Thread: North Carolina Sportsman magazine hunts with the NCPHA

Default North Carolina Sportsman magazine hunts with the NCPHA

Craig Holt, writer for North Carolina Sportsman magazine, recently tagged along with Chuck and I on a central NC coyote hunt. While I got to hear lots of crazy hunting stories from those two, I did not get to hear (or see) any coyotes. As Craig said, it was just "one of those days."

Before the hunt, Chuck showed Craig some of his (extensive) call collection:

We hiked in about a mile, and set up in an old cemetery. Unfortunately, the two photos I took of the cemetery disappeared from my camera. (?!) What's up with that???

After the cemetery stand, we set up on the edge of a new clearcut. Nice field of fire. No dogs, though. Rats.

Chuck and Craig pick up the decoy.

Craig Holt at work. I didn't want my lens to break; Craig is made of much sterner stuff (or at least his lens is.)

Chuck Taylor, founder of the NCPHA, with Craig Holt, sportswriter. We hunted into a cold, crisp night, to no avail.

Thanks for reading!
    Jon

Always enjoy the pics and stories guy. That garage looks huge too. Thanks for sharing

lol yeah I wish I had taken a photo of the rest of the garage. It's filled with hundreds of duck decoys, waders, fishing rods, deer heads, everything camo, and I don't know what-all. Chuck is the real deal.

Maybe one of you guys could answer. It was kind of freaky when I heard it. I was talking to a hunter and he told me in the days before there was deer urine he would take his wife's used kotex and tie it on a string around his leg. That way it would rub on the plant life as he walked through the woods. He claimed that it attracted male deer because of the blood and whether human or not did not matter. I was wondering if he was teasing me and if you ever heard of any hunters doing this. thanks

I think I'm going to barf

no I've never heard of that but I doubt anybody who did would tell me