Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something Stinks at the ASMFC? - ASMFC Striped Bass ruling October 2013

Default ASMFC Commissioners - How much do they care?????

Bass not even mentioned

October Council Meeting Summary

The Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council addressed a range of issues during its October 2013 meeting in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Key topics discussed at the meeting included:

• Harvest levels and commercial management measures for summer flounder, scup, black sea bass, and bluefish (adopted in conjunction with the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission);
    • Spiny dogfish specifications;
    • River herring and shad management;
    • Framework 8 to the Monkfish fishery management plan;
    • Strategic implementation plan; and
    • 2015 research priorities for the Research Set-Aside (RSA) Program.

Learn more in the October Council Meeting Summary.

Briefing materials, presentations, and audio recordings from the meeting are available at http://www.mafmc.org/briefing/october-2013.

Next Meeting: December 10-12, 2013
    The Westin Hotel
    100 Westgate Circle
    Annapolis, MD 21401
    Go to www.mafmc.org/briefing-books to view the full 2014 meeting schedule.

The Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council is one of eight regional councils established by the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act of 1976. The Council has primary responsibility for twelve species of fish and shellfish in the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) between 3 and 200 miles off the Mid-Atlantic coast. Member states include New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina. Visit our website for more information.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Mr Fote (one of three NJ commissioners) wrote me back and gave me a link to an article he wrote in regards to what action he plans on taking. Here is his final sentence "Nothing that I have seen in the past 40 years involved in striped bass and the past 24 years at ASMFC has shown me that we need to change our current practice. If the science and the triggers show the need for a change, then I will support that"

Rob that is one of the most ignorant sentences I have ever read. time for Tom Fote to resign and be replaced By someone who doesn't have his Head Up His As$!!!!

Was there an issue with Tom Fote a few years ago in that he turned against recreational fisherman and supported the commercial fisherman?
    I may be wrong on this.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    Mr Fote (one of three NJ commissioners) wrote me back and gave me a link to an article he wrote in regards to what action he plans on taking. Here is his final sentence "Nothing that I have seen in the past 40 years involved in striped bass and the past 24 years at ASMFC has shown me that we need to change our current practice. If the science and the triggers show the need for a change, then I will support that"
    He's full of SH*T when they wanted to change the regulations he told one of the the committees on the behalf of all fishing clubs there are more bass than ever. he never consulted any of them.
    As one of the founding members of the JCAA they are suppose to represent all clubs. All he worries about is his fluke tournament and the company car he finagled some how . His fluke tournament has gone from 1000 boats to 200 for the state that's how much fishermen think of him. He also made these comments on national TV channel 21 I'm sure you can Google it. I gave DS a copy of the it on a CD.

Monty you are right

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I'm beginning to think they believe if they decimate them they don't have to regulate them and make money doing it(hey who the eff is better then them) as always too many deep pockets running around town that's one reason this country is falling apart.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    He's full of SH*T when they wanted to change the regulations he told one of the the committees on the behalf of all fishing clubs there are more bass than ever. he never consulted any of them.
    As one of the founding members of the JCAA they are suppose to represent all clubs. All he worries about is his fluke tournament and the company car he finagled some how . His fluke tournament has gone from 1000 boats to 200 for the state that's how much fishermen think of him. He also made these comments on national TV channel 21 I'm sure you can Google it. I gave DS a copy of the it on a CD.

Monty you are right
    Unbelievable! How could a guy like this ever get appointed if he is so far into lala land? Does he smoke pot or do heroin?

Those that do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

Just kickbacks money makes people greedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Unbelievable! How could a guy like this ever get appointed if he is so far into lala land? Does he smoke pot or do heroin?
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

how do we get the commissioners out of there?

They are all the same they just blow smoke up our a$$es and continue on,one is no better then the rest.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

One of you members should draft a letter to Tom....detailing the YOY stats, ASMFC findings that striped bass landings are down.....with specific links to the data.......
    You should present him with hard concrete data that exists out there, and ask him to explain it....

Rob, are you a good letter writer?
    Finchaser and I are too old to keep loading the artillery and firing the shots by ourselves....
    We need some new letter writers around here.....please feel free to step up to the plate and send it to me privately if ya want me to critique it before it's sent......

It would be good to make it generic, and structured in such a way that it could be posted here for a mass e-mailing.....and as mentioned, should have the key info about the YOY and landings declines....

If someone doesn't post or do it by next week, I'll try to set it up...but would rather one of you concerned members takes the lead on this.....
    I know we have lots of capable members....

** I gained some new perspectives in the last few weeks....
    We need accountability from our officials and commissioners.....
    We need to demand this when they make statements that are not in line with reality.....
    Part of the problem with our society, is that we don't demand accountability....and blindly accept things like this.....
    thanks for reading......

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    I'm beginning to think they believe if they decimate them they don't have to regulate them and make money doing it(hey who the eff is better then them) as always too many deep pockets running around town that's one reason this country is falling apart.
    Agree completely

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    how do we get the commissioners out of there?
    They are appointed not elected you would have to write to Gov Christie and have a good reason why they should be ousted. If anyone can come up with something I will sign it because the guy Fote seems clueless.

You fellas have to understand the way they manage the fish is not really for the future but for MSY - maximum sustainable yield. They don't give the YOY stats the weight they should be given and instead look at the longer range analysis. If they are to change this it would have to be from a lot of pressure, not only from individual fishermen, but fishing clubs, etc.

^^^^ So really if you think about it the ASMFC more represents the interests of the commercial fishermen than the recreational ones. I def don't trust them or the numbers they are saying. Too many guys I know are complaining of poor fishing this year. They can't all be bad fishermen. It has to be that the striper numbers are down what else could it be?

The recent ASMFC striped bass ruling this week is killing me.
    It has no basis in reality.
    The ASMFC has publically stated the harvest numbers are down, yet they are unwilling to change regs.

Rather and just come on here and rant about it......
    I am developing an action plan.

This will unfold in the coming weeks. I can't do it alone, will need your help to get the word out and send the letters.
    I will try to make it as easy as possible for good numbers of people to help.

Some of ya's got to hear me ranting on the phone yesterday....because some of the ones I was ranting to....are the very same folks who were my inspiration to get more involved in fisheries management issues..
    Although at times in the past I resented your rants to me......I have now come to understand, very clearly, why you old timers were so upset....and I sincerely thank you for the fire you lit inside me.....

Who is influencing the vote?
    Why are they voting the way they do, in spite of compelling evidence to the contrary?

Some of you have written to me, and said the ASMFC is corrupt, and out of touch with reality.
    I can't substantiate corruption within that organization, because there is no proof.

However, you are entitled to your opinions here, and I would like to hear them.

Hint:
    I believe part of this problem is that the striped bass are managed for MSY (Maximum Sustainable Yield)
    This does not take into account the great gaps in certain year classes we are seeing.
    It does not take into account the declining YOY stats that have been poor for several of the last years, with the exception of 2012.

Feel free to put forth your ideas and thoughts
    --
    Why there are substantiated declines in striped bass catches...
    And yet every year there is only a minority of the ASMFC board, advocating for striped bass and better managing of this resource, that belongs to all of us?

There is no right or wrong answer here....
    Your opinions will count, as I will take them into consideration when drawing up the action plans....
    Thanks for reading.....

I am going with corruption as of now, because any amount of common sense would lead to restrictions.
    I also feel that the party boats and charter boats are our enemies (almost all). You think that the majority of them want further restrictions?
    They would loose $$.
    Does the RFA represent charter boats, party boats?
    Looking forward to your posts Dark.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast