Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for October 2013.....wwwStripersAndAnglers.com

Default NJ Fishing Reports for October 2013.....wwwStripersAndAnglers.com

NJ Fishing Reports for October 2013.....wwwStripersAndAnglers.com
    **Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING. Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED.
    Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

**For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
    Out Front (Ocean) OR -- Out Back (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time.

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

1. If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:
    If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish there today?

2. If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
    More discussion on this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
    NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
    SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
    IBSP - Island Beach State Park
    LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
    CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
    CMC - Cape May County
    GEI - Great Egg Inlet
    TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
    BB - Barnegat Bay
    CB - Chesapeake Bay
    DB - Delaware Bay

Seamonkey,
    you won the plug in the September 2013 random drawing!
    PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked!

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site!

** We are past the month of September....This has been the worst September in several years for me.
    I hate to present things this way, but that means 25%, or more, of the Fall Fishing season has already passed us....Do you have a lot to show for it? I don't.....

I say this not to put negativity out there.....but to try to rally fishermen that we need to keep active and involved...
    1. We need more recreational fishermen at Fisheries Management meetings.
    2. We need more fishermen to get involved when there is a Beach Access hearing.
    3. We need more fishermen to acknowledge, on message boards and when you are asked to write letters and e-mails, that the Striped Bass numbers are down......

4. And to try to have discussions about sustainable harvest limits.(Of course, only if this is what you are seeing.....I am seeing it in my own experiences for the last 5-8 years)

The future of tomorrow's fishing is in your hands....please don't forget to get involved, when you are asked to stand up and be counted......
    Thanks for reading....

man you are on the ball this month!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    ** We are past the month of September....This has been the worst September in several years for me.
    I hate to present things this way, but that means 25%, or more, of the Fall Fishing season has already passed us....Do you have a lot to show for it? I don't.....

I say this not to put negativity out there.....but to try to rally fishermen that we need to keep active and involved...
    1. We need more recreational fishermen at Fisheries Management meetings.
    2. We need more fishermen to get involved when there is a Beach Access hearing.
    3. We need more fishermen to acknowledge, on message boards and when you are asked to write letters and e-mails, that the Striped Bass numbers are down......

4. And to try to have discussions about sustainable harvest limits.(Of course, only if this is what you are seeing.....I am seeing it in my own experiences for the last 5-8 years)

The future of tomorrow's fishing is in your hands....please don't forget to get involved, when you are asked to stand up and be counted......
    Thanks for reading....

dark skies you should not apologize for putting that out there. Its the truth. Even montak and block there has been sucky fishing from the surf so far this year. Where are the fish? They are not there plain and simple. Thank you for the honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by plugginpete View Post
    dark skies you should not apologize for putting that out there. Its the truth. Even montak and block there has been sucky fishing from the surf so far this year. Where are the fish? They are not there plain and simple. Thank you for the honesty.
    Dark there are times in life when one has to put forth a position that may be unpopular but later on proves to be true. I have never thought you to be shy about posting your opinion. Hope you aren't starting a trend here by apologizing. They laughed at Bob Pond too. Now they look back and see what a visionary he was I confirm your statement that the bass stocks are down and have 25years of logs to prove it. Feel free to get in touch any time you want to look at my logs. Keep up the good work. No apologies needed.

Fished ocean county after work. Some bunker just beyond reach. Not many fish on them. One short bass on a danny, released. Water where I was didn't have any salps.

Quote Originally Posted by plugginpete View Post
    dark skies you should not apologize for putting that out there. Its the truth. Even montak and block there has been sucky fishing from the surf so far this year. Where are the fish?
    The bass are dead because fishermen have killed them.
    Another vote for Dark to stop apologizing for his opinion.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

1st of the season for me last night. second cast, blurple bomber, outgoing. 26" did some acrobats and mustve spooked any of his friends bcuz that was it for the night. i love october.

Haven't talked to ya in a while Zev...how ya been?
    I meant to get in touch....the other day I met a woman and her son....fishes your area......they were talking about getting white perch and small bass with night crawlers......you would remember her....she is missing one arm....very nice woman......I'll send ya an e-mail....good to hear you're getting out there....

Fished the ocean last night, covered long distance...flood tide, perfect conditions....
    Swell not bad....water temps perfect.....there had been some bait moving through in the daytime....by the time I got out there, it was a dead sea....but the shooting stars, white water.....dark skies...... beginning of the new moon tides (Oct 5)......steady wind from the W/SW........all were enough to inspire wood in the pants....... like you read about in the surfcasting articles......unfortunately not a tap for me....

I guess fish didn't get the memo

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

fished the navy pier the last two nights.monday 12 big porgy's 2 spots 1 crocker and two blue fish' last night 10 spots 3 big porgy's 1crocker two blue fish and 1 nice striper 33inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    The bass are dead because fishermen have killed them.
    Another vote for Dark to stop apologizing for his opinion.
    ^^ Sorry for the late response here....
    Bassbuddah, plugginpete, and Monty.... thanks so much for the kind words.

