can see I am not a teaser fan if I am forced to use one late fall on micro bass one of my olive over white clousers which will also mimic winter spearing.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    one of my olive over white clousers which will also mimic winter spearing.
    Yup and easier to tie.

Finchaser,

Its duly noted that you do not like teasers but can I ask why? Is it the bluefish?

I am not a big fan of these ava sand eels that became popular during the epic fall of 2011. Its hard to judge how well an idea works when the fish are just swallowing anything that gets in their way.

I rather have my plain tube with bent hook ava and a teaser in the front. Its a confidence thing for me the only thing I dislike is the hooks that come on the ava's. Has anyone found a bent hook with similar action that is stronger?