Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
The bass are dead because fishermen have killed them.
Another vote for Dark to stop apologizing for his opinion.
^^ Sorry for the late response here....
Bassbuddah, plugginpete, and Monty.... thanks so much for the kind words.

As some of you may know, there is no middle ground with me.....I can be very generous...have helped hundreds of folks over the years...given away enough tackle to newcomers to open a small shop....I can also be very moody and stubborn....even some of ya's who are friends....have gotten a hostile reception when you run into me at night if I don't recognize you.....(Monty would remember this... )

I know I can be very "preachy" at times.......
And have probably alienated some folks because of it.....
Every day Pebbles reminds me that I more and more resemble a younger version of the Old Grouchy Basstid Finchaser.. ..

I have done a lot of self-analysis over the years and listened to feedback from others...
It has become clear to me that many folks don't like to be preached at, or to....unless they pay you for the privelege...such as at a seminar....

Some things that I have tried to be expressly aware of...
1. I have seen there is a divide, between the perceptions of those who fish from boats, and those who fish from land.
2. There are many of us who do both....and those are the ones who I feel understand the big picture better....
3. Others only fish a small area for most of the time they fish, or base their understanding of where the fish stocks are at, based on what they read on the internet....
4. I am a strong Conservationist......There is a big difference between being a Conservationist, and an Environmentalist...anyone who knows me knows of the continuous battles I have waged against Environmentalists, the folks from PEW, and PETA...etc,,,
That being said, I have learned it is not effective to shove my views on anyone else.....

5. I am honored by the reference to Bob Pond..but really am not comfortable with it....
In my fights to preserve fishing for all, and fishing Access, I have traveled the East Coast to go to meetings in support....

However, I am simply in awe of Bob Pond and all he did. There is no way my minor achievements could ever hold a candle to them.....

I know so many more old timers, like Finchaser and his friends, (the original founders of the JCAA),,,,and some of the old timers here....like Surfwalker, the OFFC.. and others....these people, in my opinion, are the true unsung heroes of fighting for our fisheries....and again, although I hope when I am dead, some will recognize the work that I tried to do...in no way do I feel I will come close to having made the progress and overcome some of the obstacles that some of these people did....

6. If you want to give credit to someone...give it to them, and yourselves...
Bassbuddah, you were one of the original members who raised awareness about the closed Fishing Access at Shoreham Beach....you and other members here,. have fought in the shadows, in support of Conservation Goals, for many years....you all deserve credit for the strides we have made as fishermen....and helping folks to learn for themselves.....