As some of you may know, there is no middle ground with me.....I can be very generous...have helped hundreds of folks over the years...given away enough tackle to newcomers to open a small shop....I can also be very moody and stubborn....even some of ya's who are friends....have gotten a hostile reception when you run into me at night if I don't recognize you.....(Monty would remember this... )

I know I can be very "preachy" at times.......
    And have probably alienated some folks because of it.....
    Every day Pebbles reminds me that I more and more resemble a younger version of the Old Grouchy Basstid Finchaser.. ..

I have done a lot of self-analysis over the years and listened to feedback from others...
    It has become clear to me that many folks don't like to be preached at, or to....unless they pay you for the privelege...such as at a seminar....

Some things that I have tried to be expressly aware of...
    1. I have seen there is a divide, between the perceptions of those who fish from boats, and those who fish from land.
    2. There are many of us who do both....and those are the ones who I feel understand the big picture better....
    3. Others only fish a small area for most of the time they fish, or base their understanding of where the fish stocks are at, based on what they read on the internet....
    4. I am a strong Conservationist......There is a big difference between being a Conservationist, and an Environmentalist...anyone who knows me knows of the continuous battles I have waged against Environmentalists, the folks from PEW, and PETA...etc,,,
    That being said, I have learned it is not effective to shove my views on anyone else.....

5. I am honored by the reference to Bob Pond..but really am not comfortable with it....
    In my fights to preserve fishing for all, and fishing Access, I have traveled the East Coast to go to meetings in support....

However, I am simply in awe of Bob Pond and all he did. There is no way my minor achievements could ever hold a candle to them.....

I know so many more old timers, like Finchaser and his friends, (the original founders of the JCAA),,,,and some of the old timers here....like Surfwalker, the OFFC.. and others....these people, in my opinion, are the true unsung heroes of fighting for our fisheries....and again, although I hope when I am dead, some will recognize the work that I tried to do...in no way do I feel I will come close to having made the progress and overcome some of the obstacles that some of these people did....

6. If you want to give credit to someone...give it to them, and yourselves...
    Bassbuddah, you were one of the original members who raised awareness about the closed Fishing Access at Shoreham Beach....you and other members here,. have fought in the shadows, in support of Conservation Goals, for many years....you all deserve credit for the strides we have made as fishermen....and helping folks to learn for themselves.....

My biggest assets are probably
    - determination,
    - resilience,
    - refusal to let folks out there, accept the status quo....
    - communication skills
    - getting to know many of the old timers in the world of Salt Water fishing, talk with them, and then summarizing and conveying what they have taught.....

* And most importantly, the ability to humble myself, when addressing others.....
    without that, there can be no progress or growth......

* None of this is gained by preaching, or shoving my beliefs down someone's throat.....
    There are still people out there who are highly offended when they read posts about catch and release...or claims that the striped bass biomass is declining...
    Some of my family members don't understand why I would go fishing and release the fish....it makes it that much easier to understand why folks we don't know, may judge doing that harshly.......

* I have found education to be the best way....but educating folks, is a slow process....
    We are only now, starting to see many of the top people in the fishing world, starting to talk about conservation....
    And drawing analogies between conditions now....and those right before the moratorium in the late 1970's....

It's so important to make that distinction between Conservation, and Preservationism/Environmentalism

When you see my apologetic way of writing....it's because I have become aware that folks who have different beliefs, are now checking in our forums.....

** There is an old phrase I try to live by, and look for, in times of uncertainty....."You can't please everyone..."
    I do know that....but don't want to give anyone a chance to discount the message....simply because they are opposed to a small piece of what I may be stating on that particular day....

The message I am trying to get across, is so important.... that I want to feel I am reaching even the most critical opponent....
    Hope that clears things up a bit, and thanks for reading.....

Surf sucks in NY any fish that do come through are way out there, bass and blues are mostly in the rips out in Montauk, boats are doing well diamond jigging surf is pretty dead out there I hear.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by chas527 View Post
    fished the navy pier the last two nights.monday 12 big porgy's 2 spots 1 crocker and two blue fish' last night 10 spots 3 big porgy's 1crocker two blue fish and 1 nice striper 33inches.

Awesome report chas thanks for sharing.

13 bass 16 to 28" all on jig head and salt and pepper rip tide mullet

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Nice reports all

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    13 bass 16 to 28" all on jig head and salt and pepper rip tide mullet
    Nice action, I am guessing Dark was not within 20 miles
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Picked up an almost keeper yesterday before dark. oc on the beach above the park. daiwa. Nice reports fellas.

I fished LBI last night on incoming Wasn't really a get out and find bass kind of trip more of a - get out and fish period kind of trip. Got word of a pod of bunker on the beach in a certain area. Went there with a buddy and saw some dark areas in the water that as time went on seemed to be moving. Not sure if it was a pod of bunker as I have never seen one. I can tell you this- there was no bird or fish activity related to that mass. I through a bunker snag a few times with no results. I chunked some bunker I bought and caught an armadillo, well that's what the skate looked like- he was all curled up and made himself feel larger than it was. Went to the back with the remaining bunker, got some taps but nothing hooked up- hook got logged in the coral or a rock and I was done.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast