Thread: Something Stinks at the ASMFC? - ASMFC Striped Bass ruling October 2013

Hybrid View

Default ASMFC Commissioners - How much do they care?????

Bass not even mentioned

October Council Meeting Summary

The Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council addressed a range of issues during its October 2013 meeting in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Key topics discussed at the meeting included:

• Harvest levels and commercial management measures for summer flounder, scup, black sea bass, and bluefish (adopted in conjunction with the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission);
    • Spiny dogfish specifications;
    • River herring and shad management;
    • Framework 8 to the Monkfish fishery management plan;
    • Strategic implementation plan; and
    • 2015 research priorities for the Research Set-Aside (RSA) Program.

Learn more in the October Council Meeting Summary.

Briefing materials, presentations, and audio recordings from the meeting are available at http://www.mafmc.org/briefing/october-2013.

Next Meeting: December 10-12, 2013
    The Westin Hotel
    100 Westgate Circle
    Annapolis, MD 21401
    Go to www.mafmc.org/briefing-books to view the full 2014 meeting schedule.

The Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council is one of eight regional councils established by the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act of 1976. The Council has primary responsibility for twelve species of fish and shellfish in the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) between 3 and 200 miles off the Mid-Atlantic coast. Member states include New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina. Visit our website for more information.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Mr Fote (one of three NJ commissioners) wrote me back and gave me a link to an article he wrote in regards to what action he plans on taking. Here is his final sentence "Nothing that I have seen in the past 40 years involved in striped bass and the past 24 years at ASMFC has shown me that we need to change our current practice. If the science and the triggers show the need for a change, then I will support that"

Rob that is one of the most ignorant sentences I have ever read. time for Tom Fote to resign and be replaced By someone who doesn't have his Head Up His As$!!!!

Was there an issue with Tom Fote a few years ago in that he turned against recreational fisherman and supported the commercial fisherman?
    I may be wrong on this.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    Mr Fote (one of three NJ commissioners) wrote me back and gave me a link to an article he wrote in regards to what action he plans on taking. Here is his final sentence "Nothing that I have seen in the past 40 years involved in striped bass and the past 24 years at ASMFC has shown me that we need to change our current practice. If the science and the triggers show the need for a change, then I will support that"
    He's full of SH*T when they wanted to change the regulations he told one of the the committees on the behalf of all fishing clubs there are more bass than ever. he never consulted any of them.
    As one of the founding members of the JCAA they are suppose to represent all clubs. All he worries about is his fluke tournament and the company car he finagled some how . His fluke tournament has gone from 1000 boats to 200 for the state that's how much fishermen think of him. He also made these comments on national TV channel 21 I'm sure you can Google it. I gave DS a copy of the it on a CD.

Monty you are right

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I'm beginning to think they believe if they decimate them they don't have to regulate them and make money doing it(hey who the eff is better then them) as always too many deep pockets running around town that's one reason this country is falling apart.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    I'm beginning to think they believe if they decimate them they don't have to regulate them and make money doing it(hey who the eff is better then them) as always too many deep pockets running around town that's one reason this country is falling apart.
    Agree completely

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    He's full of SH*T when they wanted to change the regulations he told one of the the committees on the behalf of all fishing clubs there are more bass than ever. he never consulted any of them.
    As one of the founding members of the JCAA they are suppose to represent all clubs. All he worries about is his fluke tournament and the company car he finagled some how . His fluke tournament has gone from 1000 boats to 200 for the state that's how much fishermen think of him. He also made these comments on national TV channel 21 I'm sure you can Google it. I gave DS a copy of the it on a CD.

Monty you are right
    Unbelievable! How could a guy like this ever get appointed if he is so far into lala land? Does he smoke pot or do heroin?

Those that do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

Just kickbacks money makes people greedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Unbelievable! How could a guy like this ever get appointed if he is so far into lala land? Does he smoke pot or do heroin?
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

how do we get the commissioners out of there?

The recent ASMFC striped bass ruling this week is killing me.
    It has no basis in reality.
    The ASMFC has publically stated the harvest numbers are down, yet they are unwilling to change regs.

Rather and just come on here and rant about it......
    I am developing an action plan.

This will unfold in the coming weeks. I can't do it alone, will need your help to get the word out and send the letters.
    I will try to make it as easy as possible for good numbers of people to help.

Some of ya's got to hear me ranting on the phone yesterday....because some of the ones I was ranting to....are the very same folks who were my inspiration to get more involved in fisheries management issues..
    Although at times in the past I resented your rants to me......I have now come to understand, very clearly, why you old timers were so upset....and I sincerely thank you for the fire you lit inside me.....

Who is influencing the vote?
    Why are they voting the way they do, in spite of compelling evidence to the contrary?

Some of you have written to me, and said the ASMFC is corrupt, and out of touch with reality.
    I can't substantiate corruption within that organization, because there is no proof.

However, you are entitled to your opinions here, and I would like to hear them.

Hint:
    I believe part of this problem is that the striped bass are managed for MSY (Maximum Sustainable Yield)
    This does not take into account the great gaps in certain year classes we are seeing.
    It does not take into account the declining YOY stats that have been poor for several of the last years, with the exception of 2012.

