Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for November 2013...www.StripersAndAnglers.com

South wind made it hard to fish tonight but my brother and I still managed a few. He caught six total and I caught two on swim shads.

I spent a lot of time throwing a heavy duty 7" shad and got a bunch of missed hits...had to take a picture of this little guy who tried to eat a shad almost as big as him.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    South wind made it hard to fish tonight but my brother and I still managed a few. He caught six total and I caught two on swim shads.

I spent a lot of time throwing a heavy duty 7" shad and got a bunch of missed hits...had to take a picture of this little guy who tried to eat a shad almost as big as him.
    Nice report and pics JB
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

this AM 6 bass to 26" all on Jig head and Chartreuse tail

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Default NJ Fishing Reports for November 2013...www.StripersAndAnglers.com

NJ Fishing Reports for November 2013.....wwwStripersAndAnglers.com
    **Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING. Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED.
    Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

**For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
    Out Front (Ocean) OR -- Out Back (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time.

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

1. If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:
    If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish there today?

2. If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
    More discussion on this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
    NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
    SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
    IBSP - Island Beach State Park
    LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
    CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
    CMC - Cape May County
    GEI - Great Egg Inlet
    TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
    BB - Barnegat Bay
    CB - Chesapeake Bay
    DB - Delaware Bay

Fishinmission78,
    you won the plug in the October 2013 random drawing!
    PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked!

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site!

Quote Originally Posted by xtreme_visions View Post
    Hello everyone. NICE REPORTS! I have made several failed attempts in the past few weeks. 1st trip I discovered my
    guide was cracked. Next trip I forgot my gear as I thought I left it in my trunk and now last night I arrived at what looks to be a hot spot right now only to realize I must have gotten sand in my reel at 1 of my other failed attempts lol the important part is at least I tried What have I learned from all these failures? Slowww down! Looks like I will have to resort to using my bait casting setup temporarily for plugs as I see the fishing is pretty good out there right now. I'm determined to get my 1st fish of the year before the weekend is over and I possibly go back into hibernation
    Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Dude if you think the fishing is good right now where were you 5 years ago? You would of been jizzing in your pants compared to how it is now.
    No worrries about failing if you are not out there trying you won't catch any. At least you tried, good deal. Better luck next time.

Or if he was fishing 10 years ago and had a night with 30-40 bass, not uncommon back then, his head might explode....
    Nice to hear you're getting out Extreme...We all learn from failing, it's part of life......just follow the path we talked about last year....pick nights with fishable surf....and soon enough you'll be into some fish......

I'll say a prayer to King Neptune for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post

I spent a lot of time throwing a heavy duty 7" shad and got a bunch of missed hits...

I was throwing shads last night too John,,,but you guys must have had a better wind window......nice effort...it seems these fish just moved in this week...regards to your brother as well.....

There are some nights where you know you have to be out there because the pending weather conditions dictate it.....
    I missed a few of those nights this fall because of other obligations.....

The last time I was out....the bite should have been incredible as it was in front of a noreast weather pattern....so say I was disappointed with the results, (a few bumps over several hours) is an understatement......

I know the patterns and nights that will bring double digit or larger fish.....
    When you hear me and others complain here it is not because we can't catch fish (although a few nights of poor results will sometimes have us starting to question our abilities...)..but because we are not finding them.....in numbers like we did, just a few short years ago......

Another one of the old timers I know were talking on the phone just this week....he nailed a nice 17# bass at 5am 2 weeks ago in the pre-dawn surf....he certainly knows how to catch fish.....

He said to me...."Rich, those fish are coming through, and they are there, but in small pods at a time.....
    I lived through one moratorium and I fear another one is coming soon....
    You can't catch fish, that aren't there...."

I absolutely agree with him on his statement....and bring things like this to the attention of you folks, to re-iterate and raise awareness, that things are not OK with the Striped bass fishery, despite the myopic minimization of the folks at the ASMFC...
    The striped bass biomass is in trouble....

**And the fishermen who fish regularly, would see that more clearly, than scientists and politicians, who don't......

please educate yourselves about what is happening out there....don't just take my word for it....The best of the best....are saying the fishery is in trouble, and headed for a crash...with conditions similar to last time...
    Thanks, as always, for reading....

Report 11/1/13

As I said there are certain windows you know you should be out there...
    So I had to settle for last night...by the end of the night I was glad I did.....

I only wanted to fish for a few hours....
    I was successful...but it was a very slow pick on the ebb tide.....managed one about every 15 minutes, for a total of 4 short bass at that location.

The bite died at slack....
    Did some more scouting...

The building S wind really hampered my style and presentation.....
    At 20mph it was barely fishable, and I managed some more.....feisty chunky fish, all short, but clean and fresh from the sea.....
    As the wind gusts approached 25-30 mph it became an exercise in insanity to continue......I pushed on but was getting sandblasted and could barely keep in contact with my line.......