Feel free to put forth your ideas and thoughts
    --
    Why there are substantiated declines in striped bass catches...
    And yet every year there is only a minority of the ASMFC board, advocating for striped bass and better managing of this resource, that belongs to all of us?

There is no right or wrong answer here....
    Your opinions will count, as I will take them into consideration when drawing up the action plans....
    Thanks for reading.....

I am going with corruption as of now, because any amount of common sense would lead to restrictions.
    I also feel that the party boats and charter boats are our enemies (almost all). You think that the majority of them want further restrictions?
    They would loose $$.
    Does the RFA represent charter boats, party boats?
    Looking forward to your posts Dark.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

^^ You asked some very challenging questions there, Monty......and they should be explored.
    Some of the answers might cause a lot of controversy if we were able to post the truth about the connections various groups have, and the influence they have, when the ASMFC votes.

At this point I am not making accusations.
    You folks are free to make any inferences you want, to try to help us figure out what is broken at the ASMFC. You are all entitled to your opinions.

When we are implementing our action plan, we will probably be making some enemies within the fishing community.
    There are folks out there who would not be happy with the inferences being drawn,,,,,they would say there is no proof......

That's why I'm not making those inferences at this time,......merely stating that for the last 3 years, the ASMFC has been admitting the striped bass harvest is declining......and have not made a move to do anything concrete to resolve that issue.....

Therefore, it's reasonable to think that there are certain interest groups operating out of the public sphere, that are influencing the way the Commissioners vote, privately.....

Please be aware there is nothing criminal about this...it's the way of Politics,.,,,,and the way deals are done in Fisheries management all the time....many issues are resolved behind closed doors, with ourselves as fishermen having limited say, or influence in these matters.

**It is all about advocacy groups,,,,and the reason I have publically backed PACS like the RFA here in the past....

However, it's becoming more clear to me, and scores of other fishermen,. that these meetings are a dog and pony show...the minds are made up ahead of time, and there is possible undue influence from groups operating in the shadows, pushing their interests ahead of the interests of the average fisherman.

**This is what I want to explore in this thread.
    Your first Amendment Rights will be protected here. You are free to voice your opinion whether you agree with any statements here or not.
    I want to be very careful, as the Admin, to stay in the middle of any strong opinions that may develop, and give everyone equal time to voice their opinion.

The important thing, is that I am not accepting this as reality any more.
    This will not be the reality that I have to swallow, because I know in my heart, and hundreds of interviews I have done over the years, that it is not what most fishermen are seeing.

I am mad as hell, and not just going to rant about it anymore.
    1. We will take action.
    2. We will be heard.
    3. We will ruffle feathers.
    4. We will get various fishermen groups I have gotten to know, made aware of this...and at some point they will have to take us seriously.
    If we are to make enemies or get folks mad at us for speaking the truth, so be it.

I am tired of bending over and taking it from the ASMFC
    How many of you folks, feel the same way?

**Their actions suggest that somehow they are being unduly influenced by special interest groups. Again, just to be clear, there is nothing that is criminal about this. This is how things play out in the political arena....this is the nature of Politics and the Political process.

What I am advocating for, is some more transparency, and the idea that the Commissioners who vote on the ASMFC, are responsible to all fishermen, not just a few special interest groups.

What I want to raise awareness of, is...
    1. Who are the biggest players here.....
    2. How much influence do they have?.....
    3. What pressure we can place on them, so they know that we have a voice as well?......

**It's time to stand and be counted,
    A. If you really care about the striped bass....
    B. If you believe there is an action plan possible, that will prevent another moratorium.
    C. And if it's important to you that your children and grandchildren will be allowed to fish for them tomorrow and in the future.........

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    The important thing, is that I am not accepting this as reality any more.
    This will not be the reality that I have to swallow, because I know in my heart, and hundreds of interviews I have done over the years, that it is not what most fishermen are seeing.

I am mad as hell, and not just going to rant about it anymore.
    1. We will take action.
    2. We will be heard.
    3. We will ruffle feathers.
    4. We will get various fishermen groups I have gotten to know, made aware of this...and at some point they will have to take us seriously.
    5. I will not stop in this quest, until I am dead.

If we are to make enemies or get folks mad at us for speaking the truth, so be it.

I am tired of bending over and taking it from the ASMFC
    How many of you folks, feel the same way?

Dark for President!
    Dude I am with you all the way. Come up with a letter that states that and we can post all over the internet and on facebook,
    Like monty said there has to be some corruption. With them being faced with the same statistics for 3 years and not doing anything? I feel the biggest influence is the party and charter boats. I have read some reports where the capts say if guys are not allowed to keep 2 bass or more they will not shell out the money for a trip. Thats total bs. Look at the fluke fishery they have increased the size limits and put in restrictions and guys still pay to fish for them. Same with the blackfish the restrictions **** but when the season opens the boats have no problems finding fares.
    The striped bass should be the same.

Better yet why don't they look at bass as a coastwide resource and manage it that way? Whatever you guys need me to do or sign let me know. I'm in!