Eventually I gave it up....I believe the fish were still there but presentation was almost impossible....managed 8 more fish at that location.

** Not looking to pick on or critize anyone's comments here, but in my experience, when you find a good body of fish at night....you want a somewhat stable weather pattern. Unless they are stacked up somewhere and pushing bait..a stable weather pattern, like a hard NW or W....is much better for getting high numbers....if that was the case last night, I believe I could have doubled or tripled the numbers easily as the fish were very aggressive on the bucktail and grub,,,,,hammering it as I dragged it across a certain area......and for some reason would not hit the shad that readily....though they did hit finchaser's secret rubber recipe as well.....

Total:
    Managed 12 fish
    ....all short, some close to legal.....
    Conditions:
    Not bad at first, slightly windy, S....but more rain at my house than when fishing...and the rain held up for most of the night...really nice fall conditions...except for the lousy S wind,.gradually building to unfishable... This really sucked and had me silently regretting I had not made a sacrifice to the Wind Gods before I left home...

All newly arrived fish...believe me these fish weren't here 10 nights ago, because I was looking hard for them.
    Lots of fun and relief for my brain, good to get a bend in the rod again...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Wind Gods before I left home...

All newly arrived fish...believe me these fish weren't here 10 nights ago, because I was looking hard for them.
    Lots of fun and relief for my brain, good to get a bend in the rod again...
    Well its about time!!!!!
    Great report Dark.
    Thank you for sharing, jeesh you were due for some action.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

^^ Thanks Monty....Yeah, we can't all have the Finchaser pond in our backyard.... ...
    Some of us have to travel a bit to find them.....
    (Yes I am jealous of that Grouchy Old Freaking Basstard..... )
    But glad that I know him anyway....who else would find the time to yell at me, at least once a day, for some real or imagined offense....

like war and peace 12 posts for 2 nights of fishing the Richie Rich show is back on the air

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

^ Listen up ya grouchy basstid.......Ya know...everytime I visit you and the Old Farts at Castaways Bait and Tackle in Point.....you have animated conversations about me for the next hour after I leave....I'm better entertainment value for you old Farts than Comedy Central.

On another web site they're talking about who will catch the first november bass. You guys caught enough here to fill 25 pages of that thread. Last month fishing was so bad they were talking about freshwater fishing. Too bad most of them are blitz fishermen waiting for that big blitz to happen. I got out last night, found a nice skunk. Good going fellas keep em coming.

Jigfreak I think it's part of the rules when you join there is only a minimum of one actual report allowed every 50 pages. You nailed that one spot on!
    Great reports. finchaser jbarbosa and dark you guys are out in every kind of weather. The wind was bad last night and sounded like a hurricane coming this morning. Congrats! I am headed out tonight hope to find some of those fish. Thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Grouchy Old Freaking Basstard..... )
    I'm confused. Is he the old grouchy basstard. Grouchy old basstard? Just plain grouchy man. or just freaking old? Enqiring minds want to know. Way to go gents.

Good to see you finally had a chance to get out ds. I had a good afternoon in moco. Picked up 10 bass to 30". Sweep was strong but the fish were there. Buck and pork. All released.

Nice reports guys!! I havent been out since my skunking Wednesday...Headed down to see grandma in T River tomorrow so gonna make some stops at some of my fav OC spots in the early morn NW wind looks a bit strong but who cares..Plus im gonna swing by the Grumps havent been in that place in a WHILE i got some $$ to spend and that guys got everything

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    Good to see you finally had a chance to get out ds. I had a good afternoon in moco. Picked up 10 bass to 30". Sweep was strong but the fish were there. Buck and pork. All released.
    Nice ^.^

My brother and I were out last night.

I had a small bass follow me in but didn't commit until it was too late so a skunking for me.

My brother caught this bass and had another one of similar size on for about a minute that hit at our feet and then popped off after a lot of splashing around. Released as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Jigfreak I think it's part of the rules when you join there is only a minimum of one actual report allowed every 50 pages. You nailed that one spot on!
    Great reports. finchaser jbarbosa and dark you guys are out in every kind of weather. The wind was bad last night and sounded like a hurricane coming this morning. Congrats! I am headed out tonight hope to find some of those fish. Thanks for the tips.
    Wanted to chime in too and say how much I learned from you guys. I kind of like the bickering between finchaser and dark, and some of the other guys here. You learn something and at the same time you ask yourself if they are really as crazy as they sound!
    Fished nomoco yesterday afternoon till 8pm. Picked away at bass on a ava and redgill combo. 7 bass to 28 1/2, released. Went back this morning, got 2 bass but it was like the opening day of trout season. Someone must be shouting on the internet about the bite there because the difference in guys yesterday and this morning was astounding. You would have thought vanstall was going to be there and giving away free reels!

Nice fish gents!